Thread: NFF SHOW #461 - Week of May 12, 2019 

1. NFF SHOW #461 - Week of May 12, 2019

Nancy for Frank
    Starring Nancy Sinatra
    May 12, 2019
    Show 461

ARTIST SPOTLIGHT: Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
    ALBUM SPOTLIGHT: All Alone (Reprise)

1. Opening: Without A Song (FS – Reprise)

2. Ring-A-Ding Ding (FS – Reprise)
    3. The Lonesome Road (FS – Capitol)
    4. I Got Plenty Of Nothing (FS – Capitol)
    5. Here’s To The Losers (FS – Reprise

6. In A Sentimental Mood (Johnny Mathis)
    7. Melancholy Mood (FS & Harry James)
    8. In The Mood (Glen Miller)
    9. I’m In The Mood For Love (FS – Radio)

10. Wishing (Will Make It So) (FS & Harry James)
    11. When You Wish Upon A Star (Johnny Mathis)
    12. High Hopes (FS & Eddie Hodges - FS In Hollywood)

13. When I Stop Loving You (FS – Capitol)
    14. I Can’t Stop Loving You (FS – Reprise)
    15. I Can’t Believe I’m Losing You (FS – Reprise)

Artist Spotlight: Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
    Arrangements by Cluas Ogerman & Emir Deodato

16. The Girl Friom Ipanema
    17. Dindi
    18. Change Partners
    19. Corcovado
    20. Meditation

21. If You Never Come To Me
    22. How Insensitive
    23. I Concentrate On You
    24. Baubles, Bangles & Beads
    25. Once I Loved

26. Drinking Water
    27. Someone To Light Up My Life
    28. Triste
    29. This Happy Madness
    30. Song Of The Sabia

31. One Note Samba
    32. Don’t Ever Go Away
    33. Wave
    34. Desafinado

Album Spotlight: All Alone (Reprise, 1962)
    Arranged & Conducted By Gordon Jenkins

35. All Alone
    36. The Girl Next Door
    37. Are You Lonesome Tonight
    38. Charmaine
    39. What’ll I Do
    40. When I Lost You

41. Oh, How I Miss You Tonight
    42. Indiscreet
    43. Remember
    44. Together
    45. The Song Is Ended

46. Come Waltz With Me

47. Indiscreet (Frank Sinatra Jr.)

48. Clementine (FS & Burl Ives – Radio)
    49. My Melancholy Baby (FS – Columbia)
    50. I’m Sorry I Made You Cry (FS – Columbia)

51. Daybreak (FS – Radio)
    52. Daybreak (FS – Reprise)
    53. It’s The Same Old Dream (FS – Capitol)
    54. P.S. I Love You (FS – Capitol)
    55. The Song Is You (FS – Victor)
    56. There But For You Go I (FS – Columbia)

57. Closing: Put Your Dreams Away (FS – Capitol)
    Last edited by Chuck Granata; 05-19-2019 at 06:09 AM.
    BONX!

2. Wishing all the wonderful moms out there a happy, blessed Mother's Day! Hope this sentimental show helps to enhance this special day!

A VERY special nod to our beautiful host, Miss Nancy, and to her two amazing daughters AJ and Mandy - both devoted and loving moms themselves! And, with great love, we remember the dearest Sinatra "mom" of all, Nancy Sr.
    BONX!

3. I will be home and listening. Thank you Nancy. Thank you Chuck.

Happy Mother's Day to Nancy Sr., Nancy Jr, AJ and Amanda.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Granata View Post
    A VERY special nod to our beautiful host, Miss Nancy, and to her two amazing daughters AJ and Mandy - both devoted and loving moms themselves! And, with great love, we remember the dearest Sinatra "mom" of all, Nancy Sr.
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.
    Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. ~ Eilie Wiesel

Happy Sunday and a very special Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful Moms listening to today's Nancy for Frank broadcast!

Cheers!

Broght me back to when my mother would sing around our small Brooklyn apartment...
    “My Melancholy Baby” soulful poetry...
    Thank you Nancy and Chuck !
    Happy Tuesday listener...xo
    Forever Frank ~ Forever Betty ~ Forever Dina ~ Forever Bobbysoxer

What a great show....such great music!

The spotlight album was particularly poignant for me. My last position before retiring took me to Asia and around the world 1-2x a month for over 4 years. For every one of those trips (starting from the States), I played the All Alone album on my first flight.

It was always sad leaving my family (typically 3 week trips) and although the album is comprised of Torch songs, the combination of Frank's in-form voice plus Gordon Jenkins beautiful arrangements just felt right for my mood. Naturally, on the flight home from the UK to the US I always played uplifting albums.

Nancy, I took note of the comparison between your Dad & Brother for Indiscreet. It called to mind A Cottage for Sale which was delivered so breezily by Nat Cole In Just One of Those Things vs. your Dad's treatment in No One Cares.

