Thread: Frank Sinatra appearance on "Monsanto Night Presents Dionne Warwick 1975"

Frank Sinatra appearance on "Monsanto Night Presents Dionne Warwick 1975"

Hello, My dear family,

I haven't been around for a long time. How is everybody? hope you are all fine.

I have a Question. Does somebody have information about Mr.Sinatra's appearance at Dionne Warwick's show at 1975 at Lake Tahoe?

Do you think there is a video record of this show?

and my other Question is about Dionne and Frank... how was their relationship? I know they loved each other and were very good friends but someone knows more details and maybe some memoryes ?

Thank you so very much to all!

this photo is from that night!

Don't despair be aware!
    He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Oner View Post
    I have a Question. Does somebody have information about Mr.Sinatra's appearance at Dionne Warwick's show at 1975 at Lake Tahoe?

Do you think there is a video record of this show?

and my other Question is about Dionne and Frank... how was their relationship? I know they loved each other and were very good friends but someone knows more details and maybe some memories ?
    The Lake Tahoe appearance was taped as part of Dionne Warwick's ("Warwicke" at that time) 1975 syndicated TV special. As far as I know, it has never been released on VHS or DVD. Here's a scan of the listing in the April 5-11, 1975 TV Guide, for its April 6, 1975 broadcast on WNAC, Channel 7 in Boston.

From Dionne's memoir, My Life, As I See It:

"Frank Sinatra, whom I affectionately called 'Poppy,' was like a surrogate father and proved to be one of the kindest and most personable people that I have ever met. ... He always made himself available to me whenever I needed him to be part of any of my charitable projects. In turn, I made sure I was available whenever he needed me to do any work for his charities."

Here's a list of some additional times that they worked together.

August 16, 1969
    Houston Astrodome
    All-star tribute to the Apollo 11 astronauts

March 9, 1974
    Civic Auditorium, San Jose, CA
    Benefit for Santa Clara University that raised more than $200,000 to build a gymnasium
    Opening act: Dionne, Don Rickles, Pat Henry

March 9, 1975
    Lake Tahoe, NV
    The Dionne Warwick Special (syndicated: aired nationally during the week of April 6, 1975)
    Guest: Wayne Newton
    Cameo appearances: FS, Danny Thomas, Greg Morris, Chris & Lynda Day George
    Bar sketch: FS & Dionne

August 20, 1975
    Jefferson Memorial, Washington, DC
    FS, Dionne, Mitizi Gaynor, The Osmonds, Jack Lemmon, Trini Lopez, Helen Reddy, Howard Cosell, Andy Williams, Ray Charles
    Celebration: The American Spirit (ABC: January 25, 1976)

September 9, 1976; March 20, 1977; March 6, 1978
    Caesars Palace, Las Vegas
    FS introduces Dionne from the audience.

December 12, 1979
    Caesars Palace, Las Vegas
    Sinatra: The First 40 Years (NBC: January 3, 1980)

February 27, 1983
    20th Century Fox Studio
    Command performance for Queen Elizabeth
    FS, Dionne, George Burns, Perry Como

April 15, 1983
    Symphony Hall, Boston, MA
    Benefit for former Boston Red Sox player Tony Conigliaro
    Opening act: Dionne, Marvin Hamlisch

November 20, 1983
    NBC Studios, Burbank
    The Variety Clubs All-Star Party For Frank Sinatra (CBS: December 11, 1983)

April 21, 1986
    Paramount Studios, L.A.
    Solid Gold (syndicated: May 1986)
    FS & Dionne perform "You And Me (We Wanted It All)"

Source: YouTube

June 8, 1989
    Aboard the aircraft carrier USS Intrepid, New York City
    2nd annual Benefit Gala Weekend for AIDS, organized by Dionne
    FS, Dionne, Sammy Davis Jr.

November 13, 1989
    Shrine Auditorium, L.A.
    Sammy Davis Jr. 60th Anniversary Celebration (ABC: February, 4, 1990)
    Proceeds from the ticket sales were donated to the United Negro College Fund

Also: See this post in Le Pił Belle Canzoni Di Frank Sinatra thread.
    Last edited by AndrewT; 03-16-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added link to "Le Pił Belle Canzoni Di Frank Sinatra."
    Andrew

The songs from that show broadcast a month later. (DT signifies Danny Thomas, WN, Wayne Newton). It doesn't appear Frank sang with Dionne Warwick.

