Thread: Nancy's Duets: Rarities & Classics

Nancy's Duets: Rarities & Classics

Nancy's Tri-Tones with her dad (FS Show, 1957) ... Nancy with Frankie Avalon ("Who's Afraid Of Mother Goose," 1967) ... Nancy with Frankie (NBC Valentine's special, 1978) ... Nancy with AJ (at The Bottom Line in NYC, 2002)

Fifty years ago, on April 15, 1967, Nancy & Frank's iconic duet, "Somethin' Stupid," hit number 1 on Billboard's Hot 100, the only father-daughter duet with that distinction. It would reside at the top for four of its thirteen weeks on the chart and be certified gold, selling several million copies around the world. For more details, see Nancy's blog: "Some Clever Lines to Say": “Somethin’ Stupid’s” 50th Anniversary.

Of course, Nancy has recorded dozens of classic duets. Studio collaborations with her dad, Lee Hazlewood, Mel Tillis, Elvis Presley and Dean Martin (the first-ever electronic duet), among others, are widely known. However, there is a vast trove of rare, often unrecognized duets in Nancy's body of work from television and stage performances, most of which have never been issued on any format.

The variety of material and approaches are extraordinary: creative medleys with Glen Campbell; a rendition of Randy Newman's "Love Story (You And Me)" with Tom Smothers; a jazzy studio demo with Billy Strange interpreting a Mel Tormé hit; the Country Top 20 covers of 1981 chart hits; concert performances with Eric Burdon and Brian Wilson for Allman Brothers and Beach Boys classics, respectively ...

Nancy with Glen Campbell (Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, 1969) ... Nancy with Mickey Gilley (Country Top 20, 1981) ... Nancy with Eric Burdon (at the Whisky A-Go-Go, 2000) ... Nancy with Brian Wilson (at BB King's in L.A., 1998)

... and a pair of Nancy's signature songs, with Wilco as her backing band. In an interview broadcast on BBC Radio's Woman's Hour (May 4, 2015), Nancy recalled this special collaboration.

The new generations of people seem to enjoy the songs too. The band Wilco, they invited me to sing with them at a show last year. And I was shocked because when I walked out on the stage, there were like 15,000 people and they went a little crazy ... and it kind of blew me away. They all knew the words to "Boots" and "Bang Bang" and they sang along. If you can reach the next generation and the next generation, then I think you've accomplished something.
    Part One: The Rarities: TV, Stage and Demos

Part Two: The Classics: Released Studio Recordings

Part Three: The Collaborators
    Last edited by AndrewT; 04-01-2017 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Added link to blog post.
    Andrew

The Rarities: TV, Stage and Demos • Songs: A-I

Nancy with The Righteous Brothers (Hullabaloo, 1966) ... Nancy with Dom DeLuise (The Dean Martin Show, 1973) ... Nancy with Richard Barone and Debbie Harry (Peggy Lee Tribute, 2003) ... Nancy with Connie Stevens (USO Benefit, 2010)

All The Way
    with Tommy Sands
    Perry Como's Kraft Music Hall
    NBC: November 15, 1961

A musical meeting of the generations with Perry Como, Rudy Vallee, Tommy Sands and Nancy features a 5-minute medley. The duo of Perry & Rudy perform songs from Rudy's career. Nancy & Tommy interpret FS standards: "I'll Never Smile Again (sung by Nancy) / Witchcraft (sung by Tommy)" and "All The Way" (Nancy & Tommy). Perry and Rudy join Nancy and Tommy for the medley's finale, "Young At Heart."

Although a black and white kinescope has survived, the program was originally broadcast in color, apparently Nancy's first appearance in "living color on NBC."

Arkansas Coal (Suite)
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy And Lee In Las Vegas
    Filmed at the Riviera Hotel in 1972
    TV 1, Sweden: January 13, 1973

A story song from the Nancy & Lee Again studio album, "Arkansas Coal's" emotional live performance is captured as a single camera pans back and forth between Nancy and Lee's narratives.

As Tears Go By
    with The Knickerbockers
    Shivaree
    Syndicated: February 5, 1966

Nancy lip-synced (to her original track) this Jagger-Richards-penned Marianne Faithfull hit as the Knickerbockers, also featured guests on the program, appeared as her backing group. Nancy had recorded the song, as well as The Knickerbockers' "Lies," for her new Boots LP. In 1970, Knickerbockers drummer Jimmy Walker would record Mac Davis's "Chop No Wood," a song published by Nancy's B-n-B Music.

Bang Bang
    with Wilco
    Live at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre in Irvine, CA for the AmericanaramA Festival of Music Tour
    August 3, 2013

Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy's introduction for Nancy:

We've been traveling all over the country and have been asking people that we love to come out and play with us. We've had a lot of our heroes come out and play with us. And I don’t think anyone has excited us more than tonight. We have one of our heroes, from the area:
    Nancy Sinatra, everybody...
    Nancy's August 4, 2013 tweet to Wilco:

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy
    Thanks for inviting me to sing with you. It was a blast! You guys are the best.

Beatles Medley: I've Just Seen A Face/Run For Your Life/Girl/Wait/Michelle
    with The Righteous Brothers
    Hullabaloo
    NBC: February 21, 1966

Nancy's second appearance on Hullabaloo included this medley which displays her affinity for interpreting Lennon & McCartney material and her obvious chemistry with Bobby Hatfield & Bill Medley. Additionally the program included Nancy's live rendition of her soon-to-be number 1 hit, "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" and her introduction for The Righteous Brothers' performance of "Soul And Inspiration." Nearly 40 years later, Nancy would collaborate with Bill's daughter, McKenna, and dear friend Connie Stevens on a Chuck Berry classic at Rolling Thunder (see "Johnny B. Goode").

Bicycle Built For Two, A
    with Frank Sinatra Jr.
    The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour
    CBS: February 18, 1968

Nancy's second Smothers Brothers episode once again paired her with Frankie. For their first Smothers Brothers appearance almost one year earlier, they had performed then-current chart topper "Somethin' Stupid."

Blondes
    with Connie Stevens
    A Tribute To The USO: A Benefit Concert
    February 21, 2010

"Blondes" had been a piece of special material written by Billy Barnes for the November 10, 1969 episode of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. Nancy's solo performance of "Blondes" was heard on the Nancy & Lee In Las Vegas TV special.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Connie Stevens and I sang a piece of special material that I used to do on stage decades ago. It’s called "Blondes" and it was written for Goldie Hawn and Carol Channing to sing on Laugh-In. A little dated but great fun.

Blowin' In The Wind
    with Darlene Love
    Live at the Sahara Tahoe

Nancy has mentioned the existence of this recording, but has lamented its substandard audio quality. Nancy interpreted Dylan's "It Ain't Me Babe" for the Boots LP. Her Bones Howe-produced version of "Like A Rolling Stone" had been recorded in the mid-1970s, but was not issued until 1998's How Does It Feel? CD.

I'm on a Bob Dylan kick today so I just played the live version of Darlene Love and me singing Dylan's Blowin' In the Wind but it's a crappy recording from the Sahara Tahoe so there is really nothing I can do with it I'm afraid. It's such a shame we didn't record those shows properly so we could share them with all of you.

