Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: SINATRA'S SINATRA (Reprise) 1963 

Didn't Frank have a big hit with it in the early days? Its probably my favourite song on this album.

2. What song?

Oh what it Seemed to Be, hence its inclusion on this set re recorded. I checked it out in the new singles section and it was a US number one back in the 40s

I also like Oh, What It Seemed To Be. Call Me Irresponsible is the track I don't play often.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

Has Sinatra's Sinatra had a release by Universal Yet ?

Only in the big boxset, not individually.

Listening to this album now and wanted to give the thread a bump. Not Frank's magnum opus, but, perhaps the most underrated Reprise album. That may seem like a bold statement, but...it's undeniably true.

"I'm irresponsibly mad for you...."

Fantastic album

"Call Me Irresponsible" and "Pocketful of Miracles" are wonderful, wonderful movie songs. Cahn & Van Heusen at their best!

Jeopardy answer for the day..." He introduced 'Call Me Irresponsible'
    Jeopardy question: Who is -------- --------?
    Stanley

Here are a couple of clues...The person who introduced "Call Me Irresponsible":

(1) Was a very good friend of FAS
    (2) Appeared on a TV program in which he played a round of golf vs. Arnold Palmer, and shot pool vs. Willie Mosconi
    Stanley

10. Quote Originally Posted by sschweiger View Post
    Jeopardy answer for the day..." He introduced 'Call Me Irresponsible'
    Who was "The Great One" ?

Bob in Boston

"How Sweet It Is!" and How Correct You Are, Robert! Always great to have you posting! Take care & be well!
    Stanley

I heard it was just an okay album, and I played it once and I thought it was just okay. BUT, it was better than just okay. I just played it a second time, and like the song, it was waaaaaaay better the "second time around."
    I actually really liked it alot, and I was once again expecting it to be underwhelming, but holy jeepers, each song is fantastic in its own unique way.
    I loved "Call Me Irresponsible" but I've never heard it before, so the title is misleading. How is this an album of Sinatra cuts, when he never cut this one before? Anyway, it doesn't even matter, because it was an extremely enjoyable experience through and through. Now none of these songs match up to their previous versions, but who the heck cares. Oh and I think Pocketful of Miracles is also new, although it is a bit derivative of "High Hopes" but what a joyous song! Very infectious.
    Standout tracks- How Little We Know, All the Way, The Second Time Around, Put Your Dreams Away, and of course "Irresponsible," which steals the show. Another homerun from the homerun king! Loved it all the way.
    Pedro

13. "Love is lovelier the second time around."

I always wondered about the third or fourth time.
    "...and stars fractured 'bama last night."

A friend of mine picked up a mono vinyl copy of Sinatra's Sinatra for me at a garage sale this weekend. I haven't listened to it yet and I was wondering about the "alternate takes". I read through this thread but I couldn't figure out if there was a consensus on which songs are different versions than those we're more familiar with. Boston Bob or Nick Bradley, can you help?
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.
    Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. ~ Ellie Wiesel

15. Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    A friend of mine picked up a mono vinyl copy of Sinatra's Sinatra for me at a garage sale this weekend. I haven't listened to it yet and I was wondering about the "alternate takes". I read through this thread but I couldn't figure out if there was a consensus on which songs are different versions than those we're more familiar with. Boston Bob or Nick Bradley, can you help?
    Dina, I hope this helps. See these posts regarding the alternate take of "Pocketful Of Miracles":

Andrew

Thank you, Andrew. I really appreciate your help. So, if I read Ron Sarbo's post correctly, the alternate version of "Pocket" is only available on the mono vinyl? I guess my friend really scored for me. Not bad for 25 cents!

Ron Sarbo is never read correctly....only begrudgingly.

However...yes...the alternate take is only on the Mono LP. To my knowledge it has not yet on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Sarbo View Post
    Ron Sarbo is never read correctly....only begrudgingly.
    In this case, Ron, I appreciate your expertise. Thanks!

The "How Little We Know?" on SS is, IMO, a sensational "re-creation" of the original. The recording (and Frank) sounds so fresh & vibrant! It's wonderful!
    Stanley

20. Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Sarbo View Post
    However...yes...the alternate take is only on the Mono LP. To my knowledge it has not yet on CD.
    Interestingly, it is unique to the mono LP. That may have been a production mistake, because the original-release 45 single had the take which appears on the stereo LP (in mono). This was the picture sleeve:

Bob in Boston