Thread: How about Song of the Day/Song by Song Discussion Thread for Frank Sinatra?

Lightbulb How about Song of the Day/Song by Song Discussion Thread for Frank Sinatra?

I'm new here, so probably I haven't got used to this place enough to make a suggestion, but anyway here's one from me:

How about my running a thread of Song of the Day, Song by Song Discussion, or whatever you may call it - a thread to discuss/talk about one song per one day?

I have run a Beach Boys daily song by song discussion thread on a Beach Boys forum (where btw I'm working as a mod) for a year and a half, and have just successfully finished it. From that experience, I can say that such thread bring a forum something to discuss every day, encouraging people to post more, which is clearly a good thing to keep a forum active.

We had rating system there (five ranks from 1 to 5), and that made the whole discussion more fun. Possibly we could bring it here too, but the problem is that we can't edit poll attached to the thread forever. Anyway, we can rate songs by writing the rating in posts.

If I'm going to run this thread, I'd like to start with Capitol Era, then Reprise Era, and then James/Dorsey/Columbia era.

What do you think about this idea? Any feedback is welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Watamushi View Post
    I'm new here, so probably I haven't got used to this place enough to make a suggestion, but anyway here's one from me:

How about my running a thread of Song of the Day, Song by Song Discussion, or whatever you may call it - a thread to discuss/talk about one song per one day?

I have run a Beach Boys daily song by song discussion thread on a Beach Boys forum (where btw I'm working as a mod) for a year and a half, and have just successfully finished it. From that experience, I can say that such thread bring a forum something to discuss every day, encouraging people to post more, which is clearly a good thing to keep a forum active.

We had rating system there (five ranks from 1 to 5), and that made the whole discussion more fun. Possibly we could bring it here too, but the problem is that we can't edit poll attached to the thread forever. Anyway, we can rate songs by writing the rating in posts.

If I'm going to run this thread, I'd like to start with Capitol Era, then Reprise Era, and then James/Dorsey/Columbia era.

What do you think about this idea? Any feedback is welcome!
    My guess is that any thread that encourages participation on a daily basis would be good for a forum - but I've only been here a week or two longer than yourself, so don't take my word for it!

Maybe the song you choose could have been recorded on the date in question - so, tomorrow, you could choose a song or performance from July 2nd. That would open up the choices for you. It would also require a bit more work - but the sessionography under the discography tab is useful. You could scroll to the bottom, and then use the "find on this page" tool on your browser to find the date you're looking for.

For example, July 2nd brings up Light a Candle in the Chapel with Tommy Dorsey and four orchestral tracks for the Duets albums. July 3rd brings up 4 songs from 1947. July 4th is a bit more difficult as it only brings up two performances of The Gentleman is a Champ from 1967 and 1986. July 5th brings up nothing at all! But I'm sure you could improvise and use two songs from the day before, for example.

That would change it to "track of the day" rather than "song of the day," but would stick to a particular rendition of a song for people to talk about, whereas something like My Way could be talked about in dozens of versions.

My suggestion would be to try something out, and see if it appeals. If it doesn't, it will soon stop getting comments. If it does, you'll have a dozen pages in a week!