Born To Be Wild
    with Eric Burdon
    Live at The Whisky A-Go-Go, Hollywood, CA
    December 29, 2000

In addition to this live duet with The Animals' former lead vocalist Eric Burdon, Nancy performed "Born To Be Wild" at the House of Blues in L.A. for the Heart Of A Child Foundation benefit (heard as an excerpt on an August 1998 broadcast of Entertainment Tonight) and on the TV special Nancy Sinatra Live In Edinburgh (BBC, August 23, 2002). (Also see: "Midnight Rider")

Bossman
    with AJ Lambert (backing vocal)
    The Sopranos: "Chasing It"
    HBO: April 29, 2007

Nancy and AJ perform an excerpt of the original recording. See Nancy's site for photos:

[Medley:] By The Time I Get To Phoenix (Glen Campbell)/I Say A Little Prayer (Nancy)
    The Summer Brothers Smothers Show (Hosted by Glen Campbell)
    CBS: June 23, 1968

Nancy was Glen's guest on the first episode of this summer replacement series. The counterpoint duet approach would also be invoked less than a year later for their “Memories / I’ll Remember You,” when Nancy would guest on the April 16, 1969 episode of The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour.

Can't Get Out Of This Mood
    with Page Cavanaugh (piano)
    November 13, 2006
    Unreleased

One of three tracks recorded with Page that were intended for Nancy's unreleased jazz album, No Harm Done.

Alan Broadbent also worked on the album's ten other songs.

The tracks are really nice so far. Alan Broadbent did the arrangements and played the piano. He is magnificently talented and it was my good fortune to work with him.

In a nutshell the songs tell the story of "girl meets boy, girl gets boy, girl loses boy, girl gets sad, girl gets angry and then moves on."
    Each song is part of the love story:

CAN’T GET OUT OF THIS MOOD

This first song ends with the line, "Heartbreak, here I come."
    She already knows she is heading into rough waters.

Christmas Song, The
    with Tina Sinatra, Deana Martin, Claudia Martin & Gina Martin
    The Dean Martin Christmas Show
    NBC: December 21, 1967

One of many collaborations from the family-themed Christmas episode of Dean's variety series. Nancy warmly remembers this show, citing it as her favorite Christmas show, during the 2003 Q & A with Tina Sinatra and William Self at the Museum of Television and Radio: "It's just fabulous. It's really beautiful."

Comin' Home Baby
    with Billy Strange
    Unreleased studio demo

Although unreleased, this rare vocal pairing of Nancy and Billy Strange on a Mel Tormé hit has been employed as an SFF memorial entry page for Billy in 2012 and has been played on several Nancy For Frank SiriusXM shows.

[Medley:] Deck The Halls/O Little Town Of Bethlehem/Joy To The World
    with Frank Sinatra, Frank Sinatra Jr., Tina Sinatra, Dean Martin, Claudia Martin, Craig Martin, Dean-Paul Martin, Deana Martin, Gail Martin, Gina Martin, Ricci Martin, Jeanne Martin

Nancy had worked with Claudia Martin on two motion pictures: 1964' s For Those Who Think Young (Nancy's first big screen role) and 1966's The Ghost In The Invisible Bikini. Nancy and Dean had co-starred with FS in 1965's Marriage On The Rocks.

Did You Ever?
    with Lee Hazlewood

This stage performance of Nancy & Lee's smash 1971 U.K. hit includes some cute synchronized head tilts.

[Medley:] Ding Dong/It's A Most Unusual Day
    with Gail Martin and Jack Halloran's Choir

Originally sung by Jane Powell in the 1948 motion picture A Date With Judy, "It's A Most Unusual Day" is performed by Nancy & Gail as part of a medley with "Ding Dong"

Don't Let Him Waste Your Time
    accompanied by Jarvis Cocker & Richard Hawley
    Friday Night With Jonathan Ross
    BBC One: October 1, 2004

Nancy appears with songwriter Jarvis Cocker and Richard Hawley, who co-produced the NS 2004 studio rendition. Nancy has mentioned the existence of an unreleased acoustic studio version.

Jarvis is amazing.
    Richard is an awesome guitarist. WOW!

[Medley:] Downtown/These Boots Are Made For Walkin'
    with Frank Sinatra
    A Man And His Music, Part II
    CBS: December 7, 1966

Frank introduces the medley by telling Nancy, "One of your songs with my sound."

In addition to "Boots," Nancy & Frank collaborated on the Tony Hatch-penned Petula Clark hit "Downtown." The song had been recorded by Frank (solo) on May 16th for his Strangers In The Night album, three weeks prior to this special's production on June 5th and 6th.

A Man And His Music, Part II has had numerous releases on VHS, LaserDisc and DVD. See: "Yes Sir, That's My Baby (Yes Sir, That's My Daddy)."

Drummer Man
    featuring Hal Blaine on drums
    Ed Sullivan Presents Movin' With Nancy, On Stage
    CBS: April 4, 1971

In discography notes that appeared at Hal's former website, he wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Blaine
    Nancy paid me an incredible honor featuring me on her major T.V. special on The Ed Sullivan Show. Nancy, my monster set of drums and the show was a major hit on CBS. She's just the greatest person a man could know and I'm so happy to have been her drummer for over 30 beautiful years.. Love you 'Nanny'.. as we called her, just the best!!
    In September 1969, "Drummer Man" had become Nancy's twenty-first single on Billboard's Hot 100 chart.

Easy Come, Easy Go
    with The Osmonds & The Blossoms

A live performance of a then-recent Bobby Sherman hit. Just three weeks before this broadcast, Nancy and Bobby had been co-presenters of the Grammy for Best Contemporary Female Vocal to Dionne Warwick on the music industry's 13th annual presentation, the first live Grammys broadcast.

Exactly Like You
    The Tri-Tones (Nancy, Belinda Burrell, Jane Ross)
    The Frank Sinatra Show
    ABC: November 1, 1957

Fella With An Umbrella, A
    with Dom DeLuise
    The Dean Martin Show
    NBC: April 12, 1973

This brief but very sweet collaboration was an element of the "Easter Parade" segment. Nancy, Frankie and Dom had been guests on the April 30, 1967 episode of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.

... He was my friend for more than 40 years. A wonderful man with a great wife and kids.

Fortuosity
    with Thog of The Muppets
    Movin' With Nancy, Nice 'n' Easy
    Incomplete NBC TV Special: Produced in August 1971

An adaptation of Nancy's June and July 1971 shows at the International Hotel in Las Vegas with The Muppets, her third MWN TV special has not been released.

A June 21, 1971 AP wirephoto of Nancy and Thog reported:

Nancy Sinatra clowns with Thog, one of the Muppet characters who moved from Sesame Street to the Las Vegas Strip for the summer. The Muppets appear with Nancy and Frank Sinatra Jr. in the showroom of the International Hotel. Muppet creator Jim Henson says it could be a preview for a full-length Muppet production on Broadway.
    Movin’ With Nancy, Nice 'n' Easy was taped at NBC Burbank studios. It's a shame we couldn't finish it (no money) because it would have been a good show. What we have of it is more a collection of what would now be called music videos. They are still entertaining and fun […].

It was a work in progress that didn't progress far enough, but there are some real gems on those tapes – especially the Muppets. They will knock your socks off.

Funiculì, Funiculà
    with Perry Como
    The Many Moods Of Perry Como
    NBC: February 22, 1970

Following Perry's recollections of Nancy's childhood, they sing a rousing "Funiculì, Funiculà." The arrangement was by Perry's music director Nick Perito, who had conducted some of Nancy's early 1960s Reprise single recordings: "June, July And August," "Think Of Me," "You Can Have Any Boy."

Geronimo
    with The Bobby Fuller Four
    The Ghost In The Invisible Bikini
    Theatrical release: April 1966
    DVD release: February 2005

Nancy sings as The Bobby Fuller Four ("I Fought The Law") appear as the vocal and instrumental backing group, in a scene from Nancy's fourth motion picture. The recording was given its first and only audio release on a physical format with the 1999 You Go-Go Girl! compilation CD. The song was subsequently issued on the 2006 Bubblegum Girl, Vol. 2 download collection.

