3 15.79%
  • Capitol - 1950s classic albums

10 52.63%
  • Reprise - longest substantive period of recording by "Old Blue Eyes"

6 31.58%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinatra Recordings: Favorite Era/Label

Sinatra Recordings: Favorite Era/Label

Frank Sinatra recorded for four major labels, RCA, mostly as a member of the Tommy Dorsey band, Columbia, which covered most of his singles recordings during the 1940s, Capitol, featuring classic long playing albums from the 1950s as well as the last albums he would make in the 1990s, and Reprise, Sinatra's foray into the world of owning/producing as well as recording music beginning in the 1960s and lasting longer than any of the other eras.

The exact dates of the times he recorded with each label is not important here. But what I am interested in capturing is the idea of which era our readers prefer. For instance, if you could only listen to his recordings from one of the four labels, which label would you select?

Larry

For me, it would be the Reprise era. Overall, perhaps not as remarkable as that run of classic albums at Capitol, but we find Sinatra both with the standards and trying out new things, from trying to get back in the charts through to Future from Trilogy and Watertown. If variety is the spice of life, then Reprise is the answer. And I could never give up the Basie and Ellington albums.

3. And I could never give up the Basie and Ellington albums.

ME EITHER.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.

Thanks for your takes on this Carole and Shane. I can't disagree with the logic of your preferences.

In my case, at age 67, I have always considered the Capitol albums/sound to be the best popular music ever recorded with Mr. Sinatra's voice at its peak. That said I find myself, for some unanswerable reason, listening to the Columbia material more frequently than the other labels. Heck, I wasn't ever around during the 1940s but something about that sound just appeals to me more and more as time goes on. I can't explain it. Perhaps I should have asked which label do readers listen to most frequently rather than which they favor. But for sure, the Reprise label offered the widest range/variety.

Thanks.

Larry

I knew I’d seen a similar thread Larry, I did. It’s here -> https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/show...-your-favorite
    "I Could Have Danced All Night...".

Quote Originally Posted by Tina... View Post
    I knew I’d seen a similar thread Larry, I did. It’s here -> https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/show...-your-favorite
    Thanks Tina. How on earth did you ever remember and then find this thread?

Larry

Gee wiz.....After 9 days only 8 votes have been tallied. Do I need to spread some PAC money around to get people out there to vote? I just counted over 800 avatars in the member community. Admittedly many of them are not active. But only 8 votes? WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO GET YOUR VOTE?

Larry, the brazen self promoter of this poll.....

8. If I could have voted for them all, I would have.

Bob.

Larry, I'm with Bob. I simply can't choose just one. I have favorites from every era/label and, choosing just one era would omit so many of them, I can't bring myself to do it.
    Kindness is a mark of faith. Whoever is not kind, has no faith ~ Muhammad

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    If I could have voted for them all, I would have.

Bob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    Larry, I'm with Bob. I simply can't choose just one. I have favorites from every era/label and, choosing just one era would omit so many of them, I can't bring myself to do it.
    I see your point Dina and Bob. I had this vague idea that the poll would be "age" driven to some degree with older members who grew up during the 1940s gravitating to the Columbia era, etc. I'm thinking Bobbysoxer and Rhoda as I type this. But that generation is probably no longer active in this forum. I wonder what my parents would choose since I've been told that their first real date was to see "Higher and Higher". But to not vote? So, your mother takes you to Howard Johnson's for an ice cream cone and there are 28 flavors to pick from. Would you go home without an ice cream because there were too many to choose from?

Larry, just trying to kick start the Voting Booth.....

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzotedesco View Post
    So, your mother takes you to Howard Johnson's for an ice cream cone and there are 28 flavors to pick from. Would you go home without an ice cream because there were too many to choose from?
    I would probably have the fried clams instead.
    Kindness is a mark of faith. Whoever is not kind, has no faith ~ Muhammad

12. Quote Originally Posted by lorenzotedesco View Post
    WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO GET YOUR VOTE?
    Start a poll about favorite flavor of ice cream.

Bob.

13. Quote Originally Posted by lorenzotedesco View Post
    So, your mother takes you to Howard Johnson's for an ice cream cone and there are 28 flavors to pick from.
    I did make a choice to vote on, but I have to laugh at your example, Larry. At least I know weíre not too far apart in age.

ó> The Last Howard Johnsonís in the Universe

Bob.

Bob.
    I think there is already a thread Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Tina... View Post
    I think there is already a thread Bob!
    And Tina strikes again.....

Larry

I did make a choice to vote on, but I have to laugh at your example, Larry. At least I know we’re not too far apart in age.
    [/I]
    That was a fun read, Bob. Thank you.

My family history is entwined with that of HOJOs. When we moved from NY to CT and purchased our first house my mother took a job as a waitress, working nights while my pop worked days. That kept someone with at least some sense of responsibility around for the 5 of us kids at any given time. Then, as each of us turned 16 we were "persuaded" to start working there as well. For a very long time there was someone from my family working at a HOJOs. It put me through college. I was a fountain boy (taking home $80 per week when the minimum wage was around $1.40), then cook, then assistant manager/trainee before I escaped. And on Wednesdays they had this "all you can eat" fish fry for something like $1.49. The line waiting to get into the place literally wrapped around the building. And I agree with Dina that the clams were pretty good too.Larry
    Last edited by lorenzotedesco; 09-19-2018 at 07:36 AM. Reason: typo

Bob.
    One thing,when it comes to choice, I’m sure we here can all agree, Frank was never.....Vanilla.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Tina... View Post
    One thing,when it comes to choice, Iím sure we here can all agree, Frank was never.....Vanilla.
    Actually, he was ó> Eskimo Pie.

Bob.

Hmm....Reprise is making a bit of a run at Capitol. All this while I listened to nothing but Sinatra/Dorsey all morning on my Echo. My, but his voice was quite high back then.

Larry

For me, Reprise. We are fortunate that Frank re-recorded most of his past works when he formed the label. We have the opportunity to hear them as he performed them in his later years.
    Out of the tree of life, I just picked me a plum