Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impressive Non-Frank Recordings

Impressive Non-Frank Recordings

Not sure if there's ever been a thread on SS71 where listeners have posted a recording they've heard during the day that has "knocked she/he out!" If not, I think it can be fun, and, as I've mentioned previously, it can open new vistas for listeners, and result in purchasing the available CD on which said recording is found!

Yesterday, at about 3PM or so, I heard Nancy's gorgeous recording of "For Once In My Life!" I've heard Stevie Wonder, Frank, & Mr. Benedetto sing it, but I'm having difficulty remembering when, if ever, I've heard a female singer give this wonderful song "a go!" Nancy's voice, interpretation, and the arrangement truly "knocked me out!" An unforgettable Siriusly Sinatra moment!

note: I'm not "stroking" Nancy, and she hasn't paid me to post this!
    Stanley

2. Quote Originally Posted by sschweiger View Post
    I heard Nancy's gorgeous recording of "For Once In My Life!"

Source: YouTube

Spotify: —> For Once In My Life, a song by Nancy Sinatra
    Album thread: —> NANCY : TWELVE WAYS (1969)
    Album on YouTube: —> Nancy

Bob.

By the way, "For Once In My Life" had originally been recorded by Connie Haines for the Motown label. Haines' version would remain in the vault until it surfaced a few years ago on the Motown Unreleased 1965 digital collection.

Andrew

What do you see when you turn out the light . . .

Earlier this evening Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio played Kenny Rankin's take on a Beatles tune popularized by Ringo. Easily the best version I'd never heard of WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS. The arrangement, though almost 40 years old, sounds so fresh and new! Wonder if this was another great chart from Kenny's life-long family friend, Don Costa.

I was blown away by this recording (from a 1980 black vinyl LP that didn't sell well or make it into CD format). It's another reminder of the unique musical genius that was Kenny Rankin -- who left us ten summers ago: a baritone with an amazing, upper-register athleticism that so impressed musicians -- sax players especially.

Is this song at YouTube? Yes! Thanks to Sirius radio for playing a Kenny Rankin song I'd not heard before this night; and thanks Stanley for starting this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7JuvTSShw0

non frank recordings

excellent thread. i have a few songs that i've heard the first time on the sinatra station. Destination Moon by dinah washington. Down in the depths by johnny hartman. Kiss & Run by joannie Sommers. It was Me by tony bennett. The Music that Makes Me Dance by barbara streisand. If you got Leavin on your mind by Patsey Cline (that one was on the 50's channel). Also fom the 50's channel, Chapel of Dreams by the Dubs.
    I will be 62 next month and i grew up listening to WNEW in NY and also the oldies station on fm. but thanks to sirius radio i am still finding gems like these that i either never heard before or for whatever reason never noticed till now. Either way i a grateful to these programs and the people behind them.

vinny b.

" . . . thanks to Sirius radio I am still finding gems . . . that I either never heard before, or for whatever reason never noticed till now. Either way I am grateful to these programs and the people behind them."

I second that emotion, Vinny B. Thanks for sharing -- and for singling out a couple of your favorite 'gems' from the 50's Channel:

" . . . If You Got Leavin' on Your Mind by Patsy Cline [and] Chapel of Dreams by the Dubs. "

I'M HOME – an overlooked, 50 year old gem of a song

Baby, you walk in and then, I'm home! Makes no difference where – if you're there, I'm home.
    Poets say that 'Home is where the Heart Is' – and in my heart I know it's true . . . that,
    anywhere I'm with YOU . . . I'm home!

I'M HOME is the last track (of eleven) on my favorite living singer Calabria Foti's new CD, “Prelude to a Kiss.” The opening and closing 30 seconds of the arrangement (by Calabria and her virtuoso trombonist husband Bob McChesney) are lush and lovely orchestral 'quotes' from Aaron Copeland's magnificent symphonic work, “Letter from Home.”

Composer/arranger/conductor – and jazz pianist extraordinaire -- Roger Kellaway plays a solo on the musical bridge that is take-your-breath-away beautiful. Wish all the Family here could hear it. But you won't unless you obtain a copy of Calabria Foti's latest CD, “Prelude to a Kiss.” (If you do that, and you don't love this CD, I'll pay for your copy!)

Concerning “I'M HOME” Calabria writes in her liner notes:

“The final song was written by my friend, singer Michael Dees. I hope [this music] touches your heart deeply and makes you feel closer to loved ones. Because, as Dorothy Gale once said, 'There is no place like home'.”

Her friend Michael Dees (the only version at YouTube) performs his otherwise overlooked gem – for which he composed both words & music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfVbuLkoagk

According to WikiSimpsons (which has every available fact about every Simpsons episode)

Michael Dees (born August 30, 1941) is an American singer. He serves as an occasional singer and vocalist for The Simpsons [His singing voice is heard on nine Simpsons episodes including:]

Episode – "Hurricane Neddy"
    Episode – "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson" ("Theme from New York, New York")
    Episode – "She Used to Be My Girl"
    Episode – "The Seemingly Never-Ending Story"
    Episode – "That '90s Show"

"Sinatra style at its best!"

