Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baseball for 2017 

I have a friend in the apartment building where I live, and he's a die-hard Cubs fans; just yesterday, he remarked that the cubs are finished for the season due to the loss of their catcher.

I remarked, "There's always hope for the Cubbies." My friend acknowledged this.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the Cubs do for the rest of the regular season.
    There's a little bit of Francis Albert Sinatra in all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by George M View Post
    I have a friend in the apartment building where I live, and he's a die-hard Cubs fans; just yesterday, he remarked that the cubs are finished for the season due to the loss of their catcher.

I remarked, "There's always hope for the Cubbies." My friend acknowledged this.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the Cubs do for the rest of the regular season.
    The Cubs just picked up a more than decent backup catcher in a trade with the Tigers. Alex Avila will never be a superstar but he's an excellent receiver and a decent left handed bat. Tell your friend not to worry. Avila will fill in adequately while Wilson Contreras recovers from his hamstring injury.
    I can't believe what you say because I see what you do. ~ James Baldwin

Thanks, Dina - I'll be sure to let my friend know that Alex Avila is worthy of the Cubs.
    There's a little bit of Francis Albert Sinatra in all of us.

Well, the Tigers managed to salvage a win today in their three game series with the Dodgers in Detroit. Lest you think that's a minor achievement, remember the Dodgers had only lost 5 games in the last six weeks!

5. Yes, we know.

Not that it means anything, but I would love to see Giancarlo Stanton have an amazing September, and finish with 74 home runs (he now has 51) -- one more than Barry Bonds! Bonds' steroid use was so blatant, I could never understand how he escaped prosecution! I have a Bonds rookie card (when he was with the Bucs), and I have one from late in his Giant career -- the size of his head on the latter card was TWICE that of his rookie season! Unreal! And frightening!
    Stanley

That guy - and that era - were really a black mark on baseball.

As for this season, it might as well not have happened for Mets fans.
    Robert

I'm not very happy with the management team of the Detroit Tigers today. They warned us there would be a new philosophy after the death of longtime owner Mike Ilitch but I honestly didn't expect the fire sale the last six weeks has brought.

It began with JD Martinez to Arizona, continued with Justin Wilson and Alex Avila to the Cubs, and ended with Justin Upton to the Angels and Justin Verlander to Houston. I understand rebuilding but this feels like giving up. Or maybe they just wanted to rid the team of players named Justin? This season has been forgettable, with many veterans underachieving, but this is not the result I expected.

They haven't left fans with much hope for the next few seasons either. They have gotten a lot of minor league "prospects" in return but most are at the Single A or Double A level and won't be ready for the majors for years. There won't be any joy in Motown for a while - at least not for Tigers fans.

The Mets are playing in Houston. They are losing, but I'm glad they are able to play.
    Rhoda

And there used to be a ballpark right here.

10. MY Indians beat YOUR Tigers on Friday and Saturday. Going for a sweep today (Sunday, Sept 3)
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.

Dodgers are outta that funk. Wooooo!
    Don't go through life. Grow through life.

12. Tonight is the first playoff game between the Indians and the Yankees. Best of 5. GO TRIBE

My favorite song.

13. The Indians won 4 - 0.

My favorite song.

Last night's Yankee-Indian game was very exciting! If every game was an extra inning thriller (the Indians won 9-8 in 13), it might tear fans away from the NFL! I have lots of rooting interests this post-season! I'm rooting for the Astros to win it all because they've NEVER won a world series, and have been in existence since the early '60's! I won't be disappointed if the Indians win -- it has been 69 years since they last won! I also wouldn't mind if Washington wins -- the city's last series winner -- the Senators -- won in 1924! For some reason, no mention has been made of the Senators' history! The Nationals, of course, are "the very new kids on the block!"
    Stanley

Itís bittersweet for me to see so many ex-Tigers in the playoffs: pitchers Justin Verlander of the Astros, Max Scherzer of the Nationals, David Price, Rick Porcello and Doug Fister of the Red Sox, and Justin Wilson of the Cubs. Catcher Alex Avila of the Cubs and outfielders Curtis Granderson of the Dodgers, JD Martinez of the Diamondbacks, Rajai Davis of the Red Sox, Austin Jackson of the Indians, and Cameron Maybin of the Astros. Heck, even pitcher Andrew Miller of the Indians was once a Detroit first round draft pick.
    I wish them all well but, Iím hoping for a Dodgers/Astros World Series. It would be fantastic to see a Verlander and Clayton Kershaw match up in game one!

When it comes to TV ratings, baseball plays a distant second fiddle to the NFL. But not tonite! The Yankees and Indians' fifth game to determine who moves on to play the Astros for the pennant should garner a huge audience! Even though the game is in Cleveland, and even though Kluber is pitching for the Tribe, I'm betting on the Yankees! Just a hunch. Hope it's an exciting contest!
    Stanley

17. Hope your hunch is wrong..

My favorite song.

Quote Originally Posted by sschweiger View Post
    I'm betting on the Yankees! Just a hunch.
    I'm betting the game is rained out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I'm betting the game is rained out.
    I hope not. I wrapped up early today so I could get home and watch it. I'm wearing my lucky Yankees jersey! That should count for somethin'

God, I love baseball season.
    Don't go through life. Grow through life.

20. Although I am broken hearted I congratulate the Yankees

My favorite song.