Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romanticism and your Teenage Years

Romanticism and your Teenage Years

What is your view of romanticism as a teenager, as this demographic is what the High Hopes section is for.

Do you agree with the theory that romance is no more? That my generation has lost the true value of it? I personally agree with it. I consider myself a romantic, and it's seems to be a lonely, rare profession. I've been told many times that my way of thinking is very outdated. One instance was that, I was talking to one of my female friends about a girl that I've sparked a fancy for, and I was describing the way her eyes looked when I talked to her and various other details that are more romantic and poetic, to which my friend said, most guys today just comment on their bodies and don't even care about the person inside, that's what is normal. That's what's wrong with my generation. I've been advised many times that my gut feeling on what to say to women wouldn't be understood. This is very sad in my eyes.

I ask many of my guy friends: Would you rather be at a club with some random girl with music so loud your heart skips a beat, or be at dinner with a girl, who, with just the way she looks at you, makes your heart skip a beat. My generation prefers the former. Shame. What is your opinion?

2. Lovely thread.

Isaac, all I can say is I hope you are who you say you are because if you're not I'll be very sad.

Oh trust me, I'm the 16 year old romantic I say I am, I can't make this stuff up.

4. Good, thank you. Please understand we have had people come in here and try to fool us so forgive me if I'm a bit tentative.

I can see exactly where you are coming from, when I was writing it, I was thinking, "Oh golly, I hope they don't think I'm lying about who I am. I really am this person."

To your point, my teenage years were the 1970s, and what you posted could easily have been said about my generation.

Deep down, I truly believe, every one wants a deep romantic connection with someone special -- that makes the heart skip a beat. That hasn't changed from time immemorial. Regardless of what your friends say, I would bet they feel the same.

I remember being 14 or 15 and watching some sappy romantic movie (alone, of course) and getting all emotional, desperately wanting in my life what was projected on the TV screen. But, would I tell that to my friends Dave, Doyle and Robert? Are you kidding? As far as they were concerned, I would have far preferred a meaningless hookup with someone I had just met and would never see again. No way would I tell them any different.

Teenage boys share just about everything with each other. The longing for true love is not one of them.

Years whiz by, but nothing really changes.
    Greg
    "There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day." - Alexander Woollcott

I've been blessed, for a lack of a better word, with two guy friends who can understand my sense of romanticism. My friends, Ryan and Jacob, and I, however on varying levels of romance. Jacob is more like today's teenagers, no sense of romanticism, but he at least understands what it is. Ryan, understands it, but just doesn't like to be open about, and I'm about the worst, I'm open about it, shout it from the rooftops, I'll tell my guy friends without hesitation how beautiful I find a girl's eyes, or how lovely the sound of her voice is. I can't imagine not being able to converse with my friends about such topics.

I too am a romantic, but a teenager doesn't always think with the correct head. Beauty as they say is only skin deep, but the romantic soul lasts forever. I was fortunate to find my soul mate 32 years ago. She is just as beautiful as she was when we first met, but it is her way of acting and talking that keeps the spark alive. Just remember the song "The Way She Looks Tonight". Be true to yourself and everything else will fall into place.

Sicilian pride forever

This made me very happy to read...that "you" still exist, I knew that, but it's rare with young men today. Thank you for your post

Isaac, you appear to be a very intelligent young man who is mature beyond your years. Your peers just need to catch up with you.
    Stay true to your heart and someday, a very special girl will understand your romantic soul and appreciate you the way you want and deserve.
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.
    Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. ~ Ellie Wiesel

Thank you Dina and others who have said these kind words. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who shares this view, but alas, I wish you all attended my school so I could have someone to talk to.

I listen to Frank Sinatra, and even other artists of that time, but I feel Sinatra puts the point through more clearly, with a little bit of zazz with it, the thought just crosses my mind, where did we go wrong? Unfortunately, my generation is listening to Shake it Off, and Anaconda, please, don't listen to it. I cannot comprehend it, I don't think it's music personally. But I digress, I was listening to "They All Laughed" today, and it's an oddly romantic song, that's more funny than romantic, and it's just a fun song. It's not fully romantic, but it is leap and bounds above whatever it is that is on the radio today. My generation thinks romantic is a club and electronic music. My generation is just weird.

