Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: SINATRA SWINGS - SWING ALONG WITH ME (Reprise) 1961 

Sorry for the delay in replying… I just got back from spending Christmas with my kids in (chilly!) New Jersey.

Yes, I did find that lovely copy of "Swing Along" at Freakbeat (which I take it is actually located in Sherman Oaks not Studio City). Super nice people running that store—but they have ABSOLUTELY no interest in Sinatra or any other vocalists of his ilk.

I'm on some kind of Sinatra vinyl roll lately… My kids and I dropped into a little music store around Dover/Rockaway NJ area where we were staying, and I found a sealed (!) copy of the 180g "September of My Years" Reprise reissue for $7.

Just washed it, dried it and played it… wow. What a fantastic LP.

Heres wishing everyone a wonderful '13!

~Huck

2. Hope you had a nice Christmas. Being in the midwest or east coast in the winter always makes me laugh when I see people (mostly girls) bundled up in heavy jackets, scarves, and hats in Los Angeles whenever the temp dips below 60.

Try Rockaway Records over by Silverlake. They have lots of unopened vinyl there. It's there "thing."
    "...and stars fractured 'bama last night."

3. Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    Sorry for the delay in replying… I just got back from spending Christmas with my kids in (chilly!) New Jersey.

Yes, I did find that lovely copy of "Swing Along" at Freakbeat (which I take it is actually located in Sherman Oaks not Studio City). Super nice people running that store—but they have ABSOLUTELY no interest in Sinatra or any other vocalists of his ilk.

I'm on some kind of Sinatra vinyl roll lately… My kids and I dropped into a little music store around Dover/Rockaway NJ area where we were staying, and I found a sealed (!) copy of the 180g "September of My Years" Reprise reissue for $7.

Just washed it, dried it and played it… wow. What a fantastic LP.

Heres wishing everyone a wonderful '13!

~Huck
    Thanks for uploading the pic, Huck. It's a timely reminder of how wonderful it was to get to fully appreciate great artwork in the heady days of vinyl. That particular album cover is one of the best!

Hi, Rich!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Silverman View Post
    Hope you had a nice Christmas. Being in the midwest or east coast in the winter always makes me laugh when I see people (mostly girls) bundled up in heavy jackets, scarves, and hats in Los Angeles whenever the temp dips below 60.
    You can count me in with that wimpy LA crowd who find anything below 65º freezing! My folks were from Massachusetts, so they knew real cold… but I was born and raised in Long Beach, CA so I'll take temperatures in the high 90s any day! That said, it snowed all over us back in Jersey but we bundled up and had a fantastic time. Thanks for asking—hope you had a swell Christmas, too!

Try Rockaway Records over by Silverlake. They have lots of unopened vinyl there. It's there "thing."
    I started visiting Rockaway back in the late '70s when they first opened and continued going deep into the '80s and early '90s. Ultimately I stopped shopping there because I found their pricing to be pretty ridiculous. My friends and I found we'd rather make the long drive to Blue Meanie in El Cahon for our (mostly) Beatles vinyl rather than get gouged at Rockaway. Plus Rockaway never had any Sinatra! Oh well, as I haven't ventured over to that part of Silver Lake in almost 20 years, perhaps I owe them a visit to see if things have improved.

Thanks for the reminder!

~Huck

Two stand out songs imo are 'Have You Met Miss Jones ?& Don't Cry Joe."Miss Jones" sounds very modern for '61.

If Frank didn't have so many iconic "closing" numbers -- "My Kind of Town," "My Way," "New York, NY," et al -- his concert audiences would have been very much satisfied with "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You!" Billy May's chart is fantastic! And Frank just sings the hell out of this golden oldie! Whew!
    Stanley

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Two stand out songs imo are 'Have You Met Miss Jones ?& Don't Cry Joe."Miss Jones" sounds very modern for '61.
    That's my favorite song from the album. The xylophones really add to it.

Has always been one of my favorites. I have multiple editions, mixes. As usual I enjoy most remixes that bring out the raw sound of Sinatra's voice; that sounds so unique. The cover photo was perfect and I suspect captures his state at this time in his career. Movies, TV, and his own label. Just picked up a almost pristine copy of reel-to-reel.
    Last edited by Ozmun; 02-23-2018 at 01:30 PM.
    Michael

If you enjoy Ring Ding Ding, then I would suggest this one will be a great listen as well. I play this [chosing between one of several vinyl versions, a Reel, or CD remix, on the Home stereo, when I commute to my office, which is in my home, lucky me, 4 of 5 days a week. Kicking off with "I never Knew" 'side B', the album just carries you through a well paced journey. Each performance and orchestration is a real jewel. If you don't have it, give it a listen.
    Michael

