Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFF SHOW #516 - Week of June 21, 2020 [Father's Day - The Celebration Continues!)

1. NFF SHOW #516 - Week of June 21, 2020 [Father's Day - The Celebration Continues!)

Nancy for Frank
    Starring Nancy Sinatra
    Week of June 21, 2020
    Show 516

HAPPY REAL FATHER'S DAY!

ALBUM SPOTLIGHT #1: Moonlight Sinatra (Reprise - Mono Vinyl LP)
    ALBUM SPOTLIGHT #2: Movin' with Nancy (Reprise)

SPECIAL GUEST: Amanda Erlinger

1. Opening: Without A Song (FS – Reprise)

2. It Started All Over Again (FS - Reprise)
    3. Don’t Blame Me (FS - Radio)
    4. If You Never Come To Me (FS - Reprise)
    5. Don’t Ever Go Away (FS - Reprise)

6. What Is This Thing Called Love (FS - Capitol)
    7. Here’s That Rainy Day (FS - Capitol)
    8. I Heard You Cried Last Night (FS - Radio)
    9. I’m Sorry I Made You Cry (FS - Columbia)

10. On The Sunny Side Of The Street (FS - Radio)
    11. On The Boardwalk In Atlantic City (FS - Radio)
    12. On The Atchison, Topeka & The Santa Fe (FS - Radio)
    13. On A Slow Boat To China (FS - Radio)
    14. On The Island Of Stromboli (FS - Columbia)
    15. On The Road To Mandalay (FS - Capitol)
    16. On The Sunny Side Of The Street (FS - Capitol)

Album Spotlight #1: Moonlight Sinatra (Reprise, 1966 - MONO Vinyl LP)
    Arranged & Conducted By Nelson Riddle

17. Moonlight Becomes You
    18. Moon Song
    19. Moonlight Serenade
    20. Reaching For The Moon
    21. I Wished On The Moon

22. Oh, You Crazy Moon
    23. The Moon Got In My Eyes
    24. Moonlight Mood
    25. Moon Love
    26. The Moon Was Yellow

27. To Love A Child (FS - Reprise)
    28. Isn’t She Lovely (FS - Reprise)
    29. Brahms’ Lullabye (FS - Radio)
    30. Pocketful Of Miracles (FS - Reprise)
    31. Old Mac Donald (FS - Capitol)
    32. High Hopes (FS - Capitol)

Album Spotlight #2: Movin’ With Nancy (Reprise, 1967)
    Featuring Lee Hazlewood, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin & Sammy Davis, Jr.

Arranged & Conducted by Billy Strange

With Special Guest Amanda Erlinger

33. I Gotta Get Out Of This Town
    34. Who Will Buy
    35. Wait Till You See Him
    36. Younger Than Springtime (Frank Sinatra)
    37. Things (Nancy & Dean Martin)
    38. Some Velvet Morning (Nancy & Lee Hazlewood)

39. See The Little Children
    40. Up, Up And Away
    41. Friday's Child
    42. Jackson (Nancy & Lee Hazlewood)
    43. This Town
    44. What'd I Say

45. Heroes (David Bowie) Dedicated to Hugh Lambert
    46. Thanks For The Memory (FS - Reprise)

47. Closing: Put Your Dreams Away (FS – Capitol)
    Last edited by Chuck Granata; 08-09-2020 at 10:40 AM.
    BONX!

2. Thanks, Chuckie. Happy fathers day.

Happy Father’s Day, Chuck. I’m so happy we get to hear Movin’ With Nancy today.
    I believe America is so much better than this. ~ President Joe Biden

4. Happy Dad’s Day, Chuck. Not to put you on the spot, but the following quote from last year just came up elsewhere, and I’m wondering if Sony might have a gift for us sometime soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Granata View Post
    I can't go into detail just yet, but you will see a physical Sinatra product from the Columbia Records era in the new year. You can trust that it will be interesting, noteworthy and a delight for all fans of the music! Just a little something to look forward to...

Chuck
    Bob.

5. As usual the line-up looks delightful.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    Happy Dad’s Day, Chuck. Not to put you on the spot, but the following quote from last year just came up elsewhere, and I’m wondering if Sony might have a gift for us sometime soon? Bob.
    Well, this I CAN tell you...

Yes, we have something - a release we feel is VERY special - coming soon. It will be an all-analog vinyl LP release, and an SACD issue. And, no Sinatra lover will be disappointed with the quantity or quality of truly rare "bonus" material - or the special, top-flight packaging - that this project will bring them. Trust me! Have I ever disappointed you guys and gals? LOL

This release was originally planned for April. Unfortunately, the pandemic halted the physical production halfway through its completion. As the production plants begin getting back to manufacturing over the next several weeks we'll get a better idea of how quickly they can complete the creation of our product. We were literally in line for pressing the week the plant shut down, so all of us on the team are hoping that means we're among the first to be done when they ramp up their operation.

I can't divulge what the project is until Sony and our partner (a highly respected and ultra-high quality audiophile label who I'm proud to say I personally sought out and chose because of their amazing attention to sonic and aesthetic details) has the assurance that the product is finished and meets our standards. Sorry 'bout that - I promise it's something you'll be thrilled with, will enjoy tremendously from a sonic and visual standpoint, and will be happy to have in your collection for years to come.

