Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: A JOLLY CHRISTMAS FROM FRANK SINATRA (Capitol) 1957 Jenkins, Riddle

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    Capitol's mid-1970s (circa 1976) "SM" series reissues, such as The Sinatra Christmas Album (SM-894), feature the yellow label with orange lettering.

Record club SM pressings (which are pretty common) had the orange-ish (red?) label, with the slightly altered catalog number, SM-500894:

Surely this must be the best quality vocal Christmas Album of all time
    Jeffrey

3. Shameful...

I'm almost ashamed to admit this; after all, I've been a Sinatra fan since I was a teenager... but I have never heard this album all the way through! Only highlights here and there.

I bought a grey label copy on vinyl shortly after Christmas last year, but saved it until now.

What a charming, lovely album from Frank and Gordon. Can't believe I never heard it from beginning to end. That just goes to show the man recorded so much there's always something to discover.

Merry Christmas Francis Albert... and happy birthday, too.

(I have the Sinatra family Christmas album to play next, also purchased last year after the holiday).
    "...and stars fractured 'bama last night."

4. A nicely written review article may be found here:

A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra | The Cinch Review
    Posted on December 13th, 2012 by Sean Curnyn

Bob in Boston

Robert--much thanks for that review link. Whoever he is, he's excellent: knowledgeable, thoughtful, objective, respectful. I'm very impressed. And, since the "purpose" of a critic/reviewer is also to make the reader want to read more of a writer's work, his piece makes me want to read much more!

Hope you and your Family are enjoying this Chanukah-Christmas season! With Kerry moving to the State Dept., I hope Deval makes the right choice to take his seat in the Senate. Looks like the Pats can't be stopped (famous last words!). Keep those great posts coming!
    Best,
    Stanley
    Stanley

I just played "The Sinatra Christmas Album" arranged by Jenkins and it was super magical and timeless and a thing of beauty. It will be a x-mas tradition from here to eternity.
    Pedro

Been playing this one today for sure. The Christmas Waltz is the best one of the album by far imo, but the whole album is great. Merry Christmas, Everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    A nicely written review article may be found here:

A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra | The Cinch Review
    Posted on December 13th, 2012 by Sean Curnyn

Bob in Boston
    That was a good article! There is no question that Frank Sinatra was at a vocal and performance peak in and around 1957! There were other great albums which followed after the 1950s and some are my favourites! It was always the quality of the choice of material and the orchestration not to mention the superb delivery which consistently set the benchmark rarely met by other performers!
    Jeffrey

[-digital booklet]

I downloaded the 50th Anniversary edition this morning from Amazon MP3. Despite the fact that the title says "A Jolly Christmas From Frank Sinatra [+digital booklet]", no digital booklet downloaded or was in my cloud thingy. When I chatted with amazon help, they said the listing was incorrect and there was no booklet.

Too bad! I was hoping to see the digital booklet with the pictures, song credits, maybe liner notes especially since its the 50th anniversary edition. Caveat emptor!
    Jacob

10. A great album of Christmas music, so much that I made a copy an sent it to a wonderful friend the other day to enjoy and help to keep the flame going.....

I think this would have been a nicer way to keep the flame going, don't you?

Pack a small bag....

12. Quote Originally Posted by Ace917 View Post
    I think this would have been a nicer way to keep the flame going, don't you?

Absolutely! Thanks, Ace.

13. I'm a little perplexed Ace, straight talk would help here. Is it all about sales??????

Quote Originally Posted by SecretLove View Post
    I'm a little perplexed Ace, straight talk would help here. Is it all about sales??????
    That's putting it lightly. It's about taking someone else's efforts and giving them away. It's why music today is in the toilet... illegal downloads, uncontrolled sharing, no pay for the engineers, the arrangers, the distributors, and the performers. Thanks for asking, seriously.
    Pack a small bag....

15. That might be the case but I've paid a small fortune in legal Sinatra material and the copy on "A Jolly Christmas" was for a person who loves Sinatra and is on S.S. and the increases in S.S. over the last few years have been ridiculously low. Just helping to keep that flame going and I would hope that all the talent involved in this album have long ago[1957] enjoyed their financial rewards.
    P.S. Ace the copy was made at my request by a younger family member who plays with the computer like a toy. My relationship with the computer is limited, it's hard enough to keep up with all the wizards on this website, but I've been a big,no a giant Sinatra fan for years and I don't think a wrong was committed.

Copying material without permission is wrong, period. There is no excuse. Even with Civil War material I have to check and re-check that the stuff I put on the thread is free of copyright or that I have permission to use it here, by descendants of the authors and property holders of the material. No easy task.

Support the FAS Times Square Statue
    Sleep warm all!!!!!

17. wow, keep playing your war games and that's enough said and have a nice day General.

Perhaps we can return to the music.

This is one of my favorite Christmas LPs/CDs.

I recently traded my Norberg remastered copy for a Walsh remaster, and it sounds so much better.

I've been looking for a nice Capitol grey label copy, but haven't found one yet.
    Dustin

Thank you, Dustin.... was waiting for someone to do that.

This album is really very good. I keep thinking of "Jingle Bells" like I do "Ebb Tide" from the "... Only the Lonely" album; it's a song which is somehow different from the rest, and not just because of the rhythm, and yet one which belongs. I would have liked to hear Frank do "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" in a swinging version as he did in the Christmas special with Bing, but I guess it would have changed the mood too much. "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" is my favorite.

I like thinking of the fact that these songs were recorded in the height of, or late, Summer...!

Support the FAS Times Square Statue
    Sleep warm all!!!!!

Yes, Jake. Hard to believe that it was recorded in July in LA and that they could create such a mood inside that studio that would come across to the listener. True musicianship.
    Dustin