Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: SINATRA AND STRINGS (Reprise) 1961 

1. Lovely post, Stanley.

Thank You, Dearest Nancy!
    Stanley

Honestly, Sinatra & Strings has always been huge for me. Its easily in my top 3 Sinatra albums of all time.
    Peter

I awoke this morning whistling the tune of COME RAIN OR COME SHINE. It's always fascinated me that this wonderful Harold Arlen melody is basically just three notes. A repetition of 13 consecutive F-sharp notes (in this Costa arrangement) and a bridge/release (Days may be cloudy or sunny . . .) that is the same B note repeated (including the octave note) but it's the same B-major note repeated 17 times! Yet because of the perfectly fitting Johnny Mercer lyric the tune sounds anything but repetitious. It's a great song -- created magically from barely three different notes. Don Costa's opening and closing orchestral flourishes in fact contain more notes, which may contribute to the magic!

I read somewhere (Nancy's biography?) that she and Don Costa were backstage together one time when her Dad was performing this song with an orchestra with a string section to do Costa's great orchestration justice, and he remarked to Nancy that of all his arrangements, "This is my favorite."

Thanks Stanley for that anecdote I'd not heard before, that

'When Frank sent a copy of the first pressing to Harold Arlen, he suggested that the great composer play "Come Rain Or Come Shine" "VERY LOUD!" I think Frank was on to something!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocsvcGcriT4
    Last edited by Mark Blackburn; 01-09-2019 at 02:26 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
    I read somewhere (Nancy's biography?) that she and Don Costa were backstage together one time when her Dad was performing this song with an orchestra with a string section to do Costa's great orchestration justice, and he remarked to Nancy that of all his arrangements, "This is my favorite."
    Yes, in both of Nancy's books:

Frank Sinatra, My Father: Sinatra & Strings' "For The Record" entry (page 329 in the hardcover edition)
    Frank Sinatra: An American Legend (pages 166-167).

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Sinatra: An American Legend View Post
    SEPTEMBER 1962: Reprise released the milestone album Sinatra & Strings, arranged by Don Costa. This album is brilliant, but for me the outstanding cut here is "Come Rain or Come Shine." I was on tour with Dad in 1983 when Don Costa died. I remember the last time I saw him. I sat on his lap in the wings at Caesars Palace while we watched Dad perform "Come Rain or Come Shine," and Don, who was in a melancholy mood, said, "That's still the best chart I ever wrote."

Last edited by AndrewT; 01-09-2019 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Added page numbers.
    Andrew

Just shared an email with a guitarist friend who singled out MISTY as his favorite on this album -- noting that DON COSTA was 'a very good guitarist.' [As well as arranger -- and talent spotter. Don was present at a NYC studio when a 16 year old Paul Anka made his first hit recording that sold nine million copies, Diana.] Just wrote to my friend, concerning Sinatra & Strings:

I agree -- the best ever arrangement written for Errol Garner's best song which as you said, "proves Don Costa was a genius; I've read comments by a guitarist who played on many Sinatra recordings -- that he thinks this is Frank's greatest recording."

SINATRA & STRINGS is in my "Top 5" Sinatra album list. Every track is wonderful. I'm a guitarist and am partial to an arranger who did all of his orchestrations with a guitar in his lap. Another of Sinatra's studio guitarists who accompanied him on tour, recalled the night Don Costa knocked on his hotel room door -- after midnight and asked to borrow his Gibson L-5 because he just HAD to write an arrangement right now, while it was fresh in his mind's ear.