Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I REMEMBER TOMMY (Reprise) 1961 

I REMEMBER TOMMY (Reprise) 1961

• I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
    • Imagination
    • There Are Such Things
    • East Of The Sun (And West Of The Moon)
    • Daybreak
    • Without a Song
    • I'll Be Seeing You
    • Take Me
    • It's Always You
    • Polka Dots and Moonbeams
    • It Started All Over Again
    • The One I Love (Belongs to Somebody Else)
    • In the Blue of Evening*
    • Reprise: I'm Getting Sentimental Over You

all tracks arranged and conducted by Sy Oliver

In The Blue Of The Evening is a bonus track available only on the 1990's re-issued Warners/Reprise CD release.

LP re-issued on CD in original 13 track version through Universal Music Group in 2010.

I Remember Tommy...

Pedro

FRANK'S REPRISE JUKEBOX CONVERSION

https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8119

I REMEMBER TOMMY

0119 I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
    0120 Imagination
    0201 There Are Such Things
    0204 East Of The Sun (And West Of The Moon)
    0124 Daybreak
    0122 Without a Song
    0118 I'll Be Seeing You
    0121 Take Me
    0202 It's Always You
    0123 Polka Dots and Moonbeams
    0203 It Started All Over Again
    0125 The One I Love (Belongs to Somebody Else)
    0117 In the Blue of Evening*

How many masters did FS do of this album before he was satisfied? Wasn't it three?

Phil

Phil, the truth is out there somewhere...

Here's a link for discussion / information / reviews from older threads for:

I REMEMBER TOMMY
    https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5776

First off, I'd like to say that I really love the album cover - much different than his other album covers.

This album was a marvelous tribute to Tommy Dorsey. For instance, Getting Sentimental, I never knew that song had words to it. Frank's version is very touching.

On The One I Love Belongs To Somebody Else, Sy Oliver pumped plenty of adrenalin into this song. This version smokes! The same with East of the Sun, Imagination, I'll Be Seeing You.

I know some of the earlier posts were critical of the sound on the 20 CD Reprise Set compared to the earlier vinyl releases. Not having heard the vinyl releases, I can't compare the two. However, listening to the CD on my system, I thought this album really sounded good.

The original LP was a double fold, with Frank's photo showing through an oval cut out.

Excellent CD. I love it! It has memories of the younger years. I love the younger years more than capitol. So it's a wonderful CD. Excellent thread! And great CD.

MY FIRST POSTS

This resurrected topic reminds me that my first real efforts at posting on this website occurred around discussion of this landmark album. I don't have to re-explain anything. This will always be one of my very favorite albums by Frank Sinatra. I will leave it for others to discuss.

Thanks for the memories,

Russell Kishi
    Glendale, California

I REMEMBER TOMMY (a year later)

I am writing this message exactly one year and one week after posting my first thoughts on The Sinatra Family website. Certainly my thoughts on this album have not changed. The appreciation only grows. I'm playing my early Reprise vinyl copy now, even as I string these words together. Awesome, just awesome.

One thing really captures my attention as I rediscover the pleasures that exist in these grooves. "I Remember Tommy" is a most fitting title, not just for The Great Man's revisiting of these works first recorded with Tommy Dorsey, but for the truly spectacular brass playing. The trumpets and trombones dominate the Sy Oliver charts. Who is the lead trumpet player, I ask? Maybe MMM or Bernhard can furnish an answer. But every player backing Frank Sinatra's superlative vocals is a virtuoso in his own right. The muted trumpets in "It Started All Over Again" have a wonderful, silvery sheen. And when the trumpets set forth unmuted, as in "The One I Love Belongs to Somebody Else," I guarantee they will blow the dust out of your head. Just what anyone needs to inviigorate himself!

If forced to take on Frank Sinatra album with me, and one only, I think this is the one. I wrote my first messages here (and got my first great feedback) focusing upon the extended process it took to come up with the finished product. There's no doubt the effort was worth every ounce of creativity that went into it.

Best regards,

Russell Kishi
    Glendale, California

Nice album with a great concept and I love Oliver's arrangements, butover-all, I find this to be one of Frank's "weaker" (for lack of a beter word) projects. Later in the year, Frank would give a commanding performance of "I'll Be Seeing You", and earlier at Captol, Frank had recorded some definative versions of of the songs covered like "The One I Love Belongs to Somebody Else".

And of course, we can't forget the original Dorsey-Sinatra recordings which served as inspiration for this particular album. I'd say for you to go look them up to see the brilliance they had.

"One of his weaker projects....."

Re: Your critique. (couldn't find

the "thumbs down" one)
    When You're Here, It's Family
    www.reverbnation.com/Soundslikefrank/songs

Thumbs up I Remember Tommy...

What a wonderful album!, Mr. Oliver's arrangements are very zesty and make you wanna get up and dance! Just "Too Marvelous for Words"!

- Dust

" Like the man says, one more time..."

Question hhhmmm

Did i just see the word ' WEAKER' ? I dont think Mr Sinatra knew what 'WEAK' was..I know your not saying this is a bad album Bennit,but i think its great,fun songs and some kinda thoughtful songs..I sometimes wonder what Mr Sinatra is thinking about when he re-sings his old songs....

Maybe I was too harsh with my critique but I still stand by my guns...

However, there are two great songs on here: "In the Blue of Evening" and "I'm Getting Sentimental over You". Perhaps not his greatest work yet they are great readings and they remind us of how far he had gone up to 1961, both perfecting his singing techincally and his capabilities of conversing a song.

Frank always makes me weak........in the knees!
    Melody Martin
    If your last name is Sinatra, I'm a fan

18. There is something amazing about the upbeat songs that this album contains.East of the Sun,I'll be seeing you,Imagination,It's Always You!!They are all arranged on slow burner and just errupt towards the end all the while they swing along as well if not better than anything else Frank ever recorded.
    Listen to the end of 'I'll be seeing You'
    'I will dig you in the...........early'..He doesn't need a breath there but the pause just makes the line.Only Frank can do this.
    Surely 'East of the Sun' is an example of Frank at his most joyous,playful best?
    'Cause he was Sensational....Thats all!

"It's Always You" is Frank at his finest. This song will forever remind me of my very first Reprise album, the fantastic collection : "Sings Sammy Cahn & Jimmy Van Heusen", which was my introduction to the post-Capitol Sinatra (and what an introduction!). 24 killer songs with impeccable arrangements by Riddle and Frank in top form. I have a feeling that the Cahn/Van Heusen/Riddle team somehow brought out the best of his talent. An album that opens with "Ring-A-Ding-Ding" and ends with "Star!" just can't go wrong. There is such overall quality and coherence in the material you could almost think the collection of songs was conceived in one shot! Plus the liner notes are excellent.

I had a good, but not great opinion of this album when I first heard it about 10 years ago. Over time, I've really come to love it. I still don't care for "Take Me", but the rest is great. I had to open my mind a bit to accept "I'll Be Seeing You " uptempo, but once I did it grew on me. My favorite is "It Started All Over Again", with "It's Always You" close behind.

You dare me to be untrue... - what a line!