Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SINATRA / JOBIM 1967 & 1969 

SINATRA / JOBIM 1967 & 1969*

Frank Sinatra undertook two series' of sessions in collaboration with Antonio Carlos Jobim.

The 1967 recordings produced
    FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA & ANTONIO CARLOS JOBIM - Reprise CD LP - 1967

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 1969 recordings produced the (withdrawn) 8-Track Cartridge**
    SINATRA JOBIM - Reprise 1969

(** Though technically "released" - SINATRA JOBIM was cataloged, mastered, manufactured and in a few instances retailed - it was withdrawn and most copies destroyed)

and (Side One of) SINATRA & COMPANY - Reprise LP/CD 1970
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All tracks from these sessions are on THE COMPLETE REPRISE STUDIO RECORDINGS

FRANK'S REPRISE JUKEBOX CONVERSION
    (Code digits: 1&2 = Disc, 3&4 = Track)
    https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8119

SINATRA / JOBIM COMPLETE 21 TRACKS

1110 Baubles,Bangles And Beads 02:33
    1111 I Concentrate On You 02:36
    1112 Dindi 03:28
    1113 Change Partners 02:41
    1114 Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars (Corcovado) 02:43
    1115 If You Never Come To Me 02:09
    1116 The Girl From Ipanema 03:14
    1117 Meditation (Meditacao) 02:53
    1118 Once I Loved (O Amor En Paz) 02:37
    1119 How Intensive (Insensatez) 03:16
    1120 Drinking Again 03:11
    1312 One Note Samba (Samba De Una Nota So) 02:20
    1313 Don't Ever Go Away (Por Causa De Voce) 02:28
    1314 Wave 03:19
    1315 Bonita 03:39
    1316 Someone To Light Up My Life 02:37
    1317 Desafinado 03:00
    1318 Drinking Water (Aqua De Beber) 02:35
    1319 Song Of The Sabia 03:38
    1320 This Happy Madness (Estrada Branca) 02:54
    1321 Triste 02:39

Warner Bros Reprise has scheduled a FAS/ACJ collection for release September 2003

Antonio Carlos Jobim appears as vocalist, musician and songwriter

1967 Sessions arranged by Claus Ogerman
    1969 Sessions arranged by Eumir Deodato

FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA & ANTONIO CARLOS JOBIM 1967 Reprise CD/ LP

The Girl From Ipanema (Gârota De Ipanema)
    Dindi
    Change Partners
    Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars (Corcovado)
    Meditation (Meditacáo)
    If You Never Come To Me
    How Insensitive (Insensatez)
    I Concentrate On You
    Baubles, Bangles And beads
    Once I Loved (O Amor En Paz)

The remaining track from these 1967 sessions "Drinking Again" is on:
    Reprise CD / LP THE WORLD WE KNEW Go to:
    https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8164

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SINATRA JOBIM 1969 (Withdrawn) Reprise 8-track Cartridge

(Song of the) Sabia
    Bonita
    Drinking Water
    One Note Samba
    Don't Ever Go Away
    Someone To Light Up My Life
    Triste
    Wave
    This Happy Madness
    Desafinado (Off Key)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SINATRA & COMPANY* *Antonio Carlos Jobim, Eumir Deodato, Don Costa Reprise CD LP
    Drinking Water (Aqua de Beber)
    Someone To Light Up My Life
    Triste
    Don't Ever Go Away (Por Causa de Voce)
    This Happy Madness (Estrada Branca)
    Wave
    One Note Samba (Samba de Uma Nota So)

1513 I Will Drink The Wine ++
    1520 Close To You ++
    1516 Sunrise In The Morning ++
    1514 Bein' Green ++
    1515 My Sweet Lady ++
    1519 Leaving On A Jet Plane ++
    1512 Lady Day ++

++ non-FAS/ACJ collaborations - featured as Side 2 of original LP

SINATRA - JOBIM SESSIONS WEA Brazil 2 LP set 1979
    This notable collection represents - with the exception of the duet "Desafinado" (Slightly Out Of Tune) which remained unavailable until its inclusion in THE COMPLETE REPRISE STUDIO RECORDINGS (link above)- the entire collaborations of Sinatra & Jobim; plus the non-FAS/ACJ ** "A Day In The Life Of A Fool" from:

CD/LP MY WAY Go to:
    https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17119

1- Baubles, Bangles and Beads (Robert Wright / George Forrest )
    2- I Concentrate on You (Cole Porter )
    3- Dindi (Antonio Carlos Jobim / Aloysio de Oliveira / Ray Gilbert )
    4- Change Partners (Irving Berlin )
    5- Quiet nights of quiet stars (Corcovado)(Antonio Carlos Jobim / Gene Lees)
    6- If you never come to me (Inútil paisagem) (Antonio Carlos Jobim / Aloysio de Oliveira / Ray Gilbert )
    7- The girl from Ipanema (Garota de Ipanema) (Antonio Carlos Jobim / Vinicius de Moraes / Norman Gimbel )
    8- Meditation (Meditação) (Antonio Carlos Jobim / Newton Mendonça / Norman Gimbel )
    9- Once I loved (O amor em paz) (Antonio Carlos Jobim / Vinicius de Moraes / Ray Gilbert)
    10- How insensitive (Antonio Carlos Jobim / Vinicius de Moraes / Norman Gimbel )
    11- Drinking Again (Johnny Mercer / Doris Tauber )
    12- One Note Samba (Samba de uma nota só) (Antonio Carlos Jobim / Newton Mendonça / Ray Gilbert )
    13- Don't ever go away (Por causa de você) (Antonio Carlos Jobim / Dolores Duran / Ray Gilbert )
    14- Wave (Antonio Carlos Jobim )
    15- Bonita (Antonio Carlos Jobim)
    16- Someone to light up my life (Se todos fossem iguais a você) ()Antonio Carlos Jobim / Vinicius de Moraes / Gene Lees
    17- Drinking Water (Agua de Beber) (Antonio Carlos Jobim / Vinicius de Moraes / Norman Gimbel )
    18- Sabiá (Antonio Carlos Jobim / Chico Buarque )
    19- This Happy Madness (Estrada Branca) (Antonio Carlos Jobim / Vinicius de Moraes / Gene Lees )
    20- Triste (Antonio Carlos Jobim )
    21- Manhã de Carnaval - A Day in the Life of a Fool (Luiz Bonfá / Antonio Maria / Carl Sigman ) **

3. Among the most elegant albums recorded, the Sinatra and Jobim collaboration capitalized on the Bossa Nova sound of the late 1960's.

