Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FRANK SINATRA'S GREATEST HITS (Reprise) Vol. 1 1968 & Vol. 2 1972 

FRANK SINATRA'S GREATEST HITS (Reprise) Vol. 1 1968 & Vol. 2 1972

I'm sitting here listening to Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits, Vol. 2.

A Man Alone, Cycles, September of My Year, Bein' Green.......

Some great stuff here. There are some who think he should never have recorded "Bein' Green". They say he should have left it alone with Kermit the Frog. Personally, I like it alot.

Anybody else think he shouldn't have done that song?

I dont care for that song. What really gets me going is Goin Out Of My Head, and Something. he just sings the hell out of them songs. A Man Alone is also a great, great song.

BEIN GREEN

I dissent. I like the way FS recorded that song.

Personally, I have this CD but other than CYCLES and LOVE'S BEEN GOOD TO ME, I don't really care much for it. I purchased it for those two songs.

I already have MY WAY, A MAN ALONE, SEPTEMBER OF MY YEARS on other CDs.

STAR is fantastic arrangement but I think the lyrics were a bit silly.

The rest of the songs on this CD I can do w/o.

Steve

FRANK SINATRA'S GREATEST HITS, VOL. 1 (1968) AND VOL. 2 (1972) (REPRISE)

These are collections of singles and album cuts from the mid- to late 1960s on the Reprise label. Not all of these were truly Sinatra's "greatest hits" (commercially), and many appeared first on other original "concept" albums. See FRANK's REPRISE JUKEBOX CONVERSION below to cross-reference these songs to the main Reprise thread:

THE COMPLETE REPRISE STUDIO RECORDINGS 1995

FRANK SINATRA'S GREATEST HITS!

Reprise LP #FS-1025 (11 tracks) 1968
    Reissued on Reprise LP #FSK-2274 (12 tracks) 1978
    Reprise CD #2274-2, December 2, 1987

Note: "Somewhere In Your Heart" did not appear on the original LP issue.

FRANK SINATRA'S GREATEST HITS, VOL. 2

Reprise LP #FS-1034 (11 tracks) 1972
    Issued in Quadraphonic on Reprise #FS4-1034 in 1974
    Reissued on Reprise LP #FSK-2275 in 1978
    Reprise CD #2275-2, November 17, 1987

Note: This album of mostly 1960's material served to "fill in" the Reprise catalog during the period of Sinatra's brief retirement between 1971 and 1973.

FRANK'S REPRISE JUKEBOX CONVERSION
    (Code digits: 1&2 = Disc, 3&4 = Track)

https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8119

FRANK SINATRA'S GREATEST HITS!

1015 Strangers In The Night
    1020 Summer Wind
    0914 It Was A Very Good Year
    0904 Somewhere In Your Heart
    0921 Forget Domani
    1121 Somethin' Stupid (with Nancy Sinatra)
    1101 That's Life
    0919 Tell Her (You Love Her Each Day)
    1123 The World We Knew (Over And Over)
    0920 When Somebody Loves You
    1204 This Town
    0822 Softly, As I Leave You

FRANK SINATRA'S GREATEST HITS, VOL. 2

1311 My Way
    1415 A Man Alone
    1215 Cycles
    1514 Bein' Green
    1416 Love's Been Good To Me
    1517 I'm Not Afraid
    1424 Goin' Out Of My Head
    1518 Something
    1506 What's Now Is Now
    1302 Star!
    0918 The September Of My Years

Bein' Green

<< Anybody else think he shouldn't have done that song? >>

I think Kermit the Frog did a pretty good job of it, but when my kids were little, it was one song which made them sit up and take notice of Daddy's favorite singer.

FS was quite partial to Joe Raposo's compositions. Besides "Bein' Green," he sang: "The Hurt Doesn't Go Away," "Noah (Walk With The Lion)," "There Used To Be A Ballpark," "To Love A Child," "Winners," and (my favorite of the lot) "You Will Be My Music."

During his 1987 concert at Reunion Arena in Dallas (as recorded on the Sinatra 80th: Live In Concert Capitol CD), Frank singles out Raposo for special mention during the intro to "You Will Be My Music." He refers to the composer as "a serious-thinking man," as if to say: "He didn't just write children's songs!"

And "Bein' Green" is not just a children's song: It can be interpreted on an adult level, also. Listen carefully.

Bein' Green

I love his recording of Bein' Green. What's not to like? It's perfect.

You may want to sue me for this, but I don't care for his Strangers in the Night. I heard Frank Jr. sing it with a very different, jazzy big band arrangement. Big improvement.

Edwin

10. These two albums were among the first I had purchased. As you know, both were big sellers and are just about everywhere today. Several of my family members, who are not huge Sinatra fans, have one of these albums, probably Volume 1 is more prevalent.

The titles of both of these albums were/are misleading because the majority of the tracks were not hits for Frank. But nonetheless there is great 'contemporary' material here. The classic Summer Wind, arranged by Nelson Riddle (What isn't a classic when arranged my Riddle?), the smash hit Strangers in the Night, that SHOULD have been arranged by Riddle, but history shows that Frank did the right thing having Ernie Freeman do the arranging...earned him a long-awaited number 1 hit...brought Frank back to the top of the pop charts.

