Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FRANK SINATRA SINGS FOR ONLY THE LONELY - 60TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION (UMe) 2018 

FRANK SINATRA SINGS FOR ONLY THE LONELY - 60TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION (UMe) 2018

FRANK SINATRA’S LANDMARK 1958 ALBUM
    FRANK SINATRA SINGS FOR ONLY THE LONELY
    RECEIVES NEW STEREO MIX FOR
    EXPANDED 60TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Only The Lonely’ (60th Anniversary Edition) to be Released Worldwide on
    October 19 in 2CD, 2LP Vinyl, Digital, and 1CD Packages

“I like recording late at night. The later the better.
    My voice was not made for daytime use.”
    – Frank Sinatra

1 CD Stereo Mix from Amazon.com
    2 CD Deluxe from Amazon.com
    2 LP Vinyl from Amazon.com
    Digital 1958 Mono Mix from Amazon.com
    Digital 2018 Stereo Mix from Amazon.com

1 CD Stereo Mix from Amazon UK
    2 CD Deluxe from Amazon UK
    2 LP Vinyl from Amazon UK
    Digital 1958 Mono Mix from Amazon UK
    Digital 2018 Stereo Mix from Amazon UK

Digital 1958 Mono Mix from iTunes
    Digital 2018 Stereo Mix from iTunes

Los Angeles – September 6, 2018 - Frank Sinatra’s intimate 1958 opus, Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely, has been newly mixed in stereo for an expanded 60th Anniversary Edition to be released worldwide on October 19 by Capitol/UMe and Frank Sinatra Enterprises. ‘Only The Lonely’ (60th Anniversary Edition) will be released in a Deluxe 2CD package, in 180-gram 2LP vinyl and 1CD configurations, and in two digital album versions. Starting tomorrow, “Angel Eyes” (2018 Stereo Mix) will be available for streaming and for immediate download with digital album preorder.

Only The Lonely’ (60th Anniversary Edition)’s 2CD Deluxe package pairs the album’s remastered original 1958 mono mix with a new 2018 stereo mix by Larry Walsh. Four bonus tracks from the mono session recordings are also featured, including studio takes making their release debuts: “Angel Eyes” (alternate session takes – May 5, 1958) and “Lush Life” (session takes – May 29, 1958). The album’s original mono mix makes its digital release debut in an expanded digital collection pairing the remastered album mix with the four bonus session recordings, while the 1CD, 2LP vinyl, and standard digital album configurations feature the album’s 2018 stereo mix. The new edition’s audio was mastered by Ron McMaster at Capitol Studios.

Only The Lonely’ was recorded as both a mono and stereo presentation,” explains Larry Walsh in his notes for the 60th Anniversary Edition. “The mono was the focus as that was the chief format of the day. The stereo was recorded with two microphones suspended high over the studio orchestra. Frank Sinatra’s voice was recorded onto a third track. With the stereo recording being mid-side decoded, the depth of the studio is revealed.”

For ‘Only The Lonely,’ Sinatra recorded evening sessions at Capitol Studios in May and June 1958, joined by an orchestra and his frequent collaborator, conductor and arranger Nelson Riddle. Sinatra delves deeply into love, pain, and loss across the album’s songs of heartbreak and yearning, including “One For My Baby (And One More For The Road),” “Angel Eyes,”’ and “Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry.” ‘Only The Lonely’ reached No. 1 on Billboard’s albums chart and remained on the charts for 120 weeks. At 1959’s inaugural GRAMMY Awards® ceremony, the album won the award for Best Recording Package.

