Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Perry Como

Thanks Todd. A really neat cover IMO. I was reviewing this thread when your most recent post showed up coincidentally enough. RCA covers from the 50s and 60s are among my favorites often providing definitive photographic portraits of the artist/subject.

My thanks to you, Doug and Nick for your dedication and commentary re Mr. Como.

I love Perry Como. During the past year GETTV has been airing a couple of his tv programs from time to time. Would that they would do more. But as much as I like and respect Mr. Como I've never placed his artistry on the same level as say Sinatra or Tony Bennett. Consequently I only own one Como cd which I never play. Until now that is. Thanks to this thread I just bought a Como set.

Keep this discussion going. I am learning all the time.

Larry

The "Perry Como In Nashville" is not an album from the 70's. It was a UK re-issue of the 1965 Como album "The Scene Changes". After an almost 2 year hiatus since his last album "The Songs I Love" in 1963 Como decided to try a Country album.

Steve Sholes and Chet Atkins convinced Mr. C to go to RCA Nashville Studio A....the home of Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves, Floyd Cramer and Anita Kerr...Como's first album away from NYC...hence the title "The Scene Changes". Como's album didn't make a lot of noise. It was quiet and dignified; like the man himself, but it had another important virtue...Authenticity.

3. Broadway World —> PERRY COMO CLASSICS: TILL THE END OF TIME Will Premiere on PBS June 2

PBS Perry Como 'Till the End of Time (My Music) teaser

Source: YouTube

Bob.

Perry Como is one of the biggest reasons I sing today. Listening to his works and singing along to them, really strengthened me as a baritone, to the point it gave me a bit more confidence in a voice I hated for so long. Through Como, I branched out into the world of crooning and while now I'd probably say I'm more of a folk singer, I owe a lot of my chops to Mr. Como.

PERRY COMO

Siriusly Sinatra keeps playing some beautiful Perry Como recordings.

Twice this day (including once this past hour) Siriusly Sinatra has played some achingly beautiful songs by Perry Como. My wife happened by when I was listening to a three-song medley – the first and last songs had a small orchestra (arranged I'm thinking by Gordon Jenkins). I was listening closely to Perry and solo guitar accompaniment on the middle song of the medley when my Irene walked in.

“I loved him,” she said simply of Perry. “Who is the guitarist, do you know?” she asked. “I'm certain it's Tony Motolla.” I said. Knowing the gorgeous tone and particular plectrum stylings of Tony from his albums in the 60s. “He accompanied Sinatra beautifully in the 80s,” I said.

Just checked Wikipedia and sure enough it says Tony, who left us in 2004 at age 86 “. . . worked often on television, appearing as a regular on shows hosted by vocalist Perry Como and comedian Sid Caesar and In 1980, Mottola began performing with Frank Sinatra, often in duets, appearing at Carnegie Hall and the White House.[1][2] He retired from the music business in 1988 but kept playing at home almost every day.[2]

In the past hour Sirius Radio played Perry & Tony performing WHAT'S NEW. The deceptively simple, artless performance confirms something Canadian songwriter Gene Lees said about the singer (in liner notes for a 1968 album).

Despite his immense popularity, Como is rarely given credit for what, once you stop and think of it, he so clearly is: one of the great singers and one of the great artists of our time.

Perhaps the reason people rarely talk about his formidable attributes as a singer is that he makes so little fuss about them. That celebrated ease of his has been too little understood. Ease in any art is the result of mastery over the details of the craft. You get them together to the point where you can forget about how you do things and concentrate on what you are doing. Como got them together so completely that the muscles don't even show. It seems effortless, but a good deal of effort has gone into making it seem so. Como is known to be meticulous about rehearsal of the material for an album. He tries things out in different keys, gives the song thought, makes suggestions, tries it again, and again, until he is satisfied. The hidden work makes him look like Mr. Casual, and too many people are taken in by it—but happily so.

–Gene Lees, sleeve note, Look To Your Heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elh9kCA9KN0

6. I love the insights you share, Mark. I first disovered Perry Como when they used his "Accentuate the Positive" in the movie Blast from the Past. Every since then, I've been a big fan! I recently discovered his beautiful "And I Love You So" and melt every time I hear it. What talent!
    Kate

"Frank is just like you. Just like me. Only bigger."

Yes! "And I Love You So" -- just played for my Irene ("now dry the dishes!") and she loved it (so). Thanks, Kate. Love your tag line, that "Frank is just like you. Just like me. Only bigger." (Who coined that one? Maybe you!)

8. My personal favorite of Perry's is "And All At Once You Love Her" and I try to program it often.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    My personal favorite of Perry's is "And All At Once You Love Her" and I try to program it often.
    I only had one recording of that song, an instrumental version by Stan Kenton. I always liked the melody but didn't realise it had a lyric. Thanks, Nancy!

I will have to add that one, I don't have it.
    My favourite song, apart from all those on the compilation album "The Shadow of Your Smile" on which the guitar work might be Tommy Motola, has always been a real oldie " A Dreamers Holiday". I first heard Alan Dell play it on his Sunday afternoon BBC. For many years I would sing it to my baby grandchildren as I walked up and down with them in my arms getting them to sleep and it worked like a charm.
    Today I found this cute but imperfect video on YouTube, what would we do without it?

https://youtu.be/BaKLDL7wsek

Chesterfield Supper Club: The Perry Como Show. December 18, 1949.
    With Mitchell Ayres' Orchestra and the Fontane Sisters.
    Bill
    I'ts VERY easy being green...coz I am

11. Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    My personal favorite of Perry's is "And All At Once You Love Her" and I try to program it often.
    All At Once You Love Her (From 'Pipe Dream')

Bob.