Gunslinger
    Nancy sings to Bob Hope
    Chrysler Presents The Bob Hope Special
    NBC: March 19, 1969

Very clever use of an old Limelighters song, as Nancy musically psychoanalyzes gunslinger Bob Hope.

Happy Medley
    with Dean Martin
    The Dean Martin Show

Unfortunately, this performance was not included in the abridged version of the episode released on Time Life’s King Of Cool: The Best Of The Dean Martin Variety Show 6-DVD box set.

He's A Tramp [as part of a medley with "The Siamese Cat Song"]
    with Debbie Harry
    Live at Carnegie Hall for There'll Be Another Spring: A Tribute to Miss Peggy Lee
    June 23, 2003

Regarding Peggy Lee, Nancy has said:

The music legacy is dear and extremely valuable,
    but the woman herself is priceless and irreplaceable.
    See: "The Siamese Cat Song/He's A Tramp."

Hey Good Lookin'
    with Tommy Sands
    The Ed Sullivan Show
    CBS: November 17, 1963

Nancy's first of ten guest appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Husbands And Wives
    with Hugh Lambert
    Dinah!
    Syndicated: April 18, 1975

Nancy and her husband, choreographer Hugh Lambert, appeared on several TV talk and game shows during the mid-1970s, as well as collaborating on Nancy's stage performances.

I Couldn’t Sleep A Wink Last Night
    November 13, 2006
    Unreleased

Another track intended for Nancy's unreleased No Harm Done album.

Each song is part of the love story ...

I COULDN’T SLEEP A WINK LAST NIGHT

They have their first fight.

I Feel The Earth Move
    with The Muppets

On Nancy For Frank Nancy Show #340, Nancy recalled doing this song "with 15-20-feet tall gigantic Muppets."

I Just Can't Help Believing
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Record Plant demo
    September 1978
    Unreleased

One of eight demos that Nancy recorded at The Record Plant with Lee Hazlewood as producer, this unreleased duet is a cover of the Barry Mann-Cynthia Weil hit by BJ Thomas in 1970. The song was performed by Elvis Presley in his 1970 That's The Way It Is concert film, and was later released on a 1971 single.

I Like What I See When I Look At You
    Nancy sings to Doug McClure
    The Virginian: "If You Have Tears"
    NBC: February 13, 1963

"Barmaid" Nancy, in her first acting role, serenades Doug McClure with this song as a fight breaks out during a card game that includes Virginian star James Drury and her future Man From U.N.C.L.E. co-star Robert Vaughn.

I remember it well.

That's when I met Doug McClure, Jim Drury and Clu Gulager.

I was scared to death because it was my maiden voyage as an actress. I [also] sang a song called, "If I Had Tears" and, since I played a barmaid, I was supposed to drink shooters like a sailor might. (No offense to the US Navy.)

It was a disaster!

I Love A Rainy Night
    with Mickey Gilley (co-host)
    Country Top 20
    Syndicated: Late 1981

Eddie Rabbitt's then-current hit.

Beginning in the fall of 1981, Nancy was the co-host for a series of monthly specials featuring the latest hits in country music. Produced by Bob Banner (Solid Gold), the programs were taped at the Imperial Palace in Las Vegas.

I Love Them All (The Boys In The Band)
    with The Rutgers University Marching Band
    The Ed Sullivan Show
    CBS: March 8, 1970

Nancy performed her latest single, which had been produced by The 4 Seasons' Bob Gaudio, on her tenth appearance on Ed Sullivan's long-running variety series.

Actually it went from a parklike setting with a gazebo and string quartet, to a marching band. It was quite a production. The idea was to make the innocence play against the lyrics of the song.

I'll Never Smile Again (Nancy)/Witchcraft (Tommy Sands)

An element of the 5-minute medley by Perry Como, Rudy Vallee, Tommy & Nancy. See: "All The Way" and "Young At Heart."

I'll String Along With You
    November 13, 2006
    Unreleased

The third track that Nancy recorded with Page, intended for her unreleased No Harm Done album.

Each song is part of the love story ...

I’LL STRING ALONG WITH YOU

With this song she is already realizing he may not feel the same way she does. "You may not be an angel... (but, I'll string along with you...)"

In My Room
    with Brian Wilson
    Live at BB King's in L.A.
    November 23, 1998

Not to be confused with Verdelle Smith's "In My Room" which is included on Nancy's Boots LP, this Brian Wilson-penned Beach Boys classic was performed when Brian joined Nancy on stage.

Indian Summer (L'été Indien)
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Dinah!
    Syndicated: January 1977

Nancy and Lee performed their recently released Private Stock single, as well as their classic "Summer Wine."

It's Nice To Go Trav'ling
    with Frank Sinatra, Joey Bishop, Sammy Davis Jr. and Elvis Presley
    The Frank Sinatra Timex Show: It's Nice To Go Trav'ling/Welcome Home Elvis
    ABC: May 12, 1960

Last edited by AndrewT; 03-11-2018 at 05:21 AM.
    Andrew

The Rarities: TV, Stage and Demos • Songs: J-S

Nancy with Bobby Darin (Bobby Darin Show, 1973) ... Nancy with Nipsey Russell (Dean Martin Show, 1973) ... Nancy with Johnny Lee (Country Top 20, 1981) ... Nancy with McKenna Medley & Connie Stevens (Rolling Thunder, 2004)

Jackson
    with The Osmonds
    The Andy Williams Show
    NBC: October 25, 1969

The Osmonds join Nancy for the Nancy & Lee/Johnny & June Carter Cash classic, penned by Jerry Leiber & Billy Edd Wheeler. Of the song, Lee said in a 1971 interview on BBC-TV's The Rolf Harris Show: "That one I didn’t write, and I get credit for it!"

Jackson
    with Lee Hazlewood

Five years earlier, Nancy & Lee had filmed "Jackson" (to their original track) at a monastery in Malibu for the Emmy-winning Movin' With Nancy TV special.

Johnny B. Goode
    with Bill Medley, Connie Stevens & McKenna Medley
    Rolling Thunder
    Memorial Day Weekend 2004

Honoring our troops and veterans at the annual Memorial Day weekend Rolling Thunder events in Washington, D.C., Nancy, Connie Stevens and Bill Medley's daughter, McKenna, collaborated as back-up singers on Bill Medley's rendition of the Chuck Berry hit.

Kaleidoscope
    with Rod McKuen
    The Kraft Music Hall: The Nancy Sinatra Show
    NBC: January 8, 1969

Written by Rod McKuen, "Kaleidoscope" was his January 1969 Warner Bros. solo single (7259). Billboard's January 18, 1969 "Special Merit Spotlight" enthused, "Fascinating Rod McKuen ballad material with a performance and catchy rhythm arrangement that sticks with you. Loaded with sing-along quality, the lush folk-flavored material could prove a big one."

Rod was a good friend. Fortunately for me he was one of my guests when I hosted the Kraft Music Hall program. We had such a good time doing that show. We sang his song Kaleidoscope as a duet.
    This duet has been issued on the 2017 compilation CD Love's Been Good To Me - The Songs Of Rod McKuen.

Law And Order, We Love You
    with Henry Gibson, Ruth Buzzi, Dave Madden, Jo Anne Worley, Alan Sues, Judy Carne, Chelsea Brown, Goldie Hawn, JJ Barry, Arte Johnson
    Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In
    NBC: January 20, 1969

On Nancy's first episode of the trailblazing comedy/variety series, the cast performs this raucous Billy Barnes-composed/Hugh Lambert-choreographed production number.

