Thread: NFF SHOW #448 - Week of February 10, 2019 (Valentine's Day Special)

1. NFF SHOW #448 - Week of February 10, 2019 (Valentine's Day Special)

Nancy for Frank
    Starring Nancy Sinatra
    February 10, 2019
    Show 448

1. Opening: Without A Song (FS – Reprise)

Valentine's Day 2019

NOTE: This special VALENTINE'S DAY show will also air on THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 14 at 11:00am eastern time. We hope you'll join us!

1. Opening: Without A Song (FS - Reprise)

2. I Love You (FS – Reprise)
    3. I Love You (FS – Capitol)
    4. (Just One Way To Say) I Love You (FS – Columbia)
    5. I Love You (FS – Radio)

6. Love Means Love (FS & Rosemary Clooney)
    7. I Wish I Were In Love Again (FS – Capitol)
    8. At Long Last Love (FS – Capitol)
    9. You Brought A New Kind Of Love To Me (FS – Capitol)
    10. I Am Loved
    11. Everybody Loves Somebody (FS – Capitol)
    12. My One And Only Love (FS – Capitol)

13. When Your Lover Has Gone (FS – Capitol)
    14. What Is This Thing Called Love (FS – Capitol)
    15. This Love Of Mine (FS – Capitol)
    16. This Love Of Mine (FS & Tommy Dorsey)

17. And I Love Her So (Frank Sinatra Jr.)
    18. Mac Arthur Park (FS – Reprise)
    19. The Colors Of My Life (Frank Sinatra Jr.)

20. Spice (Frank Sinatra Jr.)
    21. Girl Talk (Frank Sinatra Jr. & Steve Tyrell)

22. Hidden Persuasion (FS – Capitol)

Album Spotlight: Sinatra at the Sands (Reprise, 1966)
    With The Count Basie Band Conducted By Quincy Jones
    Arranged By Quincy Jones & Billy Byers

23. Come Fly With Me
    24. I’ve Got A Crush On You
    25. I’ve Got You Under My Skin
    26. The Shadow Of Your Smile
    27. Street Of Dreams
    28. One For My Baby

29. Fly Me To The Moon
    30. One O’clock Jump (Basie Instrumental)
    31. FS Monolog (Edited)
    32. You Make Me Feel So Young

33. All Of Me (Basie Instrumental)
    34. The September Of My Years
    35. Get Me To The Church On Time
    36. It Was A Very Good Year
    37. Don’t Worry ‘Bout Me
    38. Makin’ Whoopee (Basie Instrumental)

39. Where Or When
    40. Angel Eyes
    41. My Kind Of Town
    42. A Few Last Words…
    43. My Kind Of Town (Reprise)

44. We’ve Only Just Begun (Frank Sinatra Jr.)
    45. Close To You (FS – Reprise)
    46. So Many Stars (Frank Sinatra Jr.)
    47. Sentimental Baby (FS – Capitol)

48. The People That You Never Get To Love (Frank Sinatra Jr.)
    49. You, My Love (FS - Capitol)
    50. To Love And Be Loved (FS – Capitol)
    51. Love Me (FS – Columbia)

52. Prisoner Of Love (FS - Reprise)
    53. I Loved Her (FS – Reprise)
    54. My Funny Valentine (FS – Capitol)

55. Closing: Put Your Dreams Away (FS – Capitol)
    Last edited by Chuck Granata; 02-10-2019 at 07:10 AM.
    BONX!

2. Thanks, Chuckles.

3. Looking forward to this one!
    Brian
    http://noebie.com

It's Frank's world. We're just posting in it.

4. In the living room, tapping my foot in anticipation...
    Brian

5. Absolutely loving these songs from Frankie. Some folks from our family are not familiar with his music, and are flabbergasted at the moment.
    Brian

How glad the many millions . . .

. . . of Anabels and Lillians would be . . . to capture me . . .

My God he is in good voice as he sings the seldom-heard opening verse to "I've Got a Crush on You." For the fun of it I just Googled the song title. The first offering this day is the early version from the Columbia "Greatest Hits" album of 78 rpm records. And the accompanying lyric is transcribed from Frank's late in life duet with Barbara Streisand, complete with their sung patter: "Yes, I've got a crush, my Barbra on you / "YOU will make me blush, Francis. Yes! I've got a crush on YOU . . . "

To enjoy after this wonderful show, the early Columbia years version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtH02InlKP4

THE PEOPLE THAT YOU NEVER GET TO LOVE . . .