My favorite Como of the moment.

Rick
    The enemy of truth is distortion.

ONCE UPON A TIME

Oh what lovely songs! Thanks so much for sharing (and providing the right links). You're wonderful!

I was listening a moment ago to another song by Perry on Youtube. And the very next offering (random?) was this one: ONCE UPON A TIME. Do you know I'd never heard Perry's recording of this. It moved me to tears. Can't say why (can't find the words).

I was poised to leave a “comment” below the video. Then I read the leading comment this day by . . .

Darrell Shuck (2 years ago)

'Why do I keep playing this song? It makes me cry every time. It's been four and half years since she went to a better place. I keep seeing her as she was . A beautiful lady inside and out. How I miss her!'

[My reply]

Reading your words Darrell – and weeping with empathy. Tears of joy. (The best kind, right?) Thank you for eliciting so much emotion – in so few words.

My own Dad outlived my Mom by four years. They were so musical, and when she died he couldn't even LOOK-at, let alone play, the Steinway in his living room (on which he'd written hundreds of tunes).

After a late-in-life stroke, reduced him to six word sentences, I was visiting the family home one night when Dad sat down at the piano for the first time in four years and . . . I'd like to say – then-and-there, he began to play something beautiful. He did not. He couldn't play a single one of the songs he had written -- despite my prompting him, whistling and humming his own tunes.

But then . . . Dad began to play EMBRACEABLE YOU. I always knew that he and Mom loved that song -- which reached the radio during the days they were courting. But I never realized until that moment just how 'organically perfect' the notes of that Gershwin tune were to my own father's psyche. He played it a second time -- slowly, tentatively, but without a mistake. I wept tears of joy – sort of like now reading your words Darrell. Thank you so much for sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Q7R11f4Bg

EMBRACEABLE YOU

Just Googled "Perry Como Embraceable You." No such thing. Perry wouldn't mind my sharing the best ever version. As I said in my "Dear Mr. Sinatra" letter of "December 17, 1992" (how's that for name dropping?)

" . . . the tape I prepared for my parents I labelled "Pure Gershwin (almost)" and it included . . . your treatment of their "theme" song from their first days together, 'Embraceable You.' Like me they say that if there is a better version of that, we'd love to hear it!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VtTZc_kYmI

Vincenzo is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    He had a sudden resurgence in the charts over here in the early 70's. Obviously many hits in the 50's, including 2 UK no.1's. Then a lull. Then 3 hugely successful hits in 1971 (It's Impossible - 23 weeks in the chart) and 1973 (And I Love You So - 31 chart weeks - and For The Good Times - 27 chart weeks). All this at a time when Bowie and Bolan etc were topping the charts!

Amazing singer.

16. I love hearing about the sweet moments between you and Irene Hope you'll keep sharing with us!

You know, I'm certain Nancy coined my signature tag line. And I've kept it that way for most of my tenure here, because it's just so true!
    Kate

17. Quote Originally Posted by SinatraIsLove View Post
    You know, I'm certain Nancy coined my signature tag line. And I've kept it that way for most of my tenure here, because it's just so true!

Kate

The quote is attributed to George Schlatter in Bill Zehme's book The Way You Wear Your Hat (page 240 in the hardcover edition).

"To be like Frank Sinatra," his friend George Schlatter advised, "you've got to be able to give a punch and take a punch. You've got to have a stomach like a still. You've got to be early for everything except bed. Frank is just like you. Just like me. Only bigger."
    Last edited by AndrewT; 02-11-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    Andrew

NO OTHER LOVE (No other version compares to Perry's)

Richard Carpenter on his "Playing Favorites" show (right this minute) says Perry Como's magnificent reading of Richard Rodgers' NO OTHER LOVE was arranged by Mitchell Ayers (sp?) and the song, is from an obscure Rodgers & Hammerstein musical, "Me & Juliet." Mr. Carpenter, whose musical knowledge is vast and is shared in a warm voice that's like hearing a brother, reminds us that the music originated "a few years earlier in Rodgers' sterling music for the documentary VICTORY AT SEA." Richard said this after sharing the informed opinion that Perry, beginning in the late 40s was "saddled with what really, kind of was . . . light material" that didn't do anything for Perry's "legacy."

----

I tell you . . . Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio radio -- I could never keep up with all the musical gems it provides us each day. God willing I'll be listening, if possible, on my deathbed, telling some beautiful young nurse, "You really should have this, if you want an education in good music!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4KqyA9ax0

Perry Como personal anecdotes

Among the "comments" below that NO OTHER LOVE video at YouTube was this one. I know the Family here would enjoy reading this!

mountainmanws
    4 months ago (edited)
    My Perry Como Story: During the mid-1980s, I once worked for a microphone design company as a designer. My new microphone was being reviewed for advertisement by an advertising firm in the Mid-West. During the conversation, the question was asked: "Who is your favorite recording artist or artists?" Well, some of the engineers and advertising people said the current pop groups. Foreigner, Michael Jackson, Madonna,... come to mind. It came to me to give my two-cents worth. "Honestly," I said, "My favorite singer of all time and my favorite song is Perry Como singing No Other Love. I've been known to pull my car over to the curb listening to this great tune on the radio." I noticed that a few people from the advertising firm were looking toward a young lady from the firm when she replied: "I'll be certain to let granddad know this." Yep, Mr. Como's granddaughter.

Richard Rodgers was often critical of many popular singers but was always praised Perry. Mel Torme recalled that Rodgers was very hard on him during the filming of "Words And Music" about the way he sang "Blue Moon" but had no complaints where Como's singing was concerned. Rodgers loved Como's rendition of "Mountain Greenery". Rodgers felt that "Perry doesn't try to prove anything. He just sings."