Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FRANK SINATRA SINGS FOR ONLY THE LONELY - 60TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION (UMe) 2018 

1. Today marks the actual 60th anniversary of the first (mono) album release, September 8, 1958!

—> Album Release: FRANK SINATRA SINGS FOR ONLY THE LONELY

The album would enter Billboard’s Best Selling LP’s chart for the survey week ending September 20, 1958, where it remained for 120 weeks.

The Billboard Spotlight Review, published September 22, 1958

Following suit in Cash Box, the LP entered the Best Selling Pop Albums chart in the issue of October 4, 1958, and it reached No. 1 the following week.

The Cash Box Album Review, published October 4, 1958

Bob.
    Last edited by Bob in Boston; 09-10-2018 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Added link to 50th anniversary post.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    It was Dad's concept, interpreted by Nick Volpe. Though it was nominated for other awards, it only won the Grammy for best album cover. WHAT A TRAVESTY! (The album was inducted into the Grammy Hall Of Fame in 1999 to partially atone for the oversight.)
    Was he pleased with the way the cover turned out?
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Pre-ordered the Stereo Remix. Don‘t know whether the new Mono version can top the MFSL edition...
    That is a fair point and it would struggle, but MFSL CD's, are niche purchases with the price tag to match and limited availability while this allows much more mainstream appreciation.

I've been playing with my birthday gift from my kids, a device known as Echo. Just yesterday I asked someone/something called Alexa to play this album which she did do, although not in the order of the original album; and she also included a few songs that sound similar to the tenor of this amazing album.

Larry

At the monumental Hofstra Frank Conference, I had a nice chat with both Messrs Friedwald and Furia about the '58 Grammy Awards. Prof. Furia said that he spoke with a "very credible" source at NARAS about the voting, and, as Robert pointed out, the "rumor" about "Only The Lonely" and "Come Fly With Me" splitting the Best Album votes was spot on! This discussion just evoked "painful" memories of Ernie Borgnine's Oscar win, and Christopher Cross's Grammy win! UGH! The "positive" take-away is that we will always be able to watch "The Man With The Golden Arm," listen to "Trilogy," and be thrilled at Frank's incomparable artistry & versatility!!
    Stanley

6. Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Don‘t know whether the new Mono version can top the MFSL edition...
    We probably won’t know until release day, but it may just BE the MFSL edition.

Bob.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    The album would enter Billboard’s Best Selling LP’s chart for the survey week ending September 20, 1958, where it remained for 120 weeks.
    Interesting karma note: When the Capitol LP reached No. 1 two weeks later, the album it dethroned was Mitch Miller’s ‘Sing Along with Mitch’ on Columbia.

Bob.
    Last edited by Bob in Boston; 09-10-2018 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Corrected album title.

From the Music Direct Website: Should be a great LP: Mix by Larry Walsh and Mastered by Ron McMaster (who put his touch on the short lived MFSL Sinatra Lp's)

Intimate 1958 Opus Newly-Mixed In Stereo By Larry Walsh and Mastered By Ron McMaster At Capitol Studios For Its Milestone 60th Anniversary Edition!

Frank Sinatra's intimate 1958 opus, Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely, has been newly mixed in stereo for a 60th Anniversary Edition. This 180g 2LP version features the album's 2018 stereo mix by Larry Walsh with audio mastered by Ron McMaster at Capitol Studios. "Only The Lonely was recorded as both a mono and stereo presentation," explains Walsh in his notes for the 60th Anniversary Edition. "The mono was the focus as that was the chief format of the day. The stereo was recorded with two microphones suspended high over the studio orchestra. Frank Sinatra's voice was recorded onto a third track. With the stereo recording being mid-side decoded, the depth of the studio is revealed."

For Only The Lonely, Sinatra recorded evening sessions at Capitol Studios in May and June 1958, joined by an orchestra and his frequent collaborator, conductor and arranger Nelson Riddle. Sinatra recalled of the sessions: "I like recording late at night. The later the better. My voice was not made for daytime use." Frank delves deeply into love, pain, and loss across the album's songs of heartbreak and yearning, including "One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)," "Angel Eyes" and "Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry." Only The Lonely reached No. 1 on Billboard's albums chart and remained on the charts for 120 weeks. At 1959's inaugural Grammy Awards ceremony, the album won the award for Best Recording Package.
    F.X.
    When You're Smilin!

