Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ALL ALONE (Reprise) 1962 

no, savatri, it looks like frank
    look again
    SINATRA : " Standing Room Only " ... new LIVE box 2018

Post Adam

Due to a musicians strike in the early 1940s a considerable number of Sinatra's early solo recordings were just vocals, accompanied only by vocal orchestrations, as steffen says they can be found on many of the Columbia compilations available over here, if you e.mail me i'll let you have a list of tracks I know are available.

Cheers

Marty
    sooner or later we all make the little flowers grow

3. Thanks Marty.

I know what you mean, i have heard some of them myself.

I meant literally no backing, just pure Frank.

Wouldnt that be great?

Adam
    Adam
    Be Aware & Don't Despair

ALL ALONE

On this album, FS sings a few notes acapello on the 1st song called ALL ALONE.

This is a Sinatra masterpiece! His singing is top notch and Gordon Jenkins did a superb job arranging. This album has a sense of innosence and sweetness to it - the lyrics are a bit corny but Sinatra and Jenkins make them all their own!

Steve

Talking Brilliant Album/Shame About The Sleeve

He looks like Joey Bishop, always hated this record sleeve, anybody know the story behind it?

Hi, Adam!

I have this Album. Is one of the Frank's best. If you find it, don't hesitate buy it, you will love it! Great songs and Frank is suberb!
    LOURDIE
    Frank Sinatra: You will be my music.

Adam,

Lourdes is correct about this album - one of his greatest. In my opinion, two songs that really shine on this album are What'll I Do & the great, "When I Lost You, written by Irving Berlin. He wrote this song while grieving the loss of his first wife.

As a matter of fact, I believe Nancy, in her book, makes reference to the fact that her dad recorded this song right after being a pall bearer for his good friend, Ernie Kovacs, who had died in a car accident.

If you find it, buy it.

Adam Asked A Simple question

and here's a simple answer.
    1. ALL ALONE (gorgeous)

2. THE GIRL NEXT DOOR

3.ARE YOU LONESOME TONIGHT

4. CHARMAINE (My daughter's middle name)

5. WHAT"LL I DO

6. WHEN I LOST YOU

7. OH HOW I MISS YOU TONIGHT

8. INDISCREET

9.REMEMBER

10. TOGETHER

11. THE SONG IS ENDED

12. COME WALTZ WITH ME

According to the liner notes all the songs were written between 1913 and 1934.Yes, we live and learn
    Bobbysoxer

Hi Adam,

there is a thread about this album in the "Recordings" section, opened by Pedro:

sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8150

As others have said, this is also one of my favourite FS albums. A glorious Sinatra-Jenkins collaboration. As Steffen has correctly stated, it was supposed to be entitled "Come Waltz With Me", after a Sammy Cahn-Jimmy van Heusen track written newly in late 1961. Sinatra recorded it along with the other tracks during the album sessions in January 1962.

However, Cahn/van Heusen also presented the "Come Waltz With Me" song to Steve Lawrence (of "Steve & Eydie"), who recorded it in spring 1962 and had a hit from it. Sinatra, as some reports say, didn't like that, and the project was postponed.

When Sinatra finally released the album in October 1962, ten months after the recordings, "Come Waltz With Me" was dropped from the album and the title had been switched to "All Alone", one of the 5 Irving Berlin songs on this marvelous set.

The Cover Artwork is credited to "Weber" (no first name given). I like it. it's orange - Frank's favourite colour. Coincidence? Hmmh well okay, he looks a bit like Bing... like Bing Crosby who was the major artist with many of the songs featured on the album. Coincidence?

As Bobbysoxer has already mentioned, this album is Sinatra's purest thing ever going back to the times of Vaudeville, a period that gave birth to and shaped so many performers and styles that essentially influenced Sinatra on his rise two generations later. That alone is why I think this Sinatra album is an ESSENTIAL listening experience. Never again in his career did he focus so closely on an era that was so important for the environment that had shaped him as a singer.

Nine of the 11 songs (minus Come Waltz With Me) from the original album come from that period:

1912 - When I Lost You (Irving Berlin)
    1913 - Charmaine (Erno Rapee/Lew Pollack)
    1923 - What’ll I Do (Irving Berlin)
    1924 - All Alone (Irving Berlin)
    1925 - Oh How I Miss You Tonight (Joe Burke/Benny Davis/Mark Fisher)
    1925 – Remember (Irving Berlin)
    1927 - Are You Lonesome Tonight? (Lou Handman/Roy Turk)
    1927 - Song Is Ended (Irving Berlin)
    1928 - Together (Ray Henderson/Buddy deSylva/Lew Brown)

Plus two "newer" selections:

1944 - The Girl Next Door (Ralph Blane/Hugh Martin); a remake for Sinatra, he had already recorded it for his first Capitol album in 1953 (Songs For Young Lovers). It's a poignant song and a poignant rendition here, too, although I slightly prefer the version with Riddle from 1953.

