Page 113 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113
Results 2,241 to 2,245 of 2245

Thread: Tony Bennett

When the angels ask me to recall . . . the thrill of them all . . .

A Hollywood film director Vic Schertzinger wrote two good melodies -- and got the greatest non-theatrical lyricist of them all to write some words. One song was "Tangerine." The other was this timeless classic, I REMEMBER YOU.

Frank Sinatra never got around to recording what many of us consider Johnny Mercer's best song. But when you hear Tony's `take' on this one, (which other song-writers have nominated as the best, popular song lyric ever written) especially as it's heard here, with Johnny Mandel's evocative, `celestial' string arrangement - it's hard to imagine a better recording of the song Johnny Mercer himself considered his personal favorite lyrical `child.'

Yes, five minutes of perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yslez7Ds0xM

p.s. The conductor in the green velvet shirt is Johnny Mandel, still with us in his 94th year.

p.p.s. Music means so much to us -- especially when we're in the September of our years. My musical father used to say "It's the last thing to go" -- our musical memories. Friends of his who were pianists losing all their other memories, could still relate, through the haze, to their musical skills. This prompted by a comment on the above posting at Youtube. Who can't relate to this?

"Our family will soon celebrate the life of our husband/father/grandfather/brother. We’re Remembering His Life with Music. This rendition of "I Remember You” by Tony Bennett will be played. My husband had Parkinson’s. It increasingly took away his memory. During his last year of life, he often said he didn’t want to wake in the morning and not know who I was. So, every night when he listened to music before bed, we’d hold hands while this music played. He never forgot who I was."
    Last edited by Mark Blackburn; 01-11-2019 at 03:55 PM.

I quite agree. Great song, arrangement and interpretation!!!
    Rick
    The enemy of truth is distortion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
    The conductor in the green velvet shirt is Johnny Mandel, still with us in his 94th year.
    Johnny Mandel's house was threatened in the terrible Woolsey (Malibu) fire a couple of months ago. I never heard if it turned out okay. Chuck Granata would know as he was out here at the time.
    Pack a small bag....

This track is from Tony's ART OF ROMANCE album. I reviewed it for Amazon.com (13 years ago) and the superlatives I applied to the CD still apply. Every track is gorgeous, including one "All For You" (track 7) that features a melody by Belgian Gypsy guitar giant Django Reinhart ("Nuages") for which Tony wrote the most perfect lyric (60 years later). Nice to see this album remains one of Tony's best-sellers:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Romance-Tony-Bennett/dp/B001L5O1AI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502628306&sr=8-1&keywords=Art+of+Romance+Tony+Bennett+CD#customer Reviews

'Hide-and-Seek' counting to ten -- oh! to play there once again!

Bet you never heard of PLAYGROUND -- the song.

A Bill Evans' tune that Tony Bennett felt deserved a lyric – by his friends, multiple Best Song Academy Award winners Marilyn & Alan Bergman. (Before they were married they wrote “Nice 'N' Easy” for Frank. And in the decades since, Tony has recorded most all of their wonderful songs.)

After studying the obscure melody by his late pianist friend, Tony asked the pair if they could imagine a lyric for “Playground.” Bill Evans' mutual friend, Canadian-born lyricist Gene Lees had earlier composed words for one of Bill's best-known compositions, “Waltz For Debby.” Tony was certain The Bergman's could do the same with this melody.

The tune is a series of steps that wouldn't ordinarily lend itself to accompanying words. But (like the un-stumpable Sammy Cahn) The Bergmans vindicated Tony's trust in their skills. With this result.

Note the counterpoint melody provided by a children's chorus around the 1:30 mark (“I love to play in the playground! . . . Ev'ry time I go, I know that I'll find some friends!”). There's a lovely reprise of these counter melodies and words over words around 2:40.

Really, raise your hand if you ever heard this song before right this minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfpwvqE1Im8
    Last edited by Mark Blackburn; 02-08-2019 at 08:06 AM.