I'll be picking up the 2CD version and maybe the LP version. This is great news and this masterpiece deserves this attention and great expertise in being handed to future generations.

I love the quote above: “The ones that stick in my mind are ‘Only The Lonely,’ ‘Wee Small Hours,’
    and Come Fly With Me, because I think the orchestrator’s work and my work
    came together so well.” – Frank Sinatra

I don't recall quotes were Sinatra ever seemed to be bored of his own talent, and he was always quick to give so much credit to others.

I do believe that a huge part of his success was the fact that he worked with so many greats. But NO ONE else could possibly have brought the power and artistry that he did. His great albums (so many of them) are the product of magnificent artistic relationships.
    Peter

10. Frank Sinatra - Sings For Only The Lonely (Music Video)

Source: YouTube

Bob.

I've picked up several copies of this on vinyl (even tracked down a grey label copy) but can't wait to get a hold of the remaster!

12. For those who wear their heart on their sleeve… The Frank Sinatra Official Store has a limited edition Only the Lonely tee shirt up for pre-order.

Bob.

Yikes.....does it come with a set of kitchen knives?
    F.X.
    When You're Smilin!

14. Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    P.S. That TV comedy clip is from the Welcome Home Elvis Timex Show, now available on DVD. It was followed by FS singing “Gone with the Wind” from the album.
    Just posted by Eagle Rock (DVD producer):

Frank Sinatra - Gone With The Wind (Welcome Home Elvis)

Source: YouTube

Bob.
    Last edited by Bob in Boston; 09-17-2018 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Video changed to eliminate blank portion.

I agree with Tina's comment. To have and hold the CD itself with the literature etc is always my preference.

Like many others here, I too have numerous versions of this sublimely wonderful album. I still have several LP versions dating back to when I was just a boy and the tape cassette version and then a few CD different stereo mix versions plus also the more recent special mono CD release, which I believe is again to be included in this new double package.

My question is how can we expect this brand new stereo mix version to sound? Is there any word from any audiophiles here on what differences we can expect to hear with this new stereo mix version and how is it likely to be an improvement on previous versions?

For my money, I have always enjoyed the previous Capital stereo CD version which to my uneducated ears has always sounded just great. The Mono version is also really lovely to listen to and in all honesty I can't fault it - but I also cannot say that it sounds overall vastly different apart from a few little musical nuances. I personally think the stereo actually adds something for me, even though there are certainly more orchestral sounds only audible on the recent released mono version. I am guessing that somehow the new mix will perhaps include some of the missing orchestra sounds but hopefully will maintain the sheer clarity and beauty of Frank's vocals matching them as closely as possible in sound quality to the mono version. This is a pure guess of course but I seem to recall there had been some previous criticism of the vocal reverb placed on some previous stereo mix releases. Personally speaking, I would not want to see too much of the vocal reverb removed. I would just like it to sound as FS himself would have liked it to sound because he always knew best how his voice should sound.
    Last edited by Jeffrey Simmons; 09-15-2018 at 09:21 AM.
    Jeffrey

That is a lovely video
    Jeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    For those who wear their heart on their sleeve… The Frank Sinatra Official Store has a limited edition Only the Lonely tee shirt up for pre-order.
    My first thought was "Who would wear that?" My second thought was "I have to have that." Ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    For those who wear their heart on their sleeve… The Frank Sinatra Official Store has a limited edition Only the Lonely tee shirt up for pre-order.

Bob.
    I’ve never been much of a fan of this album cover, but looking at it now on a T-shirt I think it looks great, quite current.
    Last edited by Tina...; 09-17-2018 at 05:44 AM.
    "I Could Have Danced All Night...".

19. Ordered the CD and LP!
    "It's nice to go trav'ling..."

Ordered the iconic T! Hope the L isn't TOO L!
    When You're Here, It's Family
    Twitter: @GijLyons