Let It Be Me
    with Johnny Lee
    Country Top 20

Nancy and her Country Top 20 co-host for this episode interpreted an Everly Brothers classic, which Nancy had recorded for her 1966 How Does That Grab You? album.

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow
    with Dean-Paul Martin, Frank Sinatra Jr. & Gail Martin

Light My Fire
    with Bobby Darin
    The Bobby Darin Show
    NBC: February 9, 1973

Nancy and Bobby collaborated on The Doors' signature hit, which Nancy had included on her Nancy [Twelve Ways] LP four years earlier. Nancy also performed the song on Frankie's 1969 TV special.

Nancy is too modest in her assessment of this terrific duet.

Bobby Darin and I did a duet of Light My Fire on his tv show. It was pretty good.

Looks Like We Made It Through The '60s [Laugh-In Salute To The '60s]
    with Goldie Hawn & Ruth Buzzi
    NBC: December 29, 1969

At the close of the decade, the trio of Nancy, Goldie Hawn and Ruth Buzzi good-naturedly skewered the pop culture of the "sexy…see-through…top-and-bottom-less '60s" with “a swinging salute," during Nancy's second appearance on Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In.

Looks Like We Made It Through The '60s (reprise) [Laugh-In Salute To The '60s]
    with Goldie Hawn, Ruth Buzzi, Teresa Graves & Jo Ann Worley

Love Medley
    with Hugh Lambert & Arte Johnson
    Dinah!
    Syndicated: April 18, 1975

Beyond Laugh-In, Arte, who had been a guest on Frankie's CBS special, also worked with Nancy for her Las Vegas nightclub shows.

Love Story (You And Me)
    with Tom Smothers
    The Smothers Brothers Summer Show
    ABC: July 8, 1970

Nancy's final appearance on a Smothers Brothers TV show featured this Randy Newman standard. Nancy's friend Harry Nilsson, who was also a guest, had released, just a few months earlier, his Nilsson Sings Newman album which includes this song.

Love's Like Wine
    with Dick Smothers
    CBS: April 30, 1967

This song was penned by Smothers Brothers writer Mason Williams. Nancy would record a 30-second spot for Mason Williams' 1968 Classical Gas Warner Bros. promotional 45 and introduce the winner of the Best Contemporary Pop Performance Instrumental Theme - "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams at the 11th Annual Grammy Awards in 1969.

Mahna Mahna
    with The Muppets

"Mah Nà Mah Nà," first heard in the 1968 Italian documentary Svezia, Inferno e Paradiso, had been performed in a 1969 sketch on Sesame Street.

Mama Goes Where Papa Goes
    with Don Crichton
    The Jonathan Winters Show
    January 24, 1968 (CBS)

Dancer Don Crichton as "Papa" in this performance of a song from the Sugar album.

Medley
    with Jack Jones
    The Highlights Of The Ice Capades Of 1969
    Taped on August 27-28, 1968 in Atlantic City
    NBC: February 16, 1969

Nancy's Emmy-winning Movin' With Nancy producer/director, Jack Haley Jr., also produced this special.

[Medley:] Memories(Nancy)/I'll Remember You (Glen Campbell)
    The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour
    CBS: April 16, 1969

For the show, Nancy and Glen created a haunting vocal collaboration with their counterpoint duet on "Memories / I’ll Remember You." The flip side of Nancy’s then-current hit single, "Here We Go Again," and a cut on the Nancy [Twelve Ways] LP, "Memories" was written by Nancy’s producer/arranger Billy Strange and Mac Davis for Elvis Presley's 1968 "comeback" TV special. Mac would become the premier songwriter for Nancy and Billy's publishing company, B-n-B Music. "I'll Remember You" had been Don Ho's first single for Reprise. He had been discovered by Nancy and brought to the attention of Reprise Records and producer Sonny Burke.

Meter Maid Song, The (When You're A Meter Maid)
    with Chelsea Brown, Judy Carne and Goldie Hawn

A quartet of singing meter maids: Nancy, Chelsea Brown, Goldie Hawn and Judy Carne perform a piece of special material by Billy Barnes, with choreography by Hugh Lambert.

We're wearin' boots, but they're not for walkin.'

Midnight Rider
    with Eric Burdon
    Live at The Whisky A-Go-Go, Hollywood, CA
    December 29, 2000

Nancy and Eric interpreted an Allman Brothers classic.

Movies (Signature)
    with Dean Martin, William Conrad, Dom Deluise, Nipsey Russell, Kay Medford & The Dingaling Sisters in the finale of a salute to Easter Parade
    The Dean Martin Show

Multiplication
    with Dinah Shore
    Dinah's Place
    NBC: March 22, 1974

Dinah Shore and an expectant Nancy sang this song on Dinah's morning talk/variety show. Nancy's mother and sister Tina were also guests. AJ would be born two months later, May 22nd. "Multiplication" had been performed by its writer, Bobby Darin, in his 1961 film Come September.

My Funny Valentine
    Frank sings to Nancy
    The Frank Sinatra Show
    ABC: February 14, 1958

Nancy, who was still wearing her school clothes, was a last minute substitution for her sister, Tina, who had developed stage fright.

My Kind Of Town (Chicago Is)
    with Bobby Darin
    The Bobby Darin Show
    NBC: February 9, 1973

As part of a large production number saluting Chicago, Nancy and Bobby appear with Geoff Edwards and Dick Bakalyan. Bakalyan ("Dickie B.") had been in the cast of The Vendors, an unreleased movie which Bobby had produced, written and directed, and was filmed in Nancy's house.

Nancy/Don't Look At Me That Way
    with Perry Como intro
    The Many Moods Of Perry Como
    NBC: February 22, 1970

Perry introduces Nancy with a few bars of "Nancy (With The Laughing Face)."

On The Road Again
    with Johnny Lee
    Country Top 20

Nancy and co-host Johnny Lee cover Willie Nelson.

[Medley:] One Of Those Songs (Peggy, Sergio, Nancy)/Why Don't You Do Right (Nancy)/These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (Sergio)/Al Di La (Peggy)/Autumn Leaves (Sergio)/Where Or When (Nancy)/I Concentrate On You (Peggy)/M'Lord (Peggy, Sergio, Nancy)
    with Peggy Lee & Sergio Franchi
    The Ed Sullivan Show
    CBS: October 1, 1967

We sang each other's hits and it was very cute.
    He was such a nice man.

Purple Rain
    with AJ Lambert
    The Bottom Line, New York City
    May 31-June 1, 2002

Penned and recorded by Prince as the title song for his first film, in 1984. Nancy has performed "Purple Rain" only a few times on stage and has not recorded a studio version.

Photos from The Bottom Line can be viewed at Nancy's site.

San Francisco
    with The Osmonds

Around this time, Nancy recorded "San Francisco" for her California-themed album which would be released more than 30 years later as California Girl.

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town/These Boots Were Made For Santa/Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (reprise)
    with Gail Martin

Nancy & Gail collaborate on the finale of a medley of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" (Gail) / "These Boots Were Made For Santa" (Nancy) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (reprise with Nancy & Gail).

Shangri-La
    as part of the all-star chorus with The Rutles
    Music Video
    September 9, 1996

Real rock pioneer Nancy collaborated with spoof-rock pioneers The Rutles as she joined the all-star chorus for "Shangri-La," a Rutles music video reminiscent of The Beatles' global satellite television presentation of "All You Need Is Love" (1967) and USA for Africa's "We Are The World" (1985).