Happy Dad's Day to all my fellow fathers!
    Last edited by Chuck Granata; 06-21-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    BONX!

7. Many thanks for that explanation, Chuck!

Bob.

8. Nancy and I are both thrilled that her daughter, Amanda Erlinger, is helping us celebrate both the "real" Father's Day AND Nancy's recent birthday (shhhhhh...did you know she doesn't like birthdays? LOL) Seriously, having Amanda help host the segment featuring Nancy's iconic Movin' with Nancy album is a very special treat! Her fascinating recollections of her family watching this special - and commentary about the music - is revealing and fun. I think y'all will enjoy it! Thanks, Mandy - you and AJ are THE BEST, and I love you girls!
    BONX!

9. Bob, I KNOW you'll be delighted! We have lavished extraordinary time, care and attention on this LP/SACD. I supervised every step of the process, from transfers through both the analog LP and digital SACD mastering (including the cutting of the master lacquer with one of the finest experts in the LP mastering field) as well as the preparation of the deluxe booklet. We've gone through three iterations of test pressings to ensure that this is the best sounding album it can possibly be. Sorry to 'whet your appetite,' but our team is REALLY proud of this one!
    BONX!

10. Can’t wait, Chuck!

Bob.

11. Okay, one more note about today's how and then I P-R-O-M-I-S-E to sign off and stop bloviating!

The original MONO vinyl LP of Moonlight Sinatra we're playing today may be the very best Reprise vinyl pressing of ANY of their albums - that I've ever heard. It seems as though our SFF members really appreciate hearing these relics, which aren't available on CD and are truly as rare as hen's teeth on the vintage LP market. Up until 1968, Reprise was actually making SEPARATE (read: unique) mono and stereo mixes, with separate microphoning for each format. While the stereo mixes offer a wider 'view' of the orchestra, the mono mixes required the engineers to take more time to set up and microphone. Putting all of the instruments into a single, center-focused channel (mono) was a real art; often, mono mixes are far superior to early stereo mixes because it took skill and expertise to make all of the color, texture and detail of each instrument sound balanced, natural and in good aural 'perspective.' While the mono versions of these albums lack the stereo width, they exhibit a focused, natural sound that is prized by audiophiles. This album features some of Frank's most miraculous and heartfelt performances; the mono mix preserves them beautifully. I hope you agree!
    BONX!

Thank you Nancy & thank you Chuck! Looks like another splendid playlist!
    Happy Father’s Day to all you Daddy’s, Dad’s, Papa’s and other sweet variations of Dada ♥️ Hope you are enjoying your day! Looking forward to hearing from Amanda today. Great news about the new Sinatra vinyl coming up. Just received my new Nice & Easy CD. What a joy to have this one to play again♥️ The old one got legs!
    Tricia

...And crown thy good with brotherhood

Tina Sinatra’s marvelously crafted Father’s Day special is gorgeous. It’s highlighting the essential “Everything Happens to Me” comp. It’s among the best comps out there... and the story behind it is terrific.

Nancy, please thank Tina for this.

14. Just need to know when we can pre-order.

My favorite song.

Happy Father's Day to all of the Dad's out there! This is a great "Part II" to last week's NFF. Songs 27-32 are very reminiscent of the program that I put together and aired back in December...such great "Dad songs"!

I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. I'm blessed to have some close family over today to BBQ and relax with. Of course this week's NFF is playing in the background...Frank is a wonderful contributor to the "soundtrack of out lives." Definitely looking forward to what Chuck is teasing as a future Sinatra release..

Cheers to all! Stay safe and healthy!

16. 32. High Hopes (FS - Capitol)
    I hope everyone caught that snippet of “session chatter” at the beginning.

Bob.

17. I’m really enjoying the conversation with Mandy.

For further reference re: Movin’ with Nancy:

Nancy Sinatra Albums: —> Movin' With Nancy - The Soundtrack From Her Television Special! 1967
    Nancy Sinatra Songography: —> Movin' With Nancy - The Soundtrack
    TV Special thread: —> MOVIN' WITH NANCY
    Album thread: —> MOVIN' WITH NANCY (1967)
    Frank Sinatra thread: —> Younger Than Springtime
    Nancy’s Blog: —> Perfect Little Stories: “Movin’ With Nancy’s” 50th Anniversary

Bob.

18. we need more of "Mandy".

My favorite song.

19. Quote Originally Posted by Dougjr View Post
    Tina Sinatra’s marvelously crafted Father’s Day special is gorgeous. It’s highlighting the essential “Everything Happens to Me” comp. It’s among the best comps out there... and the story behind it is terrific.
    “Father’s Day with Tina Sinatra” is available On Demand in the SiriusXM app (hopefully for at least this coming week).

See also the album thread: —> EVERYTHING HAPPENS TO ME - 1996

Bob.

P.S. The special first aired on the same date in 2009.

See: —> Playing Favorites - Show #68
    Last edited by Bob in Boston; 06-22-2020 at 01:48 AM. Reason: P.S.

Listening to Tina right now!
    When You're Here, It's Family
    www.reverbnation.com/Soundslikefrank/songs