Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: DUETS 1993 / DUETS II 1994 / CLASSIC DUETS 2002 

Ill take a look at mine Bob, I only got it quite recently and didn't see it in stores at the time, I don't recall it being promotional in the white label etc sense of the word, but may have been given out to selected people or companys back in the day. Will post label pictures when I get round to it...I paid 25 for it plus postage but its mint, seems to be about the going rate for them, I wouldn't say its old enough or far enough from release to be truly rare, in the sense the Man and His Music 2 LP is, just a bit harder to come by than the average Sinatra vinyl fare. I prefer the second album to the first but neither get a lot of play these days, from many people I suspect.

2. There's a UK catalogue number for it in the WOW database, Nick. I've never seen one, but it sounds like an interesting collectible. From an audiophile standpoint, the sound won't be any different than the CD; probably worse, depending on the vinyl quality.

Bob in Boston

Duets II vinyl was a UK EMI release. It was not released in US on vinyl.

Managed to find a Copy

Have successfully managed to track down a copy of the UK issue of this album and have placed my order for it , now I only really need two or three albums to complete the actual original discography ( omitting Soundtracks, which to me don't have as much appeal, but do have a handful of those, Pal Joey, Can Can high Society etc ).

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Bradley78 View Post
    Ill take a look at mine Bob, I only got it quite recently and didn't see it in stores at the time, I don't recall it being promotional in the white label etc sense of the word, but may have been given out to selected people or companys back in the day. Will post label pictures when I get round to it...I paid 25 for it plus postage but its mint, seems to be about the going rate for them, I wouldn't say its old enough or far enough from release to be truly rare, in the sense the Man and His Music 2 LP is, just a bit harder to come by than the average Sinatra vinyl fare. I prefer the second album to the first but neither get a lot of play these days, from many people I suspect.
    Is it true they only made 500 of these, presumably due to the explosion of compact discs, Managed to track one down as mentioned in Mint, was one on the famous auction site but it sold for 31, hopefuly to another member of this site!!. did put an offer in but with $15 postage to the Uk and customs charges which would have took it to around nearly 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    There's a UK catalogue number for it in the WOW database, Nick. I've never seen one, but it sounds like an interesting collectible. From an audiophile standpoint, the sound won't be any different than the CD; probably worse, depending on the vinyl quality.

Bob in Boston
    When I get my copy Bob ill do an A/B Comparision of vinyl vs cd of this album. I have a Michell Orbe Turntable which im sure would enable the vinyl to sound infinitely superior to any compact disc, as long as its pressed on nice vinyl, I was in two minds whether to purchase a Brazilian copy of this but the one I saw had a lot of ringwear and on a white cover that looks quite unsightly especially if you are collecting these albums

Wayne: Why do you prefer vinyl? Did you compare vinyl albums vs. CDs before?
    "How long I been on ...?"

8. Analog and vinyl ! The way to go!!

9. The Duets recordings were not analog. The limited-release vinyl albums should be using the same digital masters as the CD issues. That's why I stated the sound won't be any better on vinyl.

Bob in Boston

10. I prefer analog in general.

So do i Nancy so do i!, for me when you have a quality turntable the sound from vinyl is considerably better in most departments sonically, vinyl technology developed over a period of many many years and trust me the sound when heard on a top flight turntable just has to be heard, there is simply no comparison in my mind and im probably not the only one who thinks that. Bass is significantly better on vinyl and most would say you get a warmth and feel from vinyl which you very rarely get from compact disc.
    Admittedly though it depends on the quality if the vinyl and who pressed it and consequently who owned the vinyl and what stylus they used on it, i listened to Sinatras Sinatra original Uk pressing yesterday and this morning i have been to a car boot sale and spotted the Sinatra Reprise boxed set from 1975 for around $15 or 10 english money, i bought it and played the side withNancy with the laughing face and other songs from Sinatras Sinatra and the sound quality was far and away the best i have heard of any of these songs.
    The problem with buying vinyl though is that you can buy one record and it sounds amazing and the same title later pressing which has something missing sonically. Hence me having some of these records 4 or 5 times over!.