Shoe Medley: A Shine On your Shoes/Old Soft Shoe/Put Your Shoes On Lucy/Shoo-Fly Pie/The Man I Love/Kids (What's The Matter With Kids)/Heart And Soul/Blue Suede Shoes/The Man I Love/There's A Small Hotel/Them Golden Slippers/A Shine on Your Shoes (reprise)
    with Robert Goulet
    Hollywood Palace
    ABC: March 19, 1966

Obviously a nod to the mega success of "These Boots Are Made For Walkin,'" which was still on the charts at the time.

[Medley:] Siamese Cat Song, The/He's A Tramp
    with Debbie Harry
    Live at Carnegie Hall for There'll Be Another Spring: A Tribute to Miss Peggy Lee
    June 23, 2003

The Carnegie Hall show was recorded by NPR. Nancy would also perform "He's A Tramp" as part of the tribute at the Hollywood Bowl, July 14, 2004 and Ravinia Festival, Chicago, July 20, 2004.

I was thrilled to have been invited back.

Carnegie Hall!
    The Hollywood Bowl!

Two stages I've dreamed of walking but never thought I would. And now, thanks to Miss Peggy Lee and her family, my dreams of singing there are coming true.

What a feeling!
    See the photo linked in Nancy's quote:

Twenty-seven years earlier, Nancy and Debbie's band, Blondie, had been labelmates at Larry Uttal's Private Stock Records

Side By Side
    with Frank Sinatra
    University High School Assembly
    October 28, 1955

Two years prior to the Tri-Tones' episode of The Frank Sinatra Show, Nancy and her dad had sung "Side By Side" at a University High School assembly, marking the first public collaboration by Nancy and Frank.

Side By Side
    The Tri-Tones (Nancy, Belinda Burrell, Jane Ross) with Frank Sinatra
    The Frank Sinatra Show
    ABC: November 1, 1957

Nancy and her University High School friends Belinda and Jane appeared as The Tri-Tones on Frank's TV series. On Nancy For Frank Show #330 (August 21, 2106), Nancy reminisced and provided an update about The Tri-Tones:

We were in junior high and we formed a little trio and my dad put us on his TV show. Why, I do not know. ... It's cute. ...

Janie [now] lives up north. She has a little farm. She sends me olive oil now and then. Belinda, or "Binny" as we called her, I don't know where Binny is. I have to track her down.
    Although the audio version of "Side By Side" was released on the Classic Duets CD, the video version has not been issued. See: "Exactly Like You."

Sinatra Big Band Era Medley
    with Frank Sinatra Jr.
    Sinatra: The First 40 Years
    NBC: January 3, 1980

Unfortunately, this performance was not included on the U.K. DVD release of the special.

Frankie and I did a medley of songs representing the big band era. Apparently there was a problem with the balance. I was too loud and he was too soft or vice versa, so they decided not to use our portion of the show.

Snookey Ookums
    with Nipsey Russell
    The Dean Martin Show

Another element from the "Easter Parade" segment.

Some Days Are Diamonds
    with Mickey Gilley
    Country Top 20

Nancy and Mickey Gilley cover John Denver's hit at the time.
    Last edited by AndrewT; 03-21-2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Added link to blog for "Laugh-In" salute to the '60s.
    Andrew

The Rarities: TV, Stage and Demos • Songs: S-Y

Nancy with Tom Smothers (Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, 1968) ... Nancy with Tom Jones (This Is Tom Jones, 1970) ... Nancy with Tiny Tim (Andy Williams Show, 1969) ... Nancy with Donny & Marie (Donny & Marie, 1999)

Somethin' Stupid
    with Frank Sinatra Jr. & The Smothers Brothers
    CBS: April 30, 1967

Nancy and Frankie performed "Somethin' Stupid," at slightly faster tempo, with a little help from The Smothers Brothers. Nancy and Frank's studio version was still number 1 on the charts at the time.

Somethin' Stupid
    with Frank Sinatra Jr.
    I Love You [Valentine's Day Special]
    NBC: February 14, 1978

This NBC special featured several celebrity couples, including Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr. and Tony Orlando & his wife Elaine. Nancy's good friend and future neighbor Gavin MacLeod was also a guest.

Somethin' Stupid
    with Frank Sinatra
    Live at Caesars Palace, Las Vegas
    March 1982

Somethin' Stupid
    with Steve Tyrell
    Live at The Cafe Carlyle in New York City
    December 26, 2006

Somethin' Stupid
    with Harry Connick Jr.
    Sinatra 100 — An All-Star Grammy® Concert
    CBS: December 6, 2015

Nancy sang a few bars of "Somethin' Stupid" with Harry Connick Jr., in a performance that was taped for the archives, but not included on the telecast.

Sometimes I'm Happy
    with John Davidson
    Kraft Summer Music Hall
    NBC: July 11, 1966

An Irving Caesar-Clifford Grey-Vincent Youmans song from the 1927 Broadway production Hit The Deck.

In 1969 and 1970, John would record three Mac Davis-penned songs that were published by Nancy's B-n-B Music: "Friend, Lover, Woman, Wife," "Five O'Clock Shadow" and "The Politician." The latter two would be released as singles (as well as as appearing on his Everything Is Beautiful LP). John would also release his own version of "It's Such A Lonely Time Of Year" in late 1969, competing with Nancy's single for the song.

Southside Johnny Duet
    Live at The New Jersey Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony for Tony Bennett
    June 5, 2011

Spinning Wheel
    with Gary Puckett
    Jack Benny's New Look
    NBC: December 3, 1969

Nancy and Gary Puckett covered the Blood, Sweat And Tears hit.

Squares Make The World Go Round
    with Glen Campbell, Tom & Dick Smothers
    The Summer Brothers Smothers Show (Hosted by Glen Campbell)
    CBS: June 23, 1968

Composed by Roger Miller, "Squares Make The World Go Round" had been included on his 1964 Roger And Out LP (later repackaged as Dang Me). Nancy, Glen and The Smothers Brothers delivered a rousing performance.

Storybook Children
    with Lee Hazlewood
    The Ed Sullivan Show
    CBS: March 24, 1968

Interpreted by Nancy & Lee for their first album, this Chip Taylor-penned song had been a hit by Billy Vera & Judy Clay. A few months later, Nancy would record Taylor's antiwar statement "It's Such A Lonely Time Of Year" for The Sinatra Family Christmas album.

Summer Wine
    with Lee Hazlewood

Summer Wine
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Dinah!
    Syndicated: January 1977

Nancy & Lee delivered a pair of "Summer" songs (see "Indian Summer") for this winter episode of Dinah Shore's talk show.

Summertime Is Summertime
    with The Osmonds & The Blossoms

A song from the 1951 Broadway production Seventeen.

Sunday Morning Coming Down
    with Tom Jones & Glen Campbell
    This Is Tom Jones
    ABC: October 30, 1970

The trio covered a Kris Kristofferson classic that had been immortalized by Johnny Cash. Around this time, Nancy would perform Kristofferson's "Help Me Make It Through The Night" in her Las Vegas nightclub show.

Sweet Dreams
    with The Everly Brothers (Don & Phil)
    Live in concert

While Nancy and the Everlys were labelmates at RCA, Don & Phil were special guests in Nancy's shows at the Congo Room in the Sahara Hotel, Las Vegas (May 15-28, 1973).

... I had performed the song on tour with the Everly Brothers and I was lucky enough to be the middle of a trio with those beautiful voices on each side of me, but sadly, we didn't record our shows. I have all of their recordings and Sweet Dreams is one of my favorites.

Teach Me How To Dance
    with Donny Osmond

Written by Nancy's friend Michael Leonard and Herbert Martin, the song had been cut from the Broadway production of The Yearling. A brief clip would later be used during Nancy's guest spot on the April 9, 1999 episode of the Donny & Marie talk show.

Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Unreleased final duet with Lee
    Featured on Nancy For Frank, Show #62: August 31, 2008

Texas Cowboy Night
    with Steve Wariner
    Country Top 20

Steve Wariner substitutes for Mel Tillis on Nancy & Mel's 1981 chart hit.

Thank You Song, The
    with Tiny Tim, Andy Williams & Bob Newhart
    The Andy Williams Show
    NBC: October 25, 1969

A surreally funny take on the Shirley Jones-Jennifer Darling performance from the 1968 Broadway show Maggie Flynn.

I still have that ["Thank You"] shirt. Tiny was hilarious, very sweet.

(There's No Place Like) Home For The Holidays
    with Cast (Frank Sinatra, Frank Sinatra Jr., Tina Sinatra, Dean Martin, Claudia Martin, Craig Martin, Dean-Paul Martin, Deana Martin, Gail Martin, Gina Martin, Ricci Martin, Jeanne Martin)

These Boots Are Made For Walkin' [as part of a medley with "Downtown"]
    with Frank Sinatra
    See: "Downtown/These Boots Are Made For Walkin""

These Boots Are Made For Walkin'
    with Arte Johnson dancing

Nancy’s second episode of Laugh-In contained an amusing vocal/dance rendition of "Boots" with cast member Arte Johnson. As his recurring Mr. Rosmenko character, a linguistically challenged refugee from behind the Iron Curtain, he complimented Nancy on her "wonderful talinks" (talents) and gave dance instructions for "added dimensions."

These Boots Are Made For Walkin' [Color-Sonics/Electronic Collaboration]
    with Jon Stewart as one of Nancy's dancers
    The Jon Stewart Show
    Syndicated: April 10, 1995

Nancy’s interview on the April 10, 1995 episode of The Jon Stewart Show reached a quirky pinnacle when Jon unveiled his chroma-key-modified version of Nancy's 1966 jukebox film of "These Boots Are Made For Walkin.'" In his attempt to rewrite Color-Sonics history, he created an electronically engineered collaboration, in which he joins Nancy and her bevy of leggy go-go dancers. Surprised and flattered by Jon’s comedic homage to her, Nancy exclaimed to the studio audience, "Do you see why I wanted to do this show!"

with Donny & Marie Osmond
    Donny & Marie
    Syndicated: April 9, 1999

The trio collaborated on "Boots," as Nancy teased the duo with bits of "Puppy Love" and "Paper Roses."

with Howie Mandel dancing
    The Howie Mandel Show
    Syndicated: May 17, 1999

During the performance of "Boots," Howie surprised Nancy with stomp dance moves, back-up vocals, and his 1999 take on '60s fashion: white boots, khaki hot pants, fur vest, and a peace symbol medallion.

with Tony Danza as back-up singer
    The Tony Danza Show
    Syndicated: December 3, 2004

Tony was obviously thrilled to be singing back-up for Nancy on "Boots," as his sidekick Ereka Vetrini and show pianist Nadia DiGiallonardo did The Pony.

with Paul Revere & The Raiders
    Rolling Thunder in Washington, DC
    Memorial Day Weekend 2002

A few years later, Nancy would generously contribute her original vocal for a rockin' 2005 collaboration with Paul Revere & The Raiders on "These Boots Are Made For Walkin.'" The recording is included on the CD Ride To The Wall, Volume II, benefiting America's veterans in need. (See: "The Classics: Released Studio Recordings • J-Y")

with Sonny Turner
    Live at Temeku Hills Country Club for Brain Injured Veterans Association Fundraiser
    July 28, 2012

with Wilco
    Live at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre in Irvine, CA for the AmericanaramA Festival of Music Tour
    August 3, 2013

Trouble
    with David McCallum
    The Man From U.N.C.L.E.: "The Take Me To Your Leader Affair"
    NBC: December 30, 1966

"Trouble comes down from the sky
    No one can ever tell why
    Just when you think all the world’s pink
    It hits you right smack in the eye"

As Coco and Illya, Nancy and David sing "Trouble," which was written by David McCallum. Following their duet, Coco observes, "We are great. We’re a combo. We can make a fortune!"

TV Theme Songs Medley
    with Frankie Avalon & Lola Falana
    Hullabaloo
    NBC: December 6, 1965

The trio interpreted a wide range TV theme songs from "Bonanza" to "Candid Camera."

Until It's Time For You To Go
    with Glen Campbell
    The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour
    CBS: April 16, 1969

A very moving treatment of the often covered Buffy Sainte-Marie classic, which Nancy had recorded for the B-side of "Lightning's Girl" in 1967.

[Medley:] We Wish You The Merriest/More I Cannot Wish You
    with Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra & Gail Martin

"We Wish You The Merriest" had been recorded by Frank and Bing Crosby with Fred Waring & The Pennsylvanians for the 12 Songs Of Christmas album (1964). "More I Cannot Wish You" had been heard in the Broadway production of Guys And Dolls, but not included in the 1955 film version.

We've Only Just Begun
    with Tom Jones
    This Is Tom Jones
    ABC: October 30, 1970

Nancy and Tom Jones collaborated on the Paul Williams-Roger Nichols song that had been a recent hit by The Carpenters.

Originally sung by its lyricist, Paul Williams, "We've Only Just Begun" was introduced as a jingle for a 1970 TV commercial for Crocker-Citizens National Bank in California.

What A Party, A Whoopee Party
    with Dick Martin & Cast

Part of a New Year's Eve dance segment choreographed by Nancy's husband-to-be, Hugh Lambert.

What'd I Say
    with Sammy Davis, Jr. (as The Photographer)
    Movin' With Nancy
    NBC: December 11, 1967

What'd I Say
    with Billy Strange & The Blossoms

The only song employed for both MWN and MWN, On Stage.

What's The News (Across The Nation)
    with Chelsea Brown, Ruth Buzzi, Judy Carne, Goldie Hawn & Jo Anne Worley

What's The News (Across The Nation) [with "Auld Lang Syne" intro]
    with Ruth Buzzi, Teresa Graves, Goldie Hawn, Pamela Rodgers & Jo Anne Worley

Nancy and the cast performed a New Year's Eve-themed version of the weekly introduction to "'Laugh-In' Looks At The News."

When I Was A Cowboy
    with Tom Smothers' One-Man Band
    CBS: October 6, 1968

A very humorous take on the Leadbelly folk song.

The entire team, including the writers and producers, had great courage and fought the censors and the establishment in general. I'm proud to know them all and to have been a part of the team on occasion. Each show was a chapter in my own life.

Where Or When
    with Dean Martin
    The Dean Martin Show

As they duet on Rodgers & Hart’s "Where Or When," Dean and Nancy play a married couple, who meet at a bar, but do not recognize each other until they remove their sunglasses.

[From the production of] Who's Afraid Of Mother Goose?
    with Frankie Avalon
    Off To See The Wizard
    ABC: October 13, 1967

Frankie Avalon and Nancy play Jack & Jill in the "Who's Afraid Of Mother Goose" episode of Off To See The Wizard, an ABC-TV anthology series intended to be that network's equivalent to NBC's Wonderful World Of Disney. This production's songs featured music by Sherman Edwards and lyrics by Ruth Batchelor.

According to the October 13, 1967 issue of Time magazine:

Maureen O'Hara, as Mother Goose, leads the gaggle in a musical gander at the pedagogical values of old nursery rhymes. Other participants in "Who's Afraid Of Mother Goose" include Frankie Avalon, Nancy Sinatra, Fred Clark, Rowan And Martin, Dick Shawn, Joanie Summers and Margaret Hamilton.
    The Three Stooges (Moe, Larry and Curly Joe) also appear as "The Three Men in a Tub."

