track 6 arranged by Don Costa, conducted by Nelson Riddle
    tracks 8, 9, 10 arranged and conducted by Ernie Freeman
    track 11 arranged and conducted by Don Costa
    track 12 arranged by Nelson Riddle, conducted by Neal Hefti

Reprise CD

Re-released through Universal Music Group 2011

Pedro

Thumbs up ADDL. NOTES!

Thanks, Bernard. It worked! This is such a fantastic album!

Produced by Sonny Burke & Jimmy Bowen.

"He walks into a recording session about half an hour after the orchestra has begun running down the songs. He looks smart, what your mother used to call "natty." His wide-banded hat is tipped back, one inch off straight flat. He doesn't come in w/a fanfare. He's there though. He strolls through the studio obstacle course, the mike booms, the cable spaghetti, the music stands. Softly and with a grin, he greets the musicians who've been working his sessions for years. "Hi ya, Sweets." "Evenin,' Sunshine."

'He sings. The words come out wise, and sure. The girl in the crowd, the one against the wall, forgets to wonder if he's noticed her. He's singing now. Everyone feels the grove of the rhythm. Thirty right feet silently tapping. The groove is there.

He is happening to a song. . . it looks easy . .and so much more........"

Liner notes by Stan Cornyn.

Find this CD if you can. It's a gasser!

FRANK'S REPRISE JUKEBOX CONVERSION
    (Code digits: 1&2 = Disc, 3&4 = Track)

https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8119

SOFTLY AS I LEAVE YOU

0902 Emily
    0704 Here's to the Losers
    0903 Dear Heart
    0512 Come Blow Your Horn
    0705 Love Isn't Just for the Young
    0801 I Can't Believe I'm Losing You
    0901 Pass Me By
    0822 Softly, As I Leave You
    0823 Then Suddenly Love
    0825 Available
    0707 Talk to Me Baby
    0424 The Look of Love

1964, Frank was on a roll. Movies, concerts & plenty of albums. Frank is in excellent voice on this album. A real nice mix of songs. I mean with songs like Emily, Here's To The Losers, Come Blow Your Horn, Pass Me By, how can you go wrong.

And as great as all the songs are on this album, Frank blew me away with Here's To The Losers. I just think Frank connected so well on this song. And in the last line, Frank hits a homerun out of the ballpark with, Here's To the Losers, Here's To the Losers, Here's To the Losers------------------BLESS THEM ALL!!! Wow.

Good Listening,

Dennis

HERE'S TO THE LOSERS

Bless them all. I have no problem with the semantics of this number. There's such a good-natured spirit at work in the vocal that you know he relates to every word. He's been there and done that, or seen it. Another tune to snap your funk.

I like to view "Come Blow YourHorn" as the flip side of this coin. Frank's admonishment to get off your behind and get back into the race. Words of advice straight from the master.

The balance of this album reflects a time when hit tunes were spun off the Hollywood assembly line, joined at the hip to a current film in release. "Emily" is my own favorite among the numbers inspired by films. But not quite as good as other works from the same era, i.e. "Call Me Irresponsible." "Pass Me By" is a number better suited to the King Family of the same era. But he does all right by it.

"Softly, As I Leave You" is the cherry on top, the track that makes this a benchmark of Sinatra. Funny how the inclusion of one track elevates the standing of the rest of the album.

'Scuse me while I disappear,

Russell Kishi
    Glendale, California

6. SOFTLY is on the entry page...

For the sixth time...

Being a fairly new member ..this is my first time hearing
    it
    I thought it was very appropiate and brough tears
    to my eyes this morning.
    My condolecence to you dear Nancy, Tina and Frankie Jr.
    also your children and all of your dear family.
    "I'll be seeing you."......Elba
    Canela.......

8. Thank you, Elba.

I never thought too much of the song until I heard it the day after he passed away. Since then, it rarely fails to move me tremendously. Especially at this time of year....

PJ

"...for my heart would break
    if you should wake
    and see me go..."

Unhappy

<< SOFTLY is on the entry page...

For the sixth time... >>

Couldn't hold the tears.

The entry page

Me too.

LOURDIE
    Frank Sinatra: You will be my music.

Does anyone know of a place where I can buy this CD? It's one of the last Reprise CD's I need to complete my collection.

Bumping for the discussion of "I Can't Believe I'm Losing You," which was re-released with a guitar overdub four years later, along with "How Old Am I?" from a later album: September Of My Years.

This is an excellent compilation album that includes songs from different arrangers and years. The songs selected are nice and go together very well. It contains some nice ballads like Emily and Love Isn’t Just For The Young but also some upbeat songs like Come Blow Your Horn and Then Suddenly Love. This is a nice album to relax with or listen to in the car. This concept was used again the next year on Sinatra ‘65. It would be great if this album was rereleased on cd.

My favorites from the album are: Emily it's a nice opener to the album and gives the listener an idea of how good the rest of the album is. With all of Frank’s saloon songs and albums, Here’s To The Loser is a natural fit for him. I like that he sang “bless them all” because Frank, better than anyone else, can project in a song what these “losers” are feeling. He did his best acting in a song, especially when he sang the saloon songs. Dear Heart is good song and I really like the guitar during the song. Come Blow Your Horn is loaded with energy and excitement! This is a song I can only image Frank doing because he made it his own. I also like the movie version found on the Sinatra In Hollywood box set. One of the best songs on the album is Love Isn’t Just For The Young, this is a beautiful song with a great message. This is one Sinatra song that should be more well known. Pass Me By is one of Frank’s best fun songs and I really enjoy listening to it. He made this song sound good. I’ve liked Softly, As I Leave You ever since I first heard it on Greatest Hits Vol.1. It’s a very moving song and one of my favorite Reprise recordings. Two more great songs are Then Suddenly Love and Available, their two of my favorite songs on the album. The Look Of Love is another good and imaginative song from Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen. This a nice album to hear once in awhile.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

Quote Originally Posted by RICK IN SYDNEY View Post
    FRANK'S REPRISE JUKEBOX CONVERSION
    (Code digits: 1&2 = Disc, 3&4 = Track)

SOFTLY AS I LEAVE YOU

0912 Emily
    A correction should be made here. On mine, "Emily" is 0902. 0912 is "Once Upon a Time."

Quote Originally Posted by eaglescout1998 View Post
    A correction should be made here. On mine, "Emily" is 0902. 0912 is "Once Upon a Time."
    It's the same way in my set too, Emily is 0902 and Once Upon A Time is 0912.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

Quote Originally Posted by eaglescout1998 View Post
    It's a typo in the master track listing: The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings (post #5).

Nancy or a mod would have to make the correction in both places, since those are Rick In Sydney's posts.

Hi Bob,
    Did Frank cover Softly as I leave you, Before Mat Monroe ?.
    ( I know it was a big hit in the UK for Mat in the early 60's).

Matt Monro introduced it first in the UK. It was based on an earlier Italian song, "Piano."