Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mama Will Bark

Question mama will bark

hi everyone...i am just wondering if anyone has heard that song mama will bark? there has been much written about the song, how it was a mistake for frank to record it, but i've never been able to find it or hear it....any thoughts or ideas?

jl

Barking Mama

Although much has been written about "Mama Will Bark", I don't find it all that terrible. Actually, Frank sings it with great spirit and conviction. It's a silly novelty song and not the only one he did. It just happens to be the only one he did with a barking dog and non-singer Dagmar. I find it amusing and entertaining, ....if you only play it every five years or so.
    If I were listing the "doggiest" song Frank ever did, I would instead nominate " Sand and Sea" from the "That's Life" album.
    Mr. S. is obviously bored with the tune, emphasizing how trite it is.

please tell me more

hi rich, i want to know more about that subject...where did you find the songs and where can i get them now?....if i live to be a thousand, i'll never find those rarities...please help

thanks,
    jl

Red face Mama Will Bark

Okay. I agree. "Mama Will Bark" isn't a song I'd listen to on a daily basis.

Does anyone remember "The Dum-Dot Song (I Put A Penny In The Gum Slot)"?

It gets my vote for Most Irritating Song. The Pied Pipers backed Sinatra on this one.

Here's a link to the lyrics:

The Dum-Dot Song

Mama Will Bark

1951 Mama Will Bark with Mr Sinatra and Dagmar.
    Anyone know what label that was on?
    Was it an early Columbia?
    I happened to get it through a download, and can not find it on any LP's or discs now in print.

"Mama Will Bark"

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLES View Post
    Anyone know what label that was on? Was it an early Columbia?
    The novelty duet with Dagmar was a LATE Columbia, originally issued as a single in 1951 which achieved moderate success (#21 on the Billboard chart). The dog imitations were by Donald Bain, by the way. The only issue on compact disc was in The Columbia Years: The Complete Recordings box set (disc 12 of 12).

Other people may find it good or even enjoyable but I believe it's the worst song Frank ever recorded. I hardly, if ever listen to it.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

See also the following post, which includes links to more details about Frank's co-conspirators (umm... I mean fellow performers):

"Mama Will Bark" (post #337 in Beginning a new quiz)

Quote Originally Posted by SinatraFan View Post
    I hardly, if ever listen to it.
    You're not a dog lover, Allen? Woof! Woof!

I love dogs but even this song would make them howl!

The other songs on disc 12 I really enjoy and listen to them a lot.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

With the start of the Siriusly Sinatra channel 75, I would think the song should receive a revival.

(Sirius is the "Dog Star," of course. )

Hope they play the Capitol version.

14. In my experience, things that are criticized heavily, aren't that bad at all.

I have yet to hear Mama Will Bark, but it can't be that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Stunatra View Post
    In my experience, things that are criticized heavily, aren't that bad at all.

I have yet to hear Mama Will Bark, but it can't be that bad.
    Frank recorded a few hokey novelties such as The Dum Dot Song, Winchester Cathedral, Ya Better Stop and others. Arguably many of them are as bad as Mama Will Bark. I think the reason it stands out is that Frank made it during that early '50's low in his career and it featured a barking dog and Dagmar while he was on top when he recorded the others and could do no wrong.

I like "The Dum Dot Song".

I don't think I have ever heard "The Dum Dot Song "or " Momma Will Bark" I have so much to .....learn.

BTW Edwin I like "Ya Better Stop"

Quote Originally Posted by Tina View Post
    I like "Ya Better Stop"
    When is Ron going to listen to you, Tina?

Stupid song,Frank should have refused to sing it.I'm sure that Mitch Miller had something to do with it.
    TODD

I don't think it's fair or accurate to characterize Mitch Miller as untalented. He was an accomplished classical and session musician (oboe and English horn) before becoming A&R head of Columbia Records in 1950. While we (along with Frank Sinatra) may not approve of his choice of material, his brand of pop music was embraced by the buying public, and he was incredibly successful in launching the careers of many artists.