Also i didnt mention the tactile benefit and better artwork which can be found on lp records. Lps provide memories for people, cds dont have the same feeling for me, they are not as emotion stirring as looking at these old records

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Wayne: Why do you prefer vinyl? Did you compare vinyl albums vs. CDs before?
    I like most people where hooked on cd when it came out in the mid 1980's , but as i got more into esoteric audio equipment, i came to realise that cds sound flat in comparison to records, in the Uk vinyl is taking off again, hifi stores all stock turntables in my Town, and records are big business. Sadly though the manufacturers seem to class vinyl as an "elite" speciality now and therefore charge expensive prices for records, i would anticipate that on average a vinyl record cost 30 approx in the Uk and a cd around 8 for the same thing, where as it was the opposite in the 1980s cds were expensive, vinyl was reasonably priced, sorry im digressing here, I have done many comparisons of Franks material, and more often then not a great vinyl pressing will sound better than the same on cd, but as Nancy says Analogue rules, but then again most of Franks albums were recorded with vinyl in mind as there was nothing else out there due to the tech available.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Wayne C View Post
    I have done many comparisons of Franks material, and more often then not a great vinyl pressing will sound better than the same on cd ...
    I don't disagree with much of what you've said, Wayne, but this is much more due to the mastering than to the differences in technology.

Regardless, may I suggest that THIS thread is a particularly inappropriate place to discuss the merits of analog recording, since the DUETS projects were conceived and executed as entirely digital productions.

Bob in Boston

Fair comment Bob, i do get a bit passionate about it!, ill keep it about the albums from now on thanks Wayne

Wayne, there are a few threads around here in ref "Vinyl" Do a quick search here on the SFF you may find them of some interest. Looks like you got a bargain at the Booty.
    "I Could Have Danced All Night...".

Quote Originally Posted by Tina... View Post
    Wayne, there are a few threads around here in ref "Vinyl" Do a quick search here on the SFF you may find them of some interest. Looks like you got a bargain at the Booty.
    Duets II was my second most expensive single LP purchase though, had to get it, am still waiting for a guy from Italy sending it to me

Thanks Wayne

As promised here's the pics of it. Nice recreation of the Capitol grey label from the 50's, (doesn't show well on the photo but it is identical in colour) but....the vinyl is very very flimsy by comparison, but pretty standard quality for records from the time I recall

Just received my copy of the above album, have been away for a couple of days was waiting for me on doorstep, am amazed its was still there to be honest. Will give it a spin later.

Going off the topic of vinyl for a minute and at the risk of causing offence and serving no useful purpose, I want to get my feelings about the Duets albums off my chest.
    Reading this thread the other day, I decided to listen to these albums for the first time in maybe fifteen years. The experience made me want to weep. I know that commercially the project turned out to be a brilliant idea. It's marvelous that Frank's last records were his most commercially successful. I guess that he's unique in that respect. And they fulfilled the function of getting a lot of people tuned in to his better records. But it's a shame that his most commercially successful records had to be his least artistically successful. That has nothing to do with his performances but everything to do with the performances of most of the other people. To my ears, with only ten notable exceptions (I'll mention Lena Horne, Tony Bennett and Frank Jr. - you can probably guess the others I'd name), the other performers seemed to lack the know how and/or the ability to perform the material even adequately. It's a pity that they didn't have the self awareness or the artistic integrity to simply acknowledge that they weren't up to the task. The tragedy is that it could have been so much better. There were many quality performers active at the time who would have turned these albums into something lovely - Rosemary Clooney, Keely Smith, George Shearing, Scott Hamilton, John Pizzarelli and a whole bunch of others. But I fully understand that there would have been commercial and contractual reasons for not limiting the other performers to those who were up to the task. I doubt very much that such an album would have been the runaway best seller that Duets turned out to be. To me though, the albums are no more than the 90s equivalent of Mama Will Bark and several of the performances are not significantly better than Dagmar's. I can't help but wonder what Frank, with his good taste, truly thought of some of these recordings when he heard them for the first time. There, said it. Sorry if I've offended anyone whose favourite singers are among those I'm talking about.

20. Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Bradley78 View Post
    Nice recreation of the Capitol grey label from the 50's, (doesn't show well on the photo but it is identical in colour)
    It's interesting that the Capitol "colorband" label was used for the Brazilian release.

Andrew