Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 229

Thread: STANDING ROOM ONLY 2018 

  1. Got mine today! Listening to "the Sands" right now!
    "It's nice to go trav'ling..."

  2. #202
    Just got my copy. Putting on my iPhone to motivate me at work tomorrow.

  3. I can't stop listening.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

    My favorite song.

  4. #204
    I haven't played the Dallas concert yet.....I really do need something to look forward to these days. I keep whispering to myself go on, it will amaze you but I go back to the Sands and The Spectrum telling myself I need to save something for tomorrow. I wonder if Cole Porter when he finished composing I Get a Kick Out of You back in 1933/4 sat back from his piano and said to himself, Yeah Man...they will still be playing that 85 years from now! Then did he get a call from Jerome Kern saying he had plans to release Ole Man River 91 years after he composed the music? It's almost as if they had future plans to make Sinatra fans happier than ever.
    Bill
    I'ts VERY easy being green...coz I am

  5. #205
    The new SRO set is a splendid, splendid, splendid, splendid collection, and makes a perfect companion to the World on a String set.

    I was delayed playing the Dallas concert – because I kept playing disc 2 Philadelphia over and over and over again. It would NOT come out of the player! (lol)

    About the Dallas show, what an incredible treat to have what I think is the first live version of “What’s New”! (I know people here will know this.) I never expected to hear that live. Also, there’s a wonderful swingin’ version of “Where or When”. Also, it’s lovely to hear “Summer Wind” live. (I don’t yet own the New York box. I’ll have to fix that.) Truly great version of “Angel Eyes”.

    Wonderful set, lots of surprises for me, still a relative novice, compared to people here!

  6. Quote Originally Posted by David Svoboda View Post
    About the Dallas show, what an incredible treat to have what I think is the first live version of “What’s New”! (I know people here will know this.)
    This 1987 version of “What’s New” was first released on Sinatra 80th: Live in Concert (1995). Sinatra sang the song at concerts in 1976, 1985, and 1987–88, but these are the only two official live releases.

    Bob.

  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    This 1987 version of “What’s New” was first released on Sinatra 80th: Live in Concert (1995). Sinatra sang the song at concerts in 1976, 1985, and 1987–88, but these are the only two official live releases.

    Bob.
    I knew someone here (named Bob) would know!!!!

    Thanks, I'll have to seek out the 80th set too!



    P.S. "Lonely Town" What a great number to unleash on an unsuspecting crowd!!!

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    I can't stop listening.
    I'm right there with you Carole. Think I've played this every day since the May 4 release. I've got Philly on my Sonos now, Hoo ha!
    Michael
    I'm oh so glad we met, the second time around

  9. #209
    I'd like to take this time to thank Nancy and Sinatra Enterprises for releasing this set. The Philadelphia disc has brought me a lot of happiness. I get chills listening to the overture and the Old Man River reminds me of how incredible Frank Sinatra really was.

    Someone mentioned the Vegas disc earlier. Am I correct that this was a brand new show from the other Vegas discs that have been released. I am fairly certain it is.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    We ROCKED a romance to the Castle Rock!

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Watertown View Post
    Someone mentioned the Vegas disc earlier. Am I correct that this was a brand new show from the other Vegas discs that have been released. I am fairly certain it is.
    The show on the Vegas disc in Standing Room Only was previously available only on the USB tie clip, as part of Jack Daniel's Sinatra Century.

    For an overview of releases of the 1966 Sands performances, see the Sessionography.

    For a side-by-side perspective, see Bob's Comparison of ‘Sinatra at the Sands’ 1966 Show Releases.
    Last edited by AndrewT; 05-21-2018 at 08:02 AM.
    Andrew

  11. #211
    Quote Originally Posted by Watertown View Post
    I'd like to take this time to thank Nancy and Sinatra Enterprises for releasing this set. The Philadelphia disc has brought me a lot of happiness. I get chills listening to the overture and the Old Man River reminds me of how incredible Frank Sinatra really was.
    Seconding this, and also adding how remarkable I find it that I enjoy this recording so much more than The Main Event, which was recorded just one week later! With mostly the same band, since it's the Woody Herman band plus Frank's traveling crew in both cases. (I guess the strings are different.) I can't put my finger on why I like Philadelphia so much better, but maybe it's intangibles like Philadelphia seems to be more about the music while TME is more about the event. Just a guess. All I know is it "gets me where I live," in a way that TME never did.

  12. Listening to the Philadelphia disc myself, and loving it! Just finished "If" and feeling sentimental How I wish I could go back in time and hear "The Voice" live.
    Kate

    "Frank is just like you. Just like me. Only bigger."

  13. #213
    If I had to choose a favourite set from this collection I would have to choose “The Sands” concert. I’ve always loved the other “Sands” release, and this one is just as fabulous.

    I love the monologues,let’s have an album just of monologues. I could listen to Frank, his voice and his humour all day.
    "I Could Have Danced All Night...".

  14. #214
    Quote Originally Posted by Tina... View Post
    If I had to choose a favourite set from this collection I would have to choose “The Sands” concert. I’ve always loved the other “Sands” release, and this one is just as fabulous.

    I love the monologues,let’s have an album just of monologues. I could listen to Frank, his voice and his humour all day.

    Bruce

    "If you don’t know the guy on the other side of the world, love him anyway because he’s just like you. He has the same dreams, the same hopes and fears. It’s one world, pal. We’re all neighbors" - Francis A. Sinatra

  15. #215
    I keep on playing Dallas, I must try out the other 2 discs.

  16. I have played the other two discs but I, also, come back to Dallas. When Joanna Loved Me.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

    My favorite song.

  17. #217
    I love these and am forever thankful the dynamics are intact and that they weren't compressed into oblivion like almost all newly released product.

  18. #218
    I thought “New York,New York” from the “Dallas” concert sounded familiar, is it the same recording as “Sinatra 80th” ? I do notice it has been edited slightly before “Don Costa” if that’s the case.
    "I Could Have Danced All Night...".

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Tina... View Post
    I thought “New York,New York” from the “Dallas” concert sounded familiar, is it the same recording as “Sinatra 80th” ?
    Answered earlier in this thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    That’s correct. The 1995 CD, Sinatra 80th: Live in Concert, contains 11 tracks from the full Dallas ’87 concert. (Plus, there’s the previously-released “My Way.”) However, it’s unclear that the mixes will be identical. The previous CD included orchestral overdubs, and it likely had song introductions edited. (Note: The new track times are not all similar; see above: —> Total playing times.)
    Bob.

  20. #220
    Thanks Bob, sorry I missed your post, I haven’t had much time to read the forum thoroughly lately, my apologies.
    "I Could Have Danced All Night...".

Bookmarks

Bookmarks