Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SONGS FOR SWINGIN' LOVERS (Capitol) 1956 Riddle

SONGS FOR SWINGIN' LOVERS (Capitol) 1956 Riddle

Capitol CD

Original pressings of 1956 LP & EPs had alternative artwork: for more discussion re original artwork go to:

"Original cover of “Songs for Swinging Lovers”"
    https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/show...689#post132689

arr, cond: Nelson Riddle

1. You Make Me Feel So Young
    2. It Happened In Monterey
    3. You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me
    4. You Brought A New Kind Of Love To Me
    5. Too Marvelous For Words
    6. Old Devil Moon
    7. Pennies From Heaven
    8. Love Is Here to Stay
    9. I've Got You Under My Skin
    10. I Thought About You
    11. We'll Be Together Again
    12. Makin' Whoopee
    13. Swingin' Down The Lane
    14. Anything Goes
    15. How About You?
    Last edited by Ace917; 11-12-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typ

Wink

Since its release in 1956, this album has never been deleted from UK catalogues. No other album can boast this.
    Alan

"How did all these people get in my room?"

One thing I am convinced of. If this was the only album Frank made, he would still be a legend. Sort of like James Dean with only two movies.

This album is just one of a kind. Every song is fantastic. The sound quality is excellent and the songs sounds as fresh as ever. One of the truly great Sinatra and Riddle collaborations. Never get tired of listening to this album.

Dennis

I don't think that I have the gift of prose to adequately describe and do justice to this album. I will say, however, that it is probably the greatest work of Frank and Nelson on a swinging concept album. The choice of songs; the arrangements. It just doesn't get better than this.

So the story goes that they needed another song for this album. Nelson Riddle, on his way to the recording studio, with his wife driving and holding a flashlight, is writing the arrangement for I've Got You Under My Skin.

Isn't that some story?

Dennis

Can you imagine buying an album today with 15 songs of this caliber? You'll never see that again. One of the best bargains around. And besides, you'll never grow tired of hearing these songs.

Japan

The song Memories Of You was also recorded for this Album .However, it has never been included on any Re-Issues
    [Except in Japan]

It still amazes me that the Nelson Riddle arranged version of "Memories of You" (recorded at one of the sessions for this album) took about 15 years to be released, and not commonly available around the world until the 3CD "The Capitol Years" set. It is one of Frank's finest songs of his whole career. The 1961 Stordahl version is nice, but this.... While I agree it ended up not being the best "fit" for the album (even if it was originally recorded for it), it's hard to believe that this song couldn't be put out at least on a single in 1956. I know Frank's Capitol singles were usually of more contemporary songs of the time, but this should have been one of the exceptions.

Thumbs up Favourite Tracks

I've Got You Under My Skin, It Happened In Monterey & Pennies From Heaven
    sooner or later we all make the little flowers grow

Bumping up in honor of the late great trombonist Milt Bernhart, whose brilliant solo on "I've Got You Under My Skin" may be the most famous trombone solo on record.

Bernhart recorded with many of the great bandleaders and vocalists, most notably with Stan Kenton.

He will be missed.

Cool swingin lovers

this is the album i grew up on, so it will always be one of my favs. I guess i can say that you can't miss when you start out discovering Sinatra with a song like "I've Got You Under My Skin".

Vinny b.

Cool swingin lovers 2

one memory from HS. Had an english class taught by a nun who once referred to the song "anything goes" during a most boring class on chaucer...she couldnt remember all the words so when she began to stumble i finished it up for her. She was so impressed that i knew the song and sang it that she ended up liking me and i had a much easier time in that class than i ever would have thought possible. Thanks Frank.

vinny b.

REDISCOVERING A MASTERPIECE

I just had to play this album again in memory of Milt Bernhart, just as I have revisited the Billy May collaborations in the last few days. Anything I could say about this magnificent album would be overstating the obvious. I would imagine that virtually every member of The Sinatra Family Forum has this title in their collection. If not, what are they waiting for? The comments on this thread should tell them it is a genuine cornerstone in the Frank Sinatra catalogue. I own both vintage Capitol vinyl and the late 80s Capitol CD, and play the heck out of them both. They have their own virtues, and nothing that merits serious complaint. The emotional impact is there, either way.

I am also thankful that I purchased the British Capitol album, "The Rare Sinatra," when it was first issued circa 1978-79. The album contains the track, "Memories of You," which has stirred so many comments on this thread. Again, there is nothing more profound that I could say, that hasn't already been commented upon here.