Wish You Were Here
    with Gail Davies
    Country Top 20
    See post #8 for more details.

Nancy and Gail Davies interpreted Barbara Mandrell's then-current hit single.

World Peace Is None Of Your Business
    with Morrissey
    Promotional video
    May 2014

Nancy makes a quietly powerful appearance as Morrissey performs his new single from the then-forthcoming album of the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy

Yes Sir, That's My Baby (Yes Sir, That's My Daddy)
    with Frank Sinatra

Nancy & Frank collaborated on an endearing lyrically modified version of the Walter Donaldson-Gus Kahn standard. The song had been recorded by Frank (solo) on May 11th for his Strangers In The Night album, one month prior to the special's production on June 5th and 6th.

You And Me
    with Tom Smothers
    See: "Love Story (You And Me)"

You Make Me Feel So Young (Old)
    with Frank Sinatra
    The Frank Sinatra Timex Show: It's Nice To Go Trav'ling/Welcome Home Elvis
    ABC: May 12, 1960

A duet parody with special lyrics by Sammy Cahn, in a similar vein to the "Yes Sir, That's My Baby (Yes Sir, That's My Daddy)" variation, this Mack Gordon-Josef Myrow song had been recorded by Frank in 1956 for the Songs For Swingin' Lovers! album.

Young At Heart
    with Tommy Sands, Perry Como & Rudy Vallee

The finale of the 5-minute medley which included "All The Way" and "I'll Never Smile Again/Witchcraft."

Young At Heart
    with Frank Sinatra Jr.

Nancy has played this version on her Nancy For Frank radio show.

You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
    with Lee Hazlewood
    The Hollywood Palace
    ABC: April 6, 1968

From the first Nancy & Lee LP, the rock classic had been a number 1 hit by The Righteous Brothers in 1965.
    Last edited by AndrewT; 03-21-2018 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added link to pos #8 for "Wish You Were Here."
    Andrew

The Classics: Released Studio Recordings • Songs: A-I

Nancy & Lee (1968) ... Nancy & Lee Again (1972) ... Mel & Nancy (1981) ... Nancy & Lee 3 (2004)

About A Fire
    Nancy Sinatra (2004)

After The Lovin'
    with Mel Tillis
    Elektra single (1981)
    Mel & Nancy (1981)

After The Lovin'
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee 3 (2004)

Ain't No Easy Way
    with Jon Spencer
    Nancy Sinatra (2004)

Arkansas Coal (Suite)
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee Again (1972)

Baby Please Don't Go
    Nancy Sinatra (2004)

Baby's Coming Back To Me
    with Jarvis Cocker (guitar), Richard Hawley (bass) & AJ Lambert (backing vocal, percussion)
    Nancy Sinatra (2004)

Back On The Road
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Reprise single (1971)
    Nancy & Lee Again (1972)

Barricades And Brickwalls
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee 3 (2004)

Bells Of Christmas, The
    with The Sinatra Family
    The Sinatra Family Wish You A Merry Christmas (1969)

Big Red Balloon
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee Again (1972)

Bossman
    with Reno (instruments) & AJ Lambert (backing vocal)
    Attack single (2004)
    Nancy Sinatra (2004)

Burnin' Down The Spark
    with Calexico (instruments)
    Nancy Sinatra (2004)
    Sanctuary U.K. single (2004)

California Girls
    with Brian Wilson & Jeffrey Foskett (backing vocals)
    California Girl (2002)

Congratulations
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee Again (1972)

Cowboy Carry Me Home
    with Mel Tillis
    Mel & Nancy (1981)

Did You Ever?
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Reprise single (1971)
    Nancy & Lee Again (1972)

Don't Let Go
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee 3 (2004)

Don't Let Him Waste Your Time
    with Jarvis Cocker & Richard Hawley (instruments)
    Nancy Sinatra (2004)

Don't Mean Nothing
    with Pete Yorn (instruments & backing vocal) & AJ Lambert (backing vocal)
    Nancy Sinatra (2004)

Down From Dover
    with Lee Hazlewood
    RCA single (1971)
    Nancy & Lee Again (1972)

Elusive Dreams
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee (1968)

Feelin' Kinda Sunday
    with Frank Sinatra
    Reprise single (1970)

Friendship Train
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee Again (1972)

Goin' Down Rockin'
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee 3 (2004)

Got It Together Again
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee Again (1972)

Greenwich Village Folk Song Salesman
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee (1968)

Gypsies And Indians
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee 3 (2004)

Hook And Ladder
    with Ry Cooder (guitar, mandolin)
    Reprise single (1971)

How Are Things In California?
    with The Bahler Brothers [aka The Baylor Bros.] (backing vocals)
    Reprise single (1970)
    California Girl (2002)

Hungry Years, The
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee 3 (2004)

I Would Fly
    with Mel Tillis
    Mel & Nancy (1981)

I Wouldn't Trade Christmas
    with Sinatra Family
    Reprise single (1968)

I'll Never Be Free
    with Mel Tillis
    Mel & Nancy (1981)

I've Been Down So Long (It Looks Like Up To Me)
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee (1968)

Indian Summer (L'été Indien)
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Private Stock single (1976)

Is Making A Little Love Out Of The Question?
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee 3 (2004)

It's A Far Cry From Over
    with Mel Tillis
    Mel & Nancy (1981)
    Last edited by AndrewT; 03-19-2018 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Added "Hook And Ladder."
    Andrew

The Classics: Released Studio Recordings • Songs: J-Y

Nancy & Dean Martin: Things/Up, Up And Away (Germany, 1968) ... Speedway - Soundtrack (1968) ... The Sinatra Family Wish You A Merry Christmas (1969) ... Audio Bullys: Shot You Down CD-single (U.K. 2005)

Jackson
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Reprise single (1967)
    Country, My Way (1967)
    Nancy & Lee (1968)

Kicks
    with The Ventures
    The Ventures: Walk Don't Run 2000 (1999)
    Kid Stuff (2008)

Lady Bird
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Reprise single (1967)
    Nancy & Lee (1968)

Let Me Kiss You
    with Morrissey (background vocal & instruments)
    Attack single (2004)
    Nancy Sinatra (2004)

Life's A Trippy Thing
    with Frank Sinatra
    Reprise single (1971)

Love Is Strange
    with Lee Hazlewood
    You Go-Go Girl! (1999)

Loving You Loving Me
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee 3 (2004)

Momma's Boy
    with Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth (bass, guitars)
    Nancy Sinatra (2004)

O Bambino
    with Tina Sinatra

Oh, Lonesome Me
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Country, My Way (1967)
    Reprise single (1967)
    Nancy & Lee (Japan edition 1968)

Pack Saddle Saloon
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee 3 (2004)

Paris Summer
    with Lee Hazlewood
    RCA single (1971)
    Nancy & Lee Again (1972)

Play Me Or Trade Me
    with Mel Tillis
    Mel & Nancy (1981)
    Elektra single (1981)

Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
    with Mel Tillis
    Elektra promo single (1981)
    Various Artists: Christmas Country (1981)

Sand
    with Lee Hazlewood
    How Does That Grab You, Darlin'? (1966)
    Reprise single (1967)

Save The Last Dance For Me
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee 3 (2004)

She Won't
    with Lee Hazlewood & Duane Eddy (guitar)
    Nancy & Lee 3 (2004)