A lot of love went into this show. My first opportunity to appreciate this wonderful program in its entirety -- loving every minute! Thanks Nancy & Chuck. Wishing everyone could hear the sonic beauty of "Nancy For Frank" streamed through your computer in perfect 'hi-def' sound! I listen through Sennheiser PX 100's earphones. They made the mic Frank insisted on recording with. (But you knew that, right?)

At this moment it is Dindi – whose lyricist the late Gene Lees was there in the studio that magic night in 1967 – present as Frank's guest – for this recording -- before Nancy and her Dad went into the studio next door, the same night, to record Somethin' Stupid. Lees said he never was so deeply affected by any recording than hearing Frank's take on Dindi.

“Today's artist spotlight,” Nancy just announced, “is devoted to the complete studio recordings” (of Frank and A.C. Jobim) and the tracks we've just listened to, Nancy notes were all “arranged by Claus Ogerman” ahead of the tracks arranged, two years later, by Eumir Deodato.

What a joy to hear them introduced by Nancy -- who returned to say that this album with Claus Ogerman inspired her Dad to do the later recordings "without strings" and "a shade brighter and a bit more dramatic" -- arranged by the "brilliant young jazz musician, Eumir Deodato."
    Last edited by Mark Blackburn; 05-16-2019 at 06:34 PM.

SONG OF THE SABIA - arranged by “Deodato” (but not released)

The 'love I made' – to LOSE myself . . .
    Those mistakes I made – to FIND myself . . .

[Elsewhere, last month, I finally wrote a note of appreciation for this one. It really is a brilliant "bird song" arrangement and splendid vocal.]

I'd forgotten the terrific lyric for SONG OF THE SABIA. It could pass for loving deathbed recollections of a man watching, in the movie-of-the-mind, “my life passing before my eyes.”

Never heard any other version of this most obscure song from Brazil before it was played years ago on Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio – as it was a moment ago:

Finally appeared as a bonus track on the latter-day CD combining the Sinatra/Jobim recordings of two different sessions, the first and most famous, the 1967 with orchestrations by Polish-born, mostly-American arranger Claus Ogerman, the latter recordings arranged by Eumir Deodato (from the session that produced my favorite (Frank's too?) – WAVE).

Is it at YouTube? Yes! A version with 51-thousand “views” and the best (informed by Brazilians) “comments” (below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJuN2vreIRE

leonardo rizzo 4 years ago (edited)
    the original lyrics,was wrote by Chico Buarque de Holanda under influence of Exile Song, a poem by Gonçalves Dias, a brazilian romantic poet, that says: "My land has palms where the sabiá sings. The birds that sing here don't sing like there. God, don't give permission for my death before my return to my land..."

mark andre augustus
    3 years ago
    The opening melodic passage is taken note for note from the call of the sabia in the forest. This is so brilliant taken from nature. A very haunting melody. A Jobim classic. Love to hear it a cappella as well.

ONE NOTE SAMBA -- best-ever recording by any singer

I'd forgotten how much I love Frank's take on ONE NOTE SAMBA. He sings it with effortless grace -- a deceptively 'artless' delivery. You think, I could sing that! Oh no you can't. The breath control in the phrasing on the bridge. So easily delivered you're not even aware of the brilliance of his technique. Yes, at this moment my favorite track arranged by Deodato!

11. So easily delivered you're not even aware of the brilliance of his technique. Yes, at this moment my favorite track arranged by Deodato!

That is why he is the greatest singer ever put on earth.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.

12. Re: SONG OF THE SABIA - arranged by “Deodato” (but not released)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
    It really is a brilliant "bird song" arrangement […]
    Hi, Mark. For those unaware, the sabiá is a songbird, the national bird of Brazil. (Lots of interesting details in the song article at —> Wikipedia.)

It should be mentioned that the “not released” part of the subject line is not entirely accurate. Although the original planned Sinatra Jobim album was unreleased (save for a few surviving copies on withdrawn 8-track cartridge), “Song of the Sabiá” WAS issued in 1970 on a Reprise single (B-side of “Lady Day”) and a few subsequent non-US LP issues. The SFF Sessionography, Discography, and Frank’s Recordings Forum are your friends:

—> Frank Sinatra Sessionography: Song Of The Sabiá
    —> Frank Sinatra Album - Sinatra Jobim 1969 Reprise 8FH-1028 [withdrawn]
    —> Frank Sinatra Album - Sinatra Jobim 1969 Reprise FS-1028 [unreleased]
    —> SINATRA / JOBIM 1967 & 1969

Finally appeared as a bonus track on the latter-day CD combining the Sinatra/Jobim recordings of two different sessions, […]
    —> SINATRA/JOBIM, THE COMPLETE REPRISE RECORDINGS [Concord Edition] 2010

Is it at YouTube?
    The entire Complete Reprise Recordings CD may be heard at YouTube (and Spotify):

—> Sinatra/Jobim: The Complete Reprise Recordings - YouTube Playlist
    —> The Song Of The Sabia, a song by Antônio Carlos Jobim, Frank Sinatra on Spotify

Source: YouTube

Bob.