Volume 2 is my favorite of the 2 albums, if not for the obscure Star! alone. I love this song, it is so classy and Frank is in fine form. Just listen to how he phrases "caviar" and you'll see what I mean. It could have been written for Frank, being that it is a Cahn and Van Heusen collaboration (I'm not sure, but the experts will tells us) if not, I am sure it had been Sinatra-fied with an alteration of the lyrics "If they've got a drink with her name in Jilly's bar." Frank had also performed it at the Grammy Awards(?) in 1968 and assume he recorded this around the same time (November 11, 1968).

This version of Something, the first of his two recordings of it, is my favorite. (I might be slaughtered here....but) It's a great arrangement and Frank is in fine form, he really gives it his all...wipes the Beatles's version off the map. The way it was arranged can't help me think that Frank was looking for some chart action in recording it, same for Goin' Out Of My Head, both songs being wonderfully interpreted by Frank. I'm Not Afraid is another favorite of mine, given a grand performance by Frank, and just happens to be obscure, funny having obscure tunes on a greatest hits album A Man Alone and Love's Been Good To Me are the best tunes taken from Frank's album of Rod McKuen's poetry, A Man Alone, all of which were written especially for Frank.

You can't go wrong with either album, but I prefer Vol. II, as mentioned above, if only for Star! and I'm Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Stunatra View Post
    Star! [...] It could have been written for Frank, being that it is a Cahn and Van Heusen collaboration (I'm not sure, but the experts will tells us)
    Actually not. It was written for the same-titled 1968 movie starring Julie Andrews, who sang it in the film.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Actually not. It was written for the same-titled 1968 movie starring Julie Andrews, who sang it in the film.
    I figured on something like that, Bob. Thanks. But the lyrics were altered to include "Jilly's bar"?

I assume the lyrics were "personalized" for FS. (It was not a film I've paid attention to. )

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    << Anybody else think he shouldn't have done that song? >>

I think Kermit the Frog did a pretty good job of it, but when my kids were little, it was one song which made them sit up and take notice of Daddy's favorite singer.

FS was quite partial to Joe Raposo's compositions. Besides "Bein' Green," he sang: "The Hurt Doesn't Go Away," "Noah (Walk With The Lion)," "There Used To Be A Ballpark," "To Love A Child," "Winners," and (my favorite of the lot) "You Will Be My Music."

During his 1987 concert at Reunion Arena in Dallas (as recorded on the Sinatra 80th: Live In Concert Capitol CD), Frank singles out Raposo for special mention during the intro to "You Will Be My Music." He refers to the composer as "a serious-thinking man," as if to say: "He didn't just write children's songs!"

And "Bein' Green" is not just a children's song: It can be interpreted on an adult level, also. Listen carefully.

Have you ever heard BUDDY RICH sing it? On the RCA CD "Stick It!"
    .....not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Stunatra View Post
    These two albums were among the first I had purchased. As you know, both were big sellers and are just about everywhere today. Several of my family members, who are not huge Sinatra fans, have one of these albums, probably Volume 1 is more prevalent.
    These were two of my earliest FS purchases also. The title "Greatest Hits" was the reason I bought them... only much later when my FS knowledge increased did I realize that most of these songs were not "hits" and most appear on other albums.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

One reason I bought this so long ago was because of "forget domani" I saw it performed in a Twyla Tharp's ballet when it came to vancouver and had to get this!

17. Forget Domani is classic Sinatra, as well. One of the few songs where he sings in Italian. In this case, partly in Italian.

Different British issues

Hi all,

I was gifted an LP copy of Greatest Hits Vol. II and the first thing that struck me, already owning the Reprise CD of the same title, was that the songs were very different from the CD/LP listed here. I assumed that different selections were made for the British issue.

The songs are:

SIDE ONE
    The Shadow Of Your Smile (This is from Sinatra At The Sands)
    Yesterday
    Blue Lace
    For Once In My Life
    Born Free
    My Way

SIDE TWO
    Little Green Apples
    Both Sides, Now
    Mrs. Robinson
    Call Me Irresponsible
    Gentle On My Mind
    Love's Been Good To Me

It's a Reprise Stereo LP number K44018 (1032). The record's inner sleeve is the same as my British copy of Ring-a-Ding Ding - a feint green with the image of the orchestra during recording, and the "reprise records hollywood" logo.

Thought some folks might find it interesting, or may know some trivia about the issuing of it in Britain.
    Alan

"How did all these people get in my room?"

Picture of the LP:

Alan

"How did all these people get in my room?"

Quote Originally Posted by alan.murrie View Post
    I assumed that different selections were made for the British issue.
    It's been a source of discographical confusion for many years. The album was issued not just in Great Britain, but in nearly every European country and Australia, with various catalog numbers including Reprise FS-1032 (which was skipped in the US).

Note the title distinction from the US LP (Reprise FS-1034) by the use of roman numeral "II" instead of "2." Vol. II appeared in Europe in 1970, two years before Vol. 2 was released in the US during Sinatra's retirement.