Shot You Down
    with Audio Bullys
    Source/EMI U.K. single (2005)
    Audio Bullys: Generation (U.K. 2005)

Some Velvet Morning
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Reprise single (1967)
    Movin' With Nancy (1967)

Somethin' Stupid
    with Frank Sinatra
    Reprise single (1967)
    Frank Sinatra: The World We Knew (1967)
    Nancy's Greatest Hits (1970)

Storybook Children
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee 3 (2004)

Strangers, Lovers, Friends
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee 3 (2004)

Summer Wine
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy In London (1966)
    Reprise single (1966)
    Nancy & Lee (1968)

Summer Wine
    with Roland Kaiser
    Roland Kaiser: Grenzenlos (Germany 1996)

Sundown, Sundown
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee (1968)

Texas Blue Moon
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee 3 (2004)

Texas Cowboy Night
    with Mel Tillis
    Elektra single (1981)
    Mel & Nancy (1981)

There Ain't Nothing Like A Song
    with Elvis Presley
    Speedway - Soundtrack (1968)

with Paul Revere & The Raiders
    Various Artists: Ride To The Wall, Vol. II (2005)

Tippy Toes
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee Again (1972)

Tired Of Waiting For You
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Sheet Music (!998)

To Ardent
    with Black Devil Disco Club
    Lo Recordings single (2009)
    Black Devil Disco Club: Circus (2009)

Twelve Days Of Christmas, The
    with The Sinatra Family

Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad
    with Larry Mullen of U2 (drums) & Adam Clayton of U2 (bass)
    Nancy Sinatra (2004)
    Sanctuary U.K. single (2004)

Underground River
    with Mel Tillis
    Mel & Nancy (1981)

Where In Heaven On Earth?
    with Mel Tillis
    Mel & Nancy (1981)

Where Would I Be?
    with Mel Tillis
    Mel & Nancy (1981)
    Elektra single (1981)

You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
    with Lee Hazlewood
    Nancy & Lee (1968)
    Last edited by AndrewT; 03-19-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    Andrew

The Collaborators

Nancy with Frank ... Nancy with Lee ... Nancy with Mel ... Nancy with AJ

Audio Bullys
    Avalon, Frankie
    Bahler Brothers, The (aka The Baylor Bros.: John & Tom)
    Barry, JJ
    Bishop, Joey
    Black Devil Disco Club
    Blaine, Hal
    Blossoms, The
    Bobby Fuller Four, The (on-screen performance to a previously recorded track)
    Brown, Chelsea
    Burdon, Eric
    Burrell, Belinda (The Tri-Tones)
    Buzzi, Ruth
    Calexico
    Campbell, Glen
    Cavanaugh, Page
    Clayton, Adam
    Cocker, Jarvis
    Como, Perry
    Connick, Harry Jr.
    Conrad, William
    Cooder, Ry
    Crichton, Don
    Danza, Tony
    Darin, Bobby
    Davidson, John
    Davies, Gail
    Davis, Sammy Jr.
    DeLuise, Dom
    Dingaling Sisters, The
    Donny & Marie
    Eddy, Duane
    Everly Brothers, The (Don & Phil)
    Falana, Lola
    Foskett, Jeffrey
    Franchi, Sergio
    Gibson, Henry
    Gilley, Mickey
    Goulet, Robert
    Graves, Teresa
    Harry, Debbie
    Hatfield, Bobby (The Righteous Brothers)
    Hawley, Richard
    Hawn, Goldie
    Hazlewood, Lee
    Hope, Bob
    Johnson, Arte
    Jones, Jack
    Jones, Tom
    Kaiser, Roland
    Knickerbockers, The (on-screen performance to a previously recorded track)
    Lambert, AJ
    Lambert, Hugh
    Lee, Johnny
    Lee, Peggy
    Love, Darlene (The Blossoms)
    Madden, Dave
    Mandel, Howie
    Martin, Dean
    Martin, Dick
    Martin Family, The (Dean, Jeanne, Claudia, Craig, Deana, Dean Paul, Gail, Gina, Ricci)
    Martin, Gail
    McCallum, David
    McClure, Doug
    McKuen, Rod
    Medford, Kay
    Medley, Bill (The Righteous Brothers)
    Medley, McKenna
    Moore, Thurston
    Morrissey
    Mullen, Larry (U2)
    Muppets, The
    Newhart, Bob
    Osmond, Donny
    Osmond, Marie (Donny & Marie)
    Osmonds, The
    Presley, Elvis
    Puckett, Gary
    Raiders, The (Paul Revere & The Raiders)
    Reno
    Righteous Brothers, The
    Rodgers, Pamela
    Ross, Jane (The Tri-Tones)
    Russell, Nipsey
    Rutgers University Marching Band, The
    Rutles, The
    Sands, Tommy
    Shore, Dinah
    Sinatra Family, The
    Sinatra, Frank
    Sinatra, Frank Jr.
    Sinatra, Tina
    Smothers Brothers, The
    Smothers, Dick
    Smothers, Tom
    Southside Johnny
    Spencer, Jon
    Stevens, Connie
    Stewart, Jon
    Strange, Billy
    Sues, Alan
    Tillis, Mel
    Tiny Tim
    Tri-Tones, The
    Turner, Sonny
    Tyrell, Steve
    Vallee, Rudy
    Ventures, The
    Wariner, Steve
    Wilco
    Williams, Andy
    Wilson, Brian
    Worley, Jo Ann
    Yorn, Pete
    Last edited by AndrewT; 03-19-2018 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Added Ry Cooder.
    Andrew

The Academy of Country Music & "Country Top 20"

The 53rd annual Academy of Country Music Awards will be broadcast live from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas by CBS on April 15th. Fifty years ago, Nancy & Lee were nominated in the category of "Top Duet" (listed in the ACM's Nominations archive as "Top Duo"), for the third awards show, held at the Century Plaza Hotel in L.A. on March 4, 1968.

Thirteen years later, in the fall of 1981, Nancy co-hosted Country Top 20, a series of monthly syndicated specials executive produced by Bob Banner, whose production company was also responsible for the weekly music program Solid Gold. Taped in the main showroom of the Imperial Palace Hotel in Las Vegas, Country Top 20 presented a countdown of the latest hits in the genre, compiled from information provided by trade magazine Radio & Records.

At the time, Nancy was a fixture on the country album and singles charts for her collaborations with Mel Tillis: Mel & Nancy, "Texas Cowboy Night," and two-sided hit "Play Me Or Trade Me"/"Where Would I Be."

In addition to introducing the acts, Nancy performed solo and duet renditions of songs on the survey. Among Nancy's collaborators (pictured, left to right): her first co-host, Mickey Gilley; Steve Wariner, as a substitute for Mel on "Texas Cowboy Night"; her second co-host, Johnny Lee; and Gail Davies, the first female record producer in country music.

Trailblazing artists Nancy and Gail performed Barbara Mandrell's then-current hit, "Wish You Were Here." The song was penned by Kye Fleming and Dennis Morgan, a prolific songwriting duo who supplied material for Mandrell and other Tom Collins-produced artists in the late 1970s and early '80s.

On the duet of "Wish You Were Here," Nancy and Gail's voices blend really well, an excellent example of Nancy's talent for interpreting country.

Note: The audio track on this rare video is a little rough.

Source: YouTube

Related blog posts:

Nancy's Nashville Horizon: An Appreciation of "Country, My Way"

Something Special: Mel Tillis & Nancy
    Last edited by AndrewT; 03-21-2018 at 02:54 PM.
    Andrew

9. Thanks, Andrew. I swear, without your posts I wouldn't remember half of what I've done!