1958 - Indiscreet (Sammy Cahn/Jimmy van Heusen); from the movie of the same title.

My favourite is "When I Lost You", a song that the great Irving Berlin (1888-1989) wrote in 1912 when his first wife died. A prime example of how timeless Sinatra's vocal genius was - the song was written when FAS wasn't even born yet.

Only Berlin could put it that sweet-sad-and-simple:

I lost the sunshine and roses,
    I lost the heavens of blue,
    I lost the beautiful rainbow,
    I lost the morning dew.
    I lost the angel who gave me
    summer the whole winter through.
    I lost the gladness
    that turned into sadness
    when I lost you.

I join sweet Lourdes from Brazil to say, this album is a MUST buy for any Sinatra aficionado. Great, great music.

Another small piece of trivia: On two selections (All Alone and The Song Is Ended) Sinatra is accompanied by a young Loulie Jean Norman, meanwhile one of the most famost opera singers of her own.

Also, this is one of the very few concept albums by Sinatra from which he almost never performed any songs in concert. With one notable exception: In May 1988, at the Irving Berlin Gala at Carnegie Hall celebrating the songwriter's 100th birthday, he sang a poignant medley of "Always" (as a ballad!) and "When I Lost You". Especially the latter comes across extremely grand through Sinatra's aged, and sophisticatedly broken voice. Marvelous.

In 1988, he sings:

"I lost the gladness
    that turned-uh into saaadnessssssss:
    When Iiiiiii lossssttt - I lossstttt youuuuuuuuuuu".

Boy.....

Forever Frank!

Bernhard.

He looks like Dick Cavett on the cover.

***songs from 43. sometimes I can't believe that so many members never experience the greatest sinatra recordings of them all ( 1943)***

These of course they are not, as you know.

Sinatra was forced into that situation by the Union's Ban on studio musicians (that wasn't lifted until November 1944), so that after having signed his contract with Columbia in 1943, he could only make studio recordings without orchestra (without ANY instruments only, actually), so he did some with the Bobby Tucker Singers (in June and November 1943) but literately let almost 1 1/2 years pass by without any other recordings before the ban was lifted. Of course he had to make some 'output' for his new label, but I think he knew that this wasn't his path to follow.

Sinatra has always been a band singer, and he knew it. During the 1943/44 Ban period, he sang and recorded with full orchestra heavily for soundtracks and mostly for radio. Sinatra never chose the a-capella approach for any radio appearance. And Columbia, meanwhile, gave him a #1 hit by re-launching the 1939 (Columbia) recording of "All Or Nothing At All" with Harry James (Orchestra, that is).

Now this has nothing to do with the thread's topic "All Alone", but I agree that it is important to discuss it here - I admit I never had the idea that someone could mistake the album's title "All Alone" for it being a FS a-capella album, but indeed, that thought is somewhat suggested by the title. Thanks Adam for mentioning that, and for getting this whole thing going.

Bernhard.

Thumbs up Early Sinatra

<<<sometimes I can't believe that so many members never experience the greatest sinatra recordings of them all>>> says Vincent.

got to agree with you there Vincent, those early almost naive 1940s recordings are amongst Frank's very best, the vocals at their purest in songs like "I Couldn't Sleep A Wink", "The Nearness Of You" etc, people who discount those early gems do themselves a real dis-service....

Arrow ALL ALONE STANDS ALL ALONE!

The title song will forever gives me goosebumbs!

We had quite a great discussion on this "All Alone" as Bernard referenced. Check it out--was great! Concensious was the cover looked like one of the Smuther's brothers!!!

, Lux

P.S. Great to have you back, Bernard! You were sorely missed, dear heart!

***P.S. Great to have you back, Bernard! You were sorely missed, dear heart!***

As Sinatra sang (well, almost ):

Lux Be A Lady

Bernhard.

chat room now

Chat room now, spread the word

16. Thanks

Thanks for the information Bernhard, and everyone else.

I will try and find it somewhere, 6 weeks delivery from amazon however!

Adam
    Adam
    Be Aware & Don't Despair

My dear friend and guru Bernhard

Thanks for your kind words. When I lost you is one of the most beautifuls songs of the world.
    LOURDIE
    Frank Sinatra: You will be my music.

The Saddest of the Reprise Albums

This album has grown on me over the years. I think the songs on here are the saddest of any Reprise album - possibly any album. Frank just bares his soul on all these songs. Every one of these songs on the album gets to me. Just great, great Sinatra interpretation & wonderful arrangements by Gordon Jenkins.

WARNING: Do not listen to this album if you are going through any crisis in your life. It's just too sad.

Denny, guess that's why it is aptly named a "suicide album."

I also read that the painting on the cover was done actually by Mr. S. himself, self portrait. I read it in one of my recent books. Don't know if it's true.

And who is that on your avatar please? Curley by chance???

All Alone is one of my favorite albums.

You're right, Denny. Don't listen, if you're on the edge.
    This LP will push you over.

Lux, my dear.....looks like Harpo to me.

Jim