Isaac, your comparison of generations reminds me of this poster:

Pack a small bag....

I absolutely love that picture. It shows how easy my generation has made romance. We have been lucky enough to evolve and make things easier.

However, that begs the question, is easier always better? When it becomes easier, does it still retain the same value? If we turn romance into something that you can mettle through in one instance, is it still the same type of romance? Or is it cheap? Not thought out? I believe romance is nothing that you can just speed through. Music is by far, the easiest way to show romance, but even then, music is not easy. Sinatra and the other artists around him, were able to put so much romance into a song, but to convey that song to an audience, to have it stick with them, years later, that is the hard part. They made it so a person, could take their song, and give it to their special someone, and it would show the romance in their heart, the easiest way, to do the hardest thing in the world that you can do between two people. You cannot take a song from today, and still convey the same amount of romance. Music today, only tries to speed romance up, when it should be taken slow, and make it easy, when it is supposed to be hard.

i know what you mean, I go round to my friends houses and their rooms are covered with boy band posters, then there's me with all my Frank stuff I think girls haven't lost as much of their romanticism as much as boys although not in all cases, but even in our generation there are some romantics left...
    Laura

'This is a lovely way to spend an evening...'

Oh, by all means, the guys at my school are just downright awful when it comes to romanticism. There are girls at my school who have found, I guess you could say a happy balance, in my eyes at least, between modern teenage culture and a romantic view on life, and they're amazing to talk to about such. But then, woah, there are some girls, who are so far from any sort of romantic ideal, it's a wonder if they would even understand a Sinatra song.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Ace917 View Post
    Isaac, your comparison of generations reminds me of this poster:

anybody who "wuzlike" probably never really lived. As to the kid pictured, I refuse to afford him any of my mental space.

Maybe I lucked out thirteening in 1966. The post OPEC recession was still ten years off, and I could afford to have a lot of fun before it did. I feel badly for today's teens. It's not their fault that they've been born into this unbalanced high tech service economy with low wages and consumer expectations.

Haven't had a cellphone yet.
    ......pick yourself up...... ......dust yourself off...... ......start all over again...... (my e-mail)

That's great Bravo Isaac! I'm not such a poetic type of man but i'm surely romantic.I know some teenagers and people think that this style in today's society doesn't suit and they're deadly wrong,So man go all the way.I would prefer to have dinner with a girl i like and also slow dance to her.Well for my taste being a gentleman is the greatest value for a man.

I feel like being a romantic/gentleman, is like selling typewriters; some people might go for the nostalgia, but most have moved on.

Don't even get me started on dancing. We have a formal; and it's funny to watch what some other students think is "dressed up"; and I dread seeing all of those teenagers doing whatever it is they are compelled to do whenever they hear the music that is played. As I'm writing this, I'm listening to Night and Day by Frank Sinatra and thinking, hmmm, this would be good to dance to, but alas, my school has gotten to the point, if it isn't seizure inducing, it doesn't get played. To get back to the topic of dancing, I am not completely sure what is going on, as a teenager, I can somewhat understand what is going on in today's culture, but golly, I have no clue what is going on at the dances. I just try to steer away from the large round mass of teenagers rubbing up against each other, while some rapper recalls his evening in which, well, honestly, I don't know what he was doing. But one day, I was talking to this girl, and she was telling us about the dancing styles she does with her dance group/club/gang, and of course one of the styles was hip-hop, but there was ballet and ballroom, along with quite a few I didn't knew existed. It was at this point I said, the only type of dancing I know is the proper, ballroom, slow dancing. Everyone looked at me like I said the room was on fire. They had no clue why I would know how to do it, without the necessity of it, they didn't understand that I enjoyed doing it, it fit with my music, and it looked a heck of a lot better than whatever goes on in schools nowadays.

You're absolutely right Isaac,well i'm very bad at dancing modern things too as i like the same music as you! i know it's out of date to have good manners but don't worry about that,i mean almost every girl can appreciate it if not all you'll find a lady who will too.Never go with the mass if this doesn't represent your style,do it in Your style.I'm glad to see that people so young and including myself of course,try to express in this way. and you're sixteen! i wish i had realised these values at this age! well done!