The ones that stick in my mind are ‘Only The Lonely,’ ‘Wee Small Hours,’
    and Come Fly With Me, because I think the orchestrator’s work and my work
    came together so well
    .” – Frank Sinatra

Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely (60th Anniversary Edition)

2CD Deluxe

CD 1: Original 1958 Mono Mix + Bonus Tracks
    1. Only The Lonely
    2. Angel Eyes
    3. What’s New?
    4. It’s A Lonesome Old Town
    5. Willow Weep For Me
    6. Good-Bye
    7. Blues In The Night
    8. Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
    9. Ebb Tide
    10. Spring Is Here
    11. Gone With The Wind
    12. One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)
    Bonus Tracks (Mono)
    13. Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry (alt take – May 5, 1958)
    14. Angel Eyes (alt session takes – May 5, 1958) - previously unreleased

CD 2: New 2018 Stereo Mix + Bonus Tracks
    1. Only The Lonely
    2. Angel Eyes
    3. What’s New?
    5. Willow Weep For Me
    6. Good-Bye
    7. Blues In The Night
    9. Ebb Tide
    10. Spring Is Here
    11. Gone With The Wind
    Bonus Tracks (Mono)
    13. Lush Life (session takes – May 29, 1958) - previously unreleased
    14. One For My Baby (test track – June 24, 1958)

Expanded Digital Album (Mono)
    Original 1958 Mono Mix + Bonus Tracks
    1. Only The Lonely
    2. Angel Eyes
    3. What’s New?
    5. Willow Weep For Me
    6. Good-Bye
    7. Blues In The Night
    9. Ebb Tide
    10. Spring Is Here
    11. Gone With The Wind
    Bonus Tracks (Mono)
    13. Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry (alt take – May 5, 1958)
    14. Angel Eyes (alt session takes – May 5, 1958) - previously unreleased
    15. Lush Life (session takes – May 29, 1958) - previously unreleased
    16. One For My Baby (test track – June 24, 1958)

1CD; 2LP Vinyl; Digital Album (Stereo)
    New 2018 Stereo Mix

2LP Vinyl side splits
    Side A:
    1. Only The Lonely
    2. Angel Eyes
    3. What’s New?
    Side B:
    5. Willow Weep For Me
    6. Good-Bye
    Side C:
    7. Blues In The Night
    9. Ebb Tide
    Side D:
    10. Spring Is Here
    11. Gone With The Wind
    12. One For My Baby

2. Publicity images, reposted from earlier discussion

Double LP (Stereo remix only):

Single CD (Stereo remix only):

Double CD (Deluxe Stereo and Mono with bonus tracks):
    Bob.

Superb news, thanks to all involved. This is treating one of the seminal albums of the 20th century, and probably of all time, with the respect it deserves.

I was born in 1958 too. That rainbow Capitol label is so thrilling.
    Last edited by David; 09-14-2018 at 02:24 PM.

This will fit nice right next to my MFSL mono vinyl.
    Joe

Deluxe CD and Vinyl on order. Outstanding. Looks like a digibook with the deluxe CD. Very nice.
    Michael

7. Quote Originally Posted by UMe Press Release
    Starting tomorrow, “Angel Eyes” (2018 Stereo Mix) will be available for streaming and for immediate download with digital album preorder.
    —> Angel Eyes (2018 Stereo Mix) by Frank Sinatra on Spotify
    —> Angel Eyes (2018 Stereo Mix) by Frank Sinatra on Amazon Music - Amazon.com
    —> Angel Eyes (2018 Stereo Mix) by Frank Sinatra on Apple Music
    —> Angel Eyes (2018 Stereo Mix) by Frank Sinatra in iTunes Store

Source: YouTube

Bob.
    Last edited by Bob in Boston; 09-07-2018 at 04:33 AM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by UMe Press Release
    ‘Only The Lonely’ (60th Anniversary Edition) will be released […] in two digital album versions.
    Amazon.com preorder links:

—> Sings For Only The Lonely (2018 Stereo Mix) by Frank Sinatra on Amazon Music
    —> Sings For Only The Lonely (1958 Mono Mix / Expanded Edition) by Frank Sinatra on Amazon Music

Apple Music and iTunes Store (US):

—> Sings For Only The Lonely (2018 Stereo Mix) by Frank Sinatra on Apple Music
    —> Sings For Only The Lonely (1958 Mono Mix / Expanded Edition) by Frank Sinatra on Apple Music

—> Sings For Only The Lonely (2018 Stereo Mix) by Frank Sinatra in iTunes Store
    —> Sings For Only The Lonely (1958 Mono Mix / Expanded Edition) by Frank Sinatra in iTunes Store

NOTE: The “iTunes” links that were just added to the top post are actually Apple Music streaming links. To preorder digital downloads, use the last pair of links above. [Edit: Now fixed in top post.]

