Thread: 2 Years Ago Tonight

2 Years Ago Tonight

Thanks for the musical memories. You are truly missed:

Just got home from the Borgota. We saw Frank Sinatra Jr. It was a wonderful show. Quite different than past performances. It was a musical chronology of the artistry of FAS that could only be truly captured by Frank Jr. The overture consisted of Put Your Dreams Away, Learnin' the Blues, Nice and Easy and That's Life. Throughout the show, Frank Jr. provided a narration of his fathers career and performed the songs decade by decade. He opened with both versions of All or Nothing at All (Harry James and Nelson's up version). A musical version of Tommy Dorsey's Getting Sentimental reminded us of the young Frank's early career. Next up was Without A Song followed by Nancy With The Smiling Face and an explanation of how Phil Silver's wrote the lyrics for the song. A WB cartoon depicting Frank as the skinny crooner surrounded by bobby soxers was shown. The Song Is You was next on the list followed by The House I Live In. The Nelson version of Night and Day was a show stopper. Then came the saloon songs. I'm a Fool To Want You musically introduced the poignant Angel Eyes. Then came the career resurrection; World On a String and I've Got You Under My Skin. High Hopes was Joined with Come Fly With Me (Optimistic 60s) along with Luck Be A Lady, The Best Is Yet To Come and Strangers In The Night. Then came Gordon's It Was A Very Good Year. Beautifully done. Put Your Dreams Away followed. Then Fly Me To The Moon (Count Basie/Quincy Jones version) and Summer Wind. The wind up consisted of My Way with NY NY as the finale. It was quite an evening. Thanks to Frank Jr. for keeping the flame.

Nevermore

Jayeff

2. Now there is a new generation keeping the flame -- AJ.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.