Being one of my favorite albums, I was looking for a reissue, preferably in 180gram. Looks like most Reprise reissues from UMe are 180g, but did not find this LP on the list. But I saw a lot of new vinyl from DOL. Who is DOL? I did a google, read some site info, Discogs, etc., and it looks to be a bootleg company in eastern Europe. Can FSE validate this? I do not wish to support ripoffs. Also. Anyone know if a official reissue of this album on vinyl is in the stars, please post. [of course I have the MFSL, unopened
    ]
    Michael

11. Quote Originally Posted by Ozmun View Post
    Being one of my favorite albums, I was looking for a reissue, preferably in 180gram. Looks like most Reprise reissues from UMe are 180g, but did not find this LP on the list. But I saw a lot of new vinyl from DOL. Who is DOL? I did a google, read some site info, Discogs, etc., and it looks to be a bootleg company in eastern Europe. Can FSE validate this? I do not wish to support ripoffs.
    It's not authorized. See relevant discussion beginning with this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmun View Post
    Also. Anyone know if a official reissue of this album on vinyl is in the stars, please post. [of course I have the MFSL, unopened
    The 2011 MFSL "1-344" reissue is the only official edition on 180g vinyl, so far.
    Andrew

Curious about the R2R change from AMPEX to Stereotape. I have a few copies from the latter, and looking for the former to fill out my collection of this great album. In this sites discography, selecting filters 1960's, Studio Concept and R2R's, neither came up [similarly, Ring-A-Ding-Ding on Stereotape]. Deselecting Studio Concept, and both editions then showed, along with a lot of other items. In any case, the curiosity I have is about the rarity of the AMPEX edition. Anyone here know about AMPEX production run numbers before being 'dropped'? Looks like they had less than a year on the contract. Thanks.
    Michael

13. Quote Originally Posted by Ozmun View Post
    Curious about the R2R change from AMPEX to Stereotape. I have a few copies from the latter, and looking for the former to fill out my collection of this great album. In this sites discography, selecting filters 1960's, Studio Concept and R2R's, neither came up [similarly, Ring-A-Ding-Ding on Stereotape]. Deselecting Studio Concept, and both editions then showed, along with a lot of other items.
    All editions of Sinatra Swings, including reel-to-reel (R2R) format, are filed under "Studio Concept Reissue" because the album's original release was titled Swing Along With Me.

Ring-A-Ding Ding's second reel-to-reel release, the Stereotape edition, is also filed under "Studio Concept Reissue."

Quote Originally Posted by bvo35 View Post
    All first pressings (mono and stereo, R/R9-1002) of Sinatra's second Reprise LP release, as well as the reel-to-reel-tape release of it, were titled "Swing Along With Me" written across the cover.

Bernhard.
    I have never found any evidence of an initial reel-to-reel release with the title Swing Along With Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmun View Post
    In any case, the curiosity I have is about the rarity of the AMPEX edition. Anyone here know about AMPEX production run numbers before being 'dropped'? Looks like they had less than a year on the contract. Thanks.
    I don't know production run numbers for the Ampex edition. Reprise's distribution deal with Stereotape (Stereo Tapes, Inc.)/Greentree was reported in the November 3, 1962 issue of Billboard, fourteen months after the title change to Sinatra Swings.

Quote Originally Posted by Billboard: November 2, 1962
    The initial Reprise tape release is scheduled for November 10, and will consist of 14 packages. Twelve of these are single albums, and two are twin-packs (double LP's reproduced on a single tape reel). The twin-packs consist of a Sinatra package coupling "I Remember Tommy" with "Sinatra Conducts" albums, and a Les Baxter package, combining his "Voices in Rhythm" and ''The Primitive and the Passionate" LP's. ...

According to trade magazine articles, distribution of STI reel-to-reel product was limited to camera shops and hi-fi stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash Box: November 17, 1962
    STI [Stereo Tapes, Inc.] will distribute to camera shops and hifi stores while Reprise’s regular disk distributors will supply music stores.
    Matt Lutthans posted comparison clips of "Love Walked In" from RSL-1704 (Ampex-United) and S9-1002 (Stereotape): here.

Related thread: Frank's Tapes Discography.
    Last edited by AndrewT; 06-24-2018 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Added "Cash Box" quote.
    Andrew

I knew you would respond. Thanks, Andrew. Yes. Reissue makes sense to me. I had read your Frank's Tape Discog, and Hoffman's forums and Sinatra Cole sites, before expanding into reels back in December. I need patience when it comes to waiting for the hard to find gems to popup for sale.
    Michael

This week I received the Ampex release of this album. Great sound! IMHO best mix on the market to date! Recording through Audacity, so I can listen on any of my devices....Great Album. It does seem to run a bit fast. maybe an issue with the recordings speed. IDK.
    Michael

Well. Ran the sound through Audacity and seems this may not be an original recording, but a recording taken from some other media. Disappointed. Guess I have to keep looking to complete my Reprise 4 Track issues! My Wife will be happy to hear that.
    Michael