It took 15 seconds for me to spot the singer, as Siriusly Sinatra just played Nancy Sinatra's THE HUNGRY YEARS – my new favorite looking-back-with-longing song.

The arrangement is simple yet orchestral – lovely! And Nancy's voice never sounded better, to my ears. You agree? The melody in perfect sync with these evocative words:

I miss the hungry years, the “once upon a time,” the lovely 'Long Ago' – we didn't have a dime! Those days of “Me & You” we lost along the way . . .

Who's the pianist, I wonder? (The session's musical director, I'm guessing?) He is merely perfect! Yes, Stanley, as you said at the start of this thread – the unexpected joy of suddenly being suprised -- 'blown away' -- by a beautiful “new” song! Thanks to Jersey Lou Simon for playing this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7QxOjrZ034

[First “comment” below this approved video]

Randall Sundeen (1 year ago)
    The first version of this song I heard was Johhny Mathis. I love the Neil Sedaka wrote a beauty: Sinatra style at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
    Who's the pianist, I wonder? (The session's musical director, I'm guessing?) He is merely perfect!
    I believe the pianist is "the ever faithful, always cool" Don Randi, with whom Nancy has worked since 1965.
    Andrew

10. Actually, they were all Nashville musicians hired by Billy Strange. I have pictures and names someplace.

Ever faithful, always cool!

Yet another link to just the sort of info I was hoping for! Thanks -- for these thoughts especially (and the 44 second clip of Don and Nancy "at work"):

----

'Nancy’s recording of “The Love Theme From The Independent” is featured on the end title sequence of the 2000 film The Independent. The recording session for the song is documented on the film’s 2007 edition DVD (released: February 12, 2008), as the bonus feature “The Making Of ‘The Love Theme From The Independent’ Starring Nancy Sinatra.” This 5-minute, 20-second featurette provides a rare and invaluable look at Nancy in the recording studio with Don Randi, composer Ben Vaughn, director Stephen Kessler, and producer and co-writer Mike Wilkins. Although the song has not been released on CD or as digital download, the 3-minute, 30-second version can be heard over the end title on the DVD. The extended vocal version is contained in the DVD’s documentary bonus feature.

'Nancy’s simultaneously sultry and droll performance and the accompanying behind-the-scenes footage illustrating Nancy and Don’s creative process are hidden gems of Nancy’s catalog.'

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Actually, they were all Nashville musicians hired by Billy Strange. I have pictures and names someplace.
    Tony Migliore is credited for keyboards in the Nancy & Lee 3 CD booklet. I assumed that the backing track and the solo vocal for the "Hungry Years" had been previously recorded because Tony Migliore is not credited for piano in the digital booklet for Shifting Gears (Don Randi – Larry Knechtel – Larry Muhoberac – Mike Melvoin), and Lee's vocal on the duet version sounds like an overdub.

Tony Migliore also played piano on Frankie's It's Alright album.
    Andrew

A.J. Lambert -- EBB TIDE

At this moment Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio is playing "A.J. Lambert -- EBB TIDE" -- and a search took me instantly to "Spotify" and an arresting 'on a high wire' cover. Track One. Beautiful!

https://open.spotify.com/album/5i5i6JyP6Of4pjKRFf7gVl

14. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
    "A.J. Lambert -- EBB TIDE"

Full album playlist on YouTube: —> AJ Lambert – Careful You
    Album details: —> AJ's Discography – Solo LP: Careful You
    Thread in AJ’s Projects forum: —> New AJ Website and Album

Bob.
    Last edited by Bob in Boston; 08-01-2019 at 05:07 AM.

Hey, Stanley! – Remember “Jack Dempsey's Broadway”? Remember Nick Perito?

Listening a moment ago to “Nancy's third single” (1962) JUNE, JULY & AUGUST, playing on Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio; the first version at YouTube this day features a photo of the actual, 45. Wonder if Nancy has fond memories of recording this beautiful tune. Jersey Lou Simon obviously likes this one as much as we do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Saor_3BWGrs

I spot the arranger/conductor's name; not familiar with Mr. Perito, that leads to his interesting (to me) Wiki entry. Small world: it references the accidental death of Michell Ayers, something which Nancy and Chuck (coincidentally?) discussed on the latest “Nancy for Frank” program:

"Nicholas Perito (April 7, 1924 – August 4, 2005)[1][2] was an American Hollywood composer and arranger and, for 40 years, the closest collaborator of singer Perry Como.[3][4]

Early years[edit]

Born in Denver, Perito's start in music was at an early age, when he received an accordion as a gift from his parents. Both his uncle and brother encouraged his learning by gifts of sheet music; as he mastered one song, he would then be given a new one as an incentive . . .

Being drafted in 1943 took him to New York, where he served as an Army medic in World War II; Perito remained in New York after World War II, entering the Juilliard School of Music . . .