Best regards,

Russell Kishi
    Glendale, California

The following are two short pieces that the late Milt Bernhart wrote about his trombone solo on "I've Got You Under My Skin" A few years ago I sent him an e-mail and asked if it was OK to send the articles to a friend. He replied as follows:

"By all means do share the thing with whomever you please. Among other reasons, getting it spread around is my main objective. I would not mind, at this point in life, being known as a writer. "

The box

This is transcript of personal reminiscences from Milt Bernhart, one of jazz's finest trombonists

I remember recording "I've Got You Under My Skin" with Sinatra. Was it really 22 takes? Yipes! I might have been just plain terrible on the first 21. I don't think so but can't swear to it. There weren't many microphones, One was raised very high for the brass And I stood up and pointed my horn at it to play the solo. Engineer Val Valatin said they weren't getting enough; Could I stand on something to get closer? I shouldn't have been surprised if they put me on a tight rope. I felt like a pawn on a chessboard. What should I stand on? Val said how about a box. There were crates in the hall. Could someone go get one. Who? Guess who? A guy named Sinatra. The full (as usual) house came down on this one. Frank went out and came back with a tiny box. I foresaw a balancing act as well as a trombone-playing act. But I kept my mouth shut. I had a few funny lines in mind, but I sensed that some guy in the band doing "shtick" on a Sinatra record date would be a career-ending mistake. Frank placed the box at my feet and looked up at me for approval. I was no fool. I approved. I did manage a chuckle wondering how the concertmaster, Felix Slatkin, would have looked on that box. I stood on the box when the solo came up. A couple of times I almost fell off the damn thing. But the end finally came and I've only been that relieved on hearing the news that we dropped the A-bomb and the war was over. I had lived to see another sunrise. I left some of my life fluid on those never-heard tracks.

A follow up by Milt

You honor me by including my recollections of standing on a box -- placed there by Frank Sinatra. I've often wondered what became of that box. Athletes are famous for their superstitions, I'm sure you know. Like -- not changing one's socks worn on a day when you've hit three home runs. Several famous sluggers were traded because they'd been wearing the same socks for 8 months. That sort of claptrap. Allthesame, I'll admit guilt -- had I taken that box with me when I left the studio that night, I just may have insisted on standing on it from that point on -- on all record dates, at the Hollywood Bowl, even at home. Even while making love to my wife -- who can say? I don't think any of you are aware, but that year I won the Field and Stream Jazz Poll for Best Trombone Solo While Standing On A Box. Did I let a small fortune get away from me? Would that box have become an object of historic (not to mention artistic) significance by this time? Or have the passing years played havoc with my sanity? The answer to all the preceeding questions - yes, yes, YES. But alas, that box is probably in it's 25th recycling. I wouldn't mind that. God knows I need it. But instead, here I stand. Not a box in sight. Is this how it ends. Without a box? I have this recurring dream - I'm standing on that box playing the solo on "I've Got You Under My" - this is the 18th "take". It's one minute to the end of the date. We have to get it on this take or we'll go overtime and it will cost Capitol Records all kinds of money (which, by-the-way, they've got). I take a deep breath and lose my balance. My left foot is dangling in space. My knees are buckling. The box now feels like a merry-go-round under me. My head is splitting. I'm in total panic - but still playing. "Never stop playing", that's what my teacher taught me. "You maybe dying but don't stop playing." Just as I finish the solo, I fall off the box. I know my career is over - I I've just played Kid Ory's trombone solo on Dippermouth Blues - note for note. I know it's over for me. But just before I awake, the entire band and Sinatra himself turn to me lying on the floor and applaud me for what I just did. They loved it. Go figure. And from the booth, the voice of the producer says "Milt that was wonderful. Can you do just one more time?" At that point I open my eyes and it was just a dream. Except for he part about the box

THANKS, FORREST

Your wonderful anecdotes from Milt Bernhart provide the back story on this landmark album. Thanks for the insights. I'm sure Milt is stil getting a good chuckle, wherever he is today.

Best regards,

Russell Kishi
    Glendale, Caiifornia

That was great! - thanks for posting that Forrest. One thing though, Milt's recollection of the engineer on the session is incorrect - this album was recorded by John Palladino .

Milt Bernhart (1926-2004) played as a trombonist on all selections on this album, including of course his immortal solo on "Skin".

I've posted a detailed tribute to this extraordinary musician (written by me) at the Milt Bernhart Memorial thread, to be found here:

https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/show...792#post180792

There you will also find a chronological list of all Sinatra recording sessions on which Bernhart was a member of the trombone section.

Bernhard.

Swingin' Lovers Trivia

Who are those two young people in the photogaph on the cover of "Sings for Swingin' Lovers?"

How did they get the assignment? Were they hired for the job or were they Capitol employees who happened to be around? Were there auditions? Did they know each other?

Of course, at the time, I don't think anyone figured that the album would be continuously in print for the next 48 years and still be going strong.

This couple has been seen and continues to be seen daily by a total of hundreds of millions of people world wide. Where are the owners of those world famous faces now?

Ed S.

Thumbs up Thanks Forrest & Bernhard

for the insights into Milt Bernhart, "I've Got You Under My Skin" from Swingin' Lovers is the song most cited in polls as fans favourite single piece, this is down in no small part to Milt's explosive thundering trombone break, masterful.
    sooner or later we all make the little flowers grow

This is my FAVORITE swing album....Every track is wonderful...A classic Sinatra album that must be part of everyone's collection...I love it....Amy
    Amy