"The saddest words that anyone has ever said are . . . Lord! What might have been!"

Sorry Frank Sinatra. My favorite song on this wonderful program (for personal reasons) is sung by your son: THE PEOPLE THAT YOU NEVER GET TO LOVE. I never heard another singer's version of this obscure Rupert Holmes (words & music) song from exactly 40 years ago. But I could never imagine a better reading. Yes, THIS will always be "my favorite song sung by Frankie." He owns it. His vocal timbre was never better; his interpretation is simply . . . perfect.

Every stanza of the lyric is casually brilliant. I'm partial to composers who are my age. In this case, a composer born three weeks before me -- February 24, 1947. Famous, of course, for another song that was No. 1 in the U.S. and Canada that summer of 1979. (A song with two titles, Wiki reminds us)

'Rupert Holmes (born David Goldstein on February 24, 1947) is a British-American composer, singer-songwriter, musician, dramatist and author. He is widely known for the hit singles "Escape (The Piņa Colada Song)" (1979) and "Him" (1980).'

---

We're hooked at the very first words of this song:

You're browsing through a second hand bookstore
    And you see her in non-fiction V through Y
    She looks up from World War II
    And then you catch her, catching you -- catching her eye

I've often thought that lyrics are mainly of two types: "Tell me" (something) or "Show me" and as the MY FAIR LADY song of that name reminds us, SHOW ME is better every time. Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmCf6tAO19g

(The lyrics are transcribed just below the video, "posted 2 years ago by John Paradise." Thank you John.)
    Last edited by Mark Blackburn; 02-10-2019 at 04:56 PM.

One of my favorite opening lines ever was a nice extra to all of the wonderful selections tonight - “How did all these people get in my room?“

Splendid as always, Nancy! Happy Valentines Day to you and your family
    Lucky be a lady tonight.

Listening and loving it Who better to listen to when you want to hear songs about LOVE I'm loving the "gabbing" as well. Wonderful!!! Thanks Nancy and Chuck
    Tricia

Love IS all there is

MY ONE AND ONLY LOVE

Listening to "Nancy for Frank" the Valentine's Day show and playing, as I type this -- one of my favorite ballads. I'd forgotten that this was another song that (like "Don't Worry 'bout Me") might not have seen the light of day without our favorite singer's intervention -- till jazz giants could work their magic with the wonderful melody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tuH3i-KarM

Wikipedia says

"My One and Only Love" is a popular song with music written by Guy Wood and lyrics by Robert Mellin. Published in 1952, it is a conventional 32-bar song with four 8-bar sections, including a bridge ("Type A" or "AABA" song structure). (Almost) invariably performed as a ballad, it has an aria-like melody that is a challenge to many vocalists; in the key of C, the song's melody extends from G below middle C to the second D above middle C.

The song originated in 1947 as “Music from Beyond the Moon” with music by Guy B. Wood and lyrics by Jack Lawrence. Vocalist Vic Damone recorded this version in 1948, but it was unsuccessful.

In 1952, Robert Mellin wrote a new title and lyrics for the song, and it was republished that year as “My One and Only Love”. When Frank Sinatra recorded it in 1953 with Nelson Riddle, first released as B-side to his hit single "I've Got the World on a String" (Capitol 2505), it became known. Then popular saxophonist Charlie Ventura saw the song's "jazz potential" and recorded the first instrumental version in the very same year.[1]

As an instrumental jazz standard, it remained predominantly a song for tenor saxophonists. Ben Webster recorded the tune with Art Tatum in autumn 1956. John Coltrane recorded his version with vocalist Johnny Hartman ten years after Ventura in 1963 (John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman). This was followed by Sonny Rollins in 1964. He re-recorded it in 1977, this time on soprano saxophone. Later interpretations came from Chico Freeman, Michael Brecker, and Joshua Redman.

Vocal renditions of "My One and Only Love" were recorded by Ella Fitzgerald, Johnny Mathis, Doris Day, Mark Murphy, Chet Baker and Kurt Elling. Cassandra Wilson turned the song into an up-tempo swing number.

[P.S. A different posting of this song at YouTube has 1.6 million (correct) views. Transferred my comments from here to there to remind viewers about NANCY FOR FRANK and Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkWplI8fOyM
    Last edited by Mark Blackburn; 02-14-2019 at 09:35 AM. Reason: post script