Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: WORLD ON A STRING (UMe Box Set) 2016 

1. It's the EU edition, with the "E: Exempt From Classification." The DVD is 7.16 GB.
    Andrew

I just paid for both London and World on the string together with shipping 43, and I think it is not a bad price
    "They all said we never could be happy, they laughed at us and how!
    But ho, ho, ho! Who's got the last laugh now?"

3. Quote Originally Posted by zoltantamas View Post
    I just paid for both London and World on the string together with shipping 43, and I think it is not a bad price
    Here in the US, the Great Offer Store price for both is $48, 40, or 34 shipped. With current exchange rates, selecting UK pounds is the best buy: $43 in US dollars. The same two boxes would cost $99 with free shipping from Amazon.

Bob.

I found this in a Dominican Republic tourism magazine "BOHIO" that has been in print since the 1970's. There was a recent anniversary issue and the highlight of 1982. You guessed it! I will try to hunt down the actual magazine and post my finds right here.
    __I Love FS___

Today I have received it, and I am together disappointed and pleased too. Disappointed because of the packing (it is terrible, it is very hard to get out the disc from the paper case, and then the picture from the pyramids on the cover, he is looking not well, I mean, on that one moment, when the photo was taken, he is not smiling, not crying, not speaking, he is doing I dont know what), and pleased because of its content, many great shows, mainly on DVD, a really great video concerts, but maybe I would rather include the concert from pyramids on video, and not audio.

Btw. Why was released the Concert for the Americas AGAIN? It was released before as video, and now again on audio? I think this is just wasting of the space. They could include there before havent released concert. Nevermind.
    "They all said we never could be happy, they laughed at us and how!
    But ho, ho, ho! Who's got the last laugh now?"

Quote Originally Posted by zoltantamas View Post
    Btw. Why was released the Concert for the Americas AGAIN? It was released before as video, and now again on audio? I think this is just wasting of the space.
    Can't say I agree. It's one of my favourite live FS performances and to be able to listen to it on audio only when not in front of the TV (e.g. in the car) is something I'm quite happy about - not to mention the excellent sound quality.
    let the music play as long as there's a song to sing

Still looking for the magazine. But I stumbled upon a couple of 8X10's...

Last edited by Juan Luis; 07-16-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    __I Love FS___

8. Quote Originally Posted by Juan Luis View Post
    Still looking for the magazine. But I stumbled upon a couple of 8X10's...

Ol' Blue Eyes performs on his first concert for pay television, "Sinatra - Concert For The Americas," a SHOWTIME original.
    Note that those two SHOWTIME TV publicity photos are from different shows (as evidenced by the microphones), and neither of those is from the 1982 Concert for the Americas.

(According to Steffen, in a post about the cover of the 1981 LP La Voz En Argentina, the second photo is from a Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon five years earlier.)

Bob.

__I Love FS___

Still looking for the magazine. LOL...This is on back of photogragh.
    __I Love FS___

I was watching the Japan concert on this set again the other day. I don't remember a single time when Sinatra looked happier on stage, or had more interaction with the audience. He's smiling and waving at the kids in the audience (while the musicians behind him try to stop their music stands blowing away!). It's a delightful show.

The only downside for me on this set is the Egypt concert - a legendary show, for sure, but the sound leaves quite a bit to be desired, and I can't help but think there could have been a better choice for an audio disc than this show. It wouldn't have been as much of an issue with the visuals as well.

12. For my upcoming birthday (Oct. 1) my precious Mama sent me this box set! Listening to the first disc now and enjoying Frank's performance and witty commentary
    Kate

"Frank is just like you. Just like me. Only bigger."

and then again.... sometimes ..... sometimes, all you need is Sinatra and a guitar!

This is so, so, so beautiful!

I have most everything Of Mr Sinatra- but just purchased this- Monte Carlo disc is wonderful- I am just amazed that each time I hear another live version of lady is a tramp, a new interpretation is reveal. Its almost like a new song- Love this version - New gems like Monigue , or the always fantastic Bewitch and the sweet all the way make I wish I was there 61 years ago- the added attraction from 1953 is wonderful- though i dont speak french its perfect - Hearing Laura live or the understated version of Night and Day--( seems to be the most intimate of all). I got the world on the string- Now its off to Australia- Linear notes are great- the story of his concert at Ibrox is very moving- Tears for sure from this sentimentalist - Sinatra live- Sinatra lives forever

Quote Originally Posted by jimsully View Post
    I have most everything Of Mr Sinatra- but just purchased this- Monte Carlo disc is wonderful- I am just amazed that each time I hear another live version of lady is a tramp, a new interpretation is reveal. Its almost like a new song- Love this version - New gems like Monigue , or the always fantastic Bewitch and the sweet all the way make I wish I was there 61 years ago- the added attraction from 1953 is wonderful- though i dont speak french its perfect - Hearing Laura live or the understated version of Night and Day--( seems to be the most intimate of all). I got the world on the string- Now its off to Australia- Linear notes are great- the story of his concert at Ibrox is very moving- Tears for sure from this sentimentalist - Sinatra live- Sinatra lives forever
    It's certainly great to have Monte Carlo in such good sound after years of grey market/bootleg copies floating around. Monique surpasses the studio version, I think, and Where or When is really something.

Today I had a different "audience." Usually, it's Eunice's canasta & mah jongg cronies who get to listen to my records, cds, et al. Today I had the guys over to do our softball players draft. In the background, I played some Matt Monro, some Basie, some Peggy, and, finally, "Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits, Vol. 2." As Frank was singing, "My Way," Bill Koss asked me to turn the volume up. By the time we got to "Goin' Out Of My Head," three other coaches had requested 'additional volume.' And after Frank had sung "Star," Steve Lepow said the obvious, with his obvious "Casablanca" reference, "Play it again, Stan!" It's a great compilation, showcasing Frank's wonderful takes on "contemporary (for him)" numbers..."Something," "Being Green," "I'm Not Afraid," "What's Now Is Now," "Love's Been Good To Me," et al! A truly marvelous collection!
    Stanley

I just listened to Australia 1961- the sound is absolutely amazing. Not sure, is this the longest Concert Mr Sinatra ever gave? love in the still of the night- fun to hear a request for a do over- was he off key- great to hear I' ll be seeing you live- how I adore this song .
    I could comment on each song but it would be hard 23 songs is a lot- glad he had that extra oxygen in him. I enjoyed the story about Bing Crosby before he broke into the song The second time around- as Bing said , why did he ( frank) have to come around in his lifetime- well Bing- we are so lucky he did

thanks for this release with live songs not often heard- my blue heaven ( btw - a employee of mine just 19 commented on this as a favorite of hers - ) Frank still has a connection to the newest generation - that says a lot . a wonder experiance - Bravo - heres to frank and Heres to the band