Perito went home to Denver to marry his high school sweetheart, Judy Stone, and worked at Denver's KOA with his own weekday radio program in 1946.[7] The couple then settled in New York, where he worked as a songwriter,[3] arranger, and accordion/piano session musician.[5][8][9] Perito also had his own band that had a permanent spot at Jack Dempsey's Broadway Restaurant, owned by the boxer.[10]

His first association with Perry Como came through Como's arranger, Ray Charles (the 'other Ray Charles of “Singers” fame) in the early 1950s. Como had recorded a novelty song, "Hoop-De-Doo", and Perito was hired to accompany him on accordion for television performances of the song.[5] He became the musical director of United Artists Records in 1961.[11]

In 1963, Como's musical conductor, Mitchell Ayres, wanted to hire some new arrangers for Como's television show; Charles recommended Perito. When Ayres left to take a job as the conductor of The Hollywood Palace, Perito became the singer's music director and conductor.[5] Como credited Perito with the idea of making his 1987 album, Today.[12] Perito worked with Como through his last performance: his Irish Christmas special in 1994.[13][14] When Mitchell Ayres was killed in a traffic accident in 1969, former Como show producer Nick Vanoff, who was now with The Hollywood Palace, suggested Perito as Ayres' replacement.[1][15][16]

Perito's other credits include the Kennedy Center Honors, where he again worked with Vanoff.[1] He was also the musical director for the American Film Institute awards, as well as The Don Knotts Variety Show, Andy Williams and Bing Crosby television specials.[1][6]Perito wrote the music for the 1968 film, Don't Just Stand There! with Robert Wagner and Mary Tyler Moore . . .

Perito became the musical director for Bob Hope in 1993, and worked with Hope's wife, Dolores, when she decided to pick up her singing career after 60 years. Perito played accordion for actor Paul Sorvino's PBS musical special in 1996.[23] Perito, along with musicians Dick Grove and Allyn Ferguson, was a founder and partner in the Grove School of Music in Van Nuys, California. The school was accredited in 1979 but could no longer afford to keep its doors open by 1991.

His work earned Perito a dozen Emmy nominations.[1][26] before his death of pulmonary fibrosis in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
    Listening a moment ago to “Nancy's third single” (1962) JUNE, JULY & AUGUST, playing on Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio; the first version at YouTube this day features a photo of the actual, 45. Wonder if Nancy has fond memories of recording this beautiful tune. Jersey Lou Simon obviously likes this one as much as we do!

For more about Nick Perito, see the blog post Pensa a Nancy in Italia.

Regarding Nancy's performance of Cole Porter's "Don't Look At Me That Way," arranged by Nick Perito, on The Many Moods Of Perry Como TV special (1970):

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    It's a terrific song from the Great American Songbook. ...

It had to be pre-recorded because of camera angles and they didn't want microphones showing. We did it only once, prompting Nick Perito to say, "One take? That's amazing! It must run in the family!"

Last edited by AndrewT; 08-01-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    Andrew

Thanks so very much, Andrew. Just the links I was hoping for. As usual. You and Bob are my heroes. But you knew that.

Thank you for the opportunity to lisen to this track. I like the smooth quality of AJ's voice, and I admire her ability to hold attention in such a slow tempo. I do think the arrangement itself is a distraction from her delivery, especially the low register of the horns in the first part of the song, which just sounds like a drone and not the tide itself.

Also, very much like the cover. Good art director there.
    Robert

Gloria Estefan – HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON?

Thought of you, Stanley and your asking what new versions of songs have "blown you away?"

At this moment Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio is playing the freshest arrangement of the Gershwins' HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON – Gloria Estefan with a full symphony orchestra – from her album of standards of six years ago. First offering at YouTube this night – a live performance, from the summer of 2013. The arrangement is a striking blend of traditional and futuristic, as "Gloria performs 'The Standards' with the Henry Mancini Institute Orchestra, led and conducted by Grammy-Award nominee Shelly Berg at the renowned New World Center."

Yes, I have her Standards CD but haven't heard it in so long I got to be blown-away anew, this night! What an arrangement! what a band, what a singer! And 'live' before a large audience (no room for error!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuWYbkfNHuc

PBS which carried the special, noted at the time:

Over the course of her illustrious career, Gloria Estefan, the seven-time Grammy® Award-winning international superstar, has recorded many classics from the American Songbook and collaborated with musical icons such as Frank Sinatra, BB King, Luciano Pavarotti, Placido Domingo, Jose Carreras and, most recently, with the legendary Tony Bennett. It has been a lifelong dream of Gloria's to record an entire album of standards — songs that have a very special meaning in her life

At this moment, just for us, Jersey Lou is playing George Michael's version (my favorite) of YOU'VE CHANGED. The song has a one-line entry in Wikipedia . . . that wasn't there, the last time I looked!

"You've Changed" is a popular song written by Bill Carey with music by Carl Fischer in 1942.[1] The melody features descending chromaticism.[2]

First version at YouTube this day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er4uxL1dcRc