Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baseball 2019 & Other Sports

1. Cleveland lost the opener 2 -0 to MN. today. I was 0 - 0 til the 8th inning
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.

A few hardball tidbits to start the season: thus far, the champion Red Sox can't hit their way out of a paper bag; the Yankees have so many injuries, I think their games are being moved to the ballfield near Beth Israel Hospital -- where I played punchball a hundred years ago; the Mets have started nicely, and will probably battle the Phils & Nats tooth & nail for the division title; the Astros and Rays are playing great baseball; I think the Astros will play like that all season long; I expect the Jays to fold, once the Sox & Yanks get started!
    Stanley

Stanley,

I couldn't agree with you more. I fully expect the Sox and the Yankees to turn things around, and I expect the Rays and the Mariners will come back to reality.

Will miracles never cease? The pitcher for the Phillies...his last name is Elfin or Eflin...pitched his SECOND complete game, and is being praised to the heights on the talk shows this morning! Let's see how close he comes to my favorite Phils pitcher, the great Robin Roberts! I'm embarrassed to tell you how many complete games Roberts had in 1952! Let me put it this way...I'm guessing that the ENTIRE total for MLB this year doesn't come within 20 cg's of Roberts' total!
    Stanley

It's a different game today, Stanley.
    Pack a small bag....

Is It Ever, Ace!!
    Stanley

Did anyone notice that in last night's Diamondback-Phillies game, a total of THIRTEEN homers were hit -- the most hit one game in the entire history of MLB! Maybe the players aren't "juiced," but the baseballs sure are!
    Stanley

I agree 100%, Stanley! Some “genius” apparently decided baseball fans would rather see home runs and strikeouts than base hits, sacrifice bunts, and stolen bases.
    Fan attendance at games has been falling for several years. Maybe, like me, a lot of fans are purists and really don’t like what the game we used to call the national pastime has become.

Personally, I despise all the talk of “launch angles” and the way analytics have completely taken over the game. Is there an unwritten rule that keeps players from bunting or hitting a ground ball to beat those abominable infield shifts? Is there really an advantage to intentionally using 5 pitchers in a game instead of the traditional starter who pitches 7 or 8 innings and only needs 1 or 2 relievers to back him up?

Owners, GM’s, and decision makers - bring back the traditional ways of playing the game. If you do it, we will come.
    Kindness is a mark of faith. Whoever is not kind, has no faith ~ Muhammad

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    Personally, I despise all the talk of “launch angles” and the way analytics have completely taken over the game.
    Go here and look at the categories. I recognize most of the ones under Standard Batting but am completely baffled by the Player Value--Batting.
    Pack a small bag....

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I agree 100%, Stanley! Some “genius” apparently decided baseball fans would rather see home runs and strikeouts than base hits, sacrifice bunts, and stolen bases.
    Fan attendance at games has been falling for several years. Maybe, like me, a lot of fans are purists and really don’t like what the game we used to call the national pastime has become.

Personally, I despise all the talk of “launch angles” and the way analytics have completely taken over the game. Is there an unwritten rule that keeps players from bunting or hitting a ground ball to beat those abominable infield shifts? Is there really an advantage to intentionally using 5 pitchers in a game instead of the traditional starter who pitches 7 or 8 innings and only needs 1 or 2 relievers to back him up?

Owners, GM’s, and decision makers - bring back the traditional ways of playing the game. If you do it, we will come.
    Well said, Dina. So much that we love about the game has changed in the face of business and media perceptions..
    Robert

Jason Heyward, by homering last night, became the first Cub with a Beer Trifecta this season... a home run at Coors Field, Miller Park, and Busch Stadium in the same season. Kyle Schwarber was the only Cub to do it last year.

Credit to Christopher Kamka on FB.
    Pack a small bag....

Apropos the juiced ball, four Mets pitchers have hit five home runs so far this season. First time in MLB history, if I understood correctly.
    Robert