Bob.
    Last edited by Bob in Boston; 09-17-2018 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Added Apple links and NOTE.

In a way I think it’s a shame that streaming is so readily available for new releases,it almost takes away the excitement, and the anticipation.
    "I Could Have Danced All Night...".

10. Just pre-ordered the 2-CD deluxe edition and am eyeing the vinyl... So excited!!
    Kate

"Frank is just like you. Just like me. Only bigger."

Pre-ordered the Stereo Remix. Don‘t know whether the new Mono version can top the MFSL edition...
    "How long I been on ...?"

12. For those wanting to preorder the two digital albums from iTunes, see my NOTE in post #8 above.

Bob.

I just ordered the LP. I kind of wish it was mono, but I'll just have to live with the stereo.
    Greg
    "There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day." - Alexander Woollcott

Very glad to read this from Mr. Pignone in the Variety article! Great news!

"... we have on the planned schedule a bunch of these seminal albums that will hopefully get the same treatment. We have a five-year plan, depending on how the marketplace goes — a boxed set a year and then one or two reissues. Right now, I’m working on Sinatra and Ellington (the 1968 album “Francis A. and Edward K.”), which was at Reprise (Sinatra’s post-Capitol label). "

Is there a story behind the cover for this record?
    Robert

16. It was Dad's concept, interpreted by Nick Volpe. Though it was nominated for other awards, it only won the Grammy for best album cover. WHAT A TRAVESTY! (The album was inducted into the Grammy Hall Of Fame in 1999 to partially atone for the oversight.)

So appropriate to note that, Nancy. As with the academy awards, it is always interesting to look back and see the winners, and the nominees. The old phrase, that true Top Albums stand the test of time. Henry Mancini's Peter Gun , which got the grammy, is cool, but does it meet that criteria? Also, it's possible that pro Sinatra votes split between his TWO nominated albums, Come Fly with Me and Only the Lonely. There were other such instances over the years, as you know.
    From Grammy web site:
    1st Annual GRAMMY Awards
    May 4, 1959

Album Of The Year
    Winner: Henry Mancini, The Music From Peter Gunn
    Van Cliburn, Tchaikovksy: Concerto No. 1 In B-Flat Minor, Op. 23
    Ella Fitzgerald, Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Irving Berlin Songbook
    Frank Sinatra, Come Fly With Me
    Frank Sinatra, Only The Lonely
    Michael

18. Amazon is still showing list prices, but I would expect those to drop. (Pre-order now to lock in Amazon’s best price before release day.) As usual, ImportCDs has discounts of 24% to 29% off list. For reference to other vendors, these are the list prices as now shown at the Frank Sinatra Official Store:

Bob.

19. Quote Originally Posted by rdschonfeld View Post
    Is there a story behind the cover for this record?
    Think clown face paintings and/or Pagliacci.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Though it was nominated for other awards, it only won the Grammy for best album cover.
    Frank joked about it with Joey Bishop: —> "Son of a gun, I didn't know you could draw!"

Bob.

P.S. That TV comedy clip is from the Welcome Home Elvis Timex Show, now available on DVD. It was followed by FS singing “Gone with the Wind” from the album.
    Last edited by Bob in Boston; 09-08-2018 at 04:33 AM. Reason: P.S.

20. Quote Originally Posted by Ozmun View Post
    Also, it's possible that pro Sinatra votes split between his TWO nominated albums, Come Fly with Me and Only the Lonely.
    More than possible. Sinatra authorities have long explained this as the reason.

See also: —> THE FIRST GRAMMY AWARDS – 1958

Bob.