03-09-75 Lake Tahoe NV THE DIONNE WARWICK SPECIAL
    . — Guests Frank Sinatra, Wayne Newton & Danny Thomas

DW On Top Of The World
    DW If They Could See Me Now
    FS DW Bar sketch
    WN You’re The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me
    DW WN You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
    DW What The World Needs Now Is Love
    DT Sketch
    DW Whatever You Want / The Way We Were
    DW This Girl’s In Love With You / Walk On By / Say A
    Little Prayer / Do You Know The Way To San Jose /
    I’ll Never Fall In Love Again / Close To You / Promises
    DW L.O.V.E.

Andrew and Nick thank you so very much for the detailed answers. you are both amazing!
    I think I should read Dionne's book, She is a very nice person and perfect singer.
    It is sad there is only solid gold video records that we can see them singing together. I wish Dionne was a part of Duets albums too.
    Thank you very much again for answers. Highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Oner; 03-16-2018 at 02:41 AM.
    He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Oner View Post
    ...and my other Question is about Dionne and Frank... how was their relationship? I know they loved each other and were very good friends but someone knows more details and maybe some memories ?
    These recent posts in another thread are relevant here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
    Just for me, Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio is playing my favorite living singer, Calabria Foti -- her recent version of ANYTHING GOES, from an all Cole Porter album (I reviewed at Amazon). Alas, none of her songs have been uploaded to YouTube. Reminded me though of another favorite singer Dionne Warwick's similar "all-Cole-Porter" album, for which Frank Sinatra contributed liner notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    From Dionne Warwick Sings Cole Porter (Arista ARCD-8573), here are the booklet notes by FS:

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Sinatra
    Year after year and now decade after decade, trend after trend, fad after fad, the late Cole Porter, who was my friend, has remained a great communicator to the hearts of people...come to think of it that description also applies exactly to Dionne Warwick, who is also my friend I'm proud to say. In this album Dionne, like Cole Porter, proves she has the most difficult talent of all in music, staying power. I love her madly!
    Clive Davis, Arif Mardin, Lena Horne and Quincy Jones also contributed notes.
    The artwork from the original 1990 Arista release...

...and a scan of the liner notes from the CD booklet.

Andrew

There's a lot of words in those liner notes but not one word (that I can make out) about who wrote the arrangements. Did the charts write themselves? (Or maybe Mardin did them?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted in Chicago View Post
    There's a lot of words in those liner notes but not one word (that I can make out) about who wrote the arrangements. Did the charts write themselves? (Or maybe Mardin did them?)
    The scan (of pages 4 and 5) in post #5 doesn't have those credits. Here they are, as listed on page 3 of the CD booklet.

Arrangements and Orchestration:

Arif Mardin: Night And Day, I Love Paris, I Get A Kick Out Of You (Introductory verse arranged by Peter Matz), You're The Top, I've Got You Under My Skin, Begin The Beguine (Basic track arranged by Arif Mardin and Reggie Griffin, orchestrated by Arif Mardin), It's All Right With Me, All Of You

Jonathan Tunick: What Is This Thing Called Love? / So In Love (Medley)

Marc Shaiman: Anything Goes

Peter Matz: I Concentrate On You

Robbie Kondor: Just One Of Those Things

Robbie Kondor and Arif Mardin: Night And Day (Jazz Version)
    Andrew

Frank Sinatra and Dionne Warwick

thank you for that interesting thread, i never heard about the dionne warwick tv special and frank sinatras cameo.
    you also don't find much information about them together.

i enjoy their solid gold duet on "you and me".

and always wondered why they cut her out of the first 40 years celebration show (probably time reasons on VHS), so let's hope that will be restored to DVD someday (along with other appearances such as president mother mrs. carter, and the musical big band tribute by nancy and frankie! which i never saw either ...)
    SINATRA : " Standing Room Only " ... new LIVE box 2018

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    thank you for that interesting thread, i never heard about the dionne warwick tv special and frank sinatras cameo.
    you also don't find much information about them together.

i enjoy their solid gold duet on "you and me".

and always wondered why they cut her out of the first 40 years celebration show (probably time reasons on VHS), so let's hope that will be restored to DVD someday (along with other appearances such as president mother mrs. carter, and the musical big band tribute by nancy and frankie! which i never saw either ...)
    I taped that show and don't recall Dionne performing on the original NBC telecast. I'm guessing she was a member of the celebrity-filled audience.