Thread: Frank Sinatra and the Astronauts

1. Frank Sinatra and the Astronauts

ABC has recently released some rare footage of Mr. Sinatra at the All Star Tribute To The Apollo 11 Astronauts from 8-16-1969 at the Houston Astrodome to mark the upcoming 50th anniversary of the 1969 Moon landing. Here's the link on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efL...c&spfreload=10

His own tip of the hat to the Apollo 11 Astronauts before singing Fly Me To The Moon on his 11-5-1969 CBS TV special is a classic...on one of our all-time favorite DVD's!!!
    Ron

Thanks, Ron. The audio is nice but the video, except for the last 5 seconds or so, isn’t the greatest.
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.
    Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. ~ Eilie Wiesel

3. There is a wonderful picture of Dad and the astronauts in my book. He was very proud of it. He gave it to each of us in a goldtone frame.

4. Quote Originally Posted by RonnieC View Post
    […] Fly Me To The Moon on his 11-5-1969 CBS TV special is a classic...on one of our all-time favorite DVD's!!!
    —> Sinatra Featuring Don Costa And His Orchestra (1969) DVD/VHS

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    There is a wonderful picture of Dad and the astronauts in my book. He was very proud of it. He gave it to each of us in a goldtone frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Frank Sinatra: An American Legend" by Nancy Sinatra
    AUGUST 16, 1969: At Houston's Astrodome, Frank performed in an all-star tribute to the triumphant Apollo 11 astronauts shortly after they returned from their lunar landing.

Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins liked "Fly Me to the Moon" so much, it was played during their expedition via Mission Control. One of the great thrills of our lives was hearing Pop singing to us from outer space.
    Andrew

6. Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    There is a wonderful picture of Dad and the astronauts in my book. He was very proud of it. He gave it to each of us in a goldtone frame.
    AUGUST 16, 1969: At Houston's Astrodome, Frank performed in an all-star tribute to the triumphant Apollo 11 astronauts shortly after they returned from their lunar landing. Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins liked "Fly Me to the Moon" so much, it was played during their expedition via Mission Control. One of the great thrills of our lives was hearing Pop singing to us from outer space.

Frank and the men he called "True American Heroes"—The crew of Apollo 11:
    Edwin Aldrin, Neil Armstrong, and Michael Collins

Bob.

[ Overlapped with Andrew once again. ]
    Last edited by Bob in Boston; 07-20-2019 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Larger photo image.

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    Thanks, Ron. The audio is nice but the video, except for the last 5 seconds or so, isn’t the greatest.
    Here's additional FS footage...

Source: YouTube

Related thread: "Fly Me To The Moon": Frankie & Quincy Jones at NASA's 50th Anniversary Gala
    Andrew

8. Amazing video clips! What an honor for Frank - and for the astronauts!
    Kate

"Frank is just like you. Just like me. Only bigger."

9. Embedding the video referenced by RonnieC in the top post:

Frank Sinatra sings 'Fly Me to the Moon' at tribute to Apollo 11 astronauts

Source: YouTube

Bob.