I am a big fan of these recordings, but until now was unaware of the two other albums (the 69 and 79 collection). You learn something every day on this forum!!!!

Franks smooth voice blended well with the sophisticated sounds of ACJ. Bravo!

Quiet Nights is my personal fav, Wave a close second.
    Christopher

Sinatra/Jobim

All the Sinatra/Jobim sessions are great. I love all the musics. Jobim was a great composer.
    LOURDIE
    Frank Sinatra: You will be my music.

Christopher,

I was reading in "The Frank Sinatra Reader" that the lyricist who wrote QUIET NIGHTS was at the recording session where Sinatra and Jobim cut the song. He was very nervous prior to Sinatra's recording the song because he said that up to that point, no one seemed to really understand the meaning of the lyrics -- and he was dissatisfied with the previous renderings of the song by other artists.

Then Sinatra sang the song, and he breathed a sigh of relief! Evidently, Sinatra conveyed the emotions that the lyricist wished his audience to take from the lyrics.

I love QUIET NIGHTS as well; but my favorite is DINDI. But so many of those collaborations are wonderful. His work with Jobim is so understated and so perfect.

FINALLY, THE GREY HOUND BUS!

There were so many questions as to where this photo was taken. Now we know. Assume it was the back of the '69 recording?

Also, Rick, kindly explain to me why '69 withdrawn?

But just heard Don't Ever Go Away (Por Causa de Voce) from the '70 release. What an absolutely sumptious song! It actually sounds like it belongs in "Watertown".

What a fantastic release. A dear forum friend made a tape of several of these ACJ cuts but are they available on CD as well? I never personally cared for the bosa nova beat, but these have undoubedly changed my mind!

And Kathy, Quiet Nights is a keeper as well! But what of Mr. S.'s ensemble of work is not, pray thee tell?

These albums are really an example of Frank's versatility. Any project that Frank embarked on usually turned out to be 1st class. Just such a beautiful array of songs on both albums. I still get a lump in my throat when I listen to them. And that line from Once I Love, "Love is the saddest thing when it's over."

Dennis

8. Kathy--that is a marvelous story re: QNQS. Dindi is an impeccable piece too.
    Christopher

The work by Frank Sinatra with Antonio Carlos Jobim stands out among the best recordings The Voice has ever made, in my opinion. Especially the first album is sheer grandness from A to Z.

There has been many discussions on these collaborations here on the forum prior to the initialing of the "Fs recordings" section.
    They are all contained in a big thread in the "FS Forum" section. Merging that one into here would be no good idea I think, so rather, here's the link - check it out.

There is plenty of additional info in the various contributions there, e.g. the background story to "Dindi" that Lourdes Correa told us about. (The thread has six pages so far, start reading at the first).

http://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showt...800#post103800

Bernhard.

Here's a link to a page talking a bit about the Sinatra/Jobim (1969) 8-Track cartridge, which also has a B&W picture of the front and back of the tape within its sleeve:

www.8trackheaven.com/sinatra.html

Question QUESTION. . .

I think on the 1967 session, have an opportunity to purchase it, "Francis Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobin". I have the "Sinatra & Company."

Should I bid on it, and if so, what's it worth? I love the Sinatra & Company and just wonder if this might be somewhat of a redundant addition.

Thanks!

, Lux

Sure thing Lux!

Get it first chance you get- You won't be disappointed!

IMO, even better than Sinatra & Company!

Pedro.
    Pedro

When you listen to both of the Sinatra-Jobim albums, with one song more beautiful than the other, Frank sings these songs like he was doing them for over 30 years. It's amazing how he nailed them down, especially when considering that he had never done this type of material before.

Dennis

Sinatra-Jobim..'67

Lois,

Did I read right, Lois, that you don't own the '67 album of Frank and Jobim...you have only the sides from '70's Sinatra and Company? I can hardly believe it since you are probably one of the most dedicated fans I know that you don't own this fabulous Sinatra album. Get it as soon as you can because you will the find the two sessions w/Antonio - '67 and '69 - much different and equally enjoyable.

Different arranger/conductors, of course. But the most obvious difference is Sinatra's approach and subtle change in style for the '67 sessions. He sings very soft and demonstrates a range rare and unique even to Sinatra. Also, the '67 sessions included a couple of great ones from the American songbook - ie..I Concentrate on You..Cole Porter dressed up for Bossa Nova by Sinatra/Jobim.

Take my word for it, Lois: Francis Albert Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim is a must for you, dear lady!!

Holmes

Arrow HEY, THERE, MR. T!!

Well, dear heart, I'm working on it! Have a bid in and hopefully will get it tomorrow unless it goes too high. I just rec'd. the "Sinatra & Company" and I know how fantastic it really is, because a very dear friend made of tape of it for me!!!!! Now I have the CD to play at the puter. However, everytime I try to do that, my concentrations goes complete down the drain and everything stops!! But it's worth the pause, isn't it?

I was playing "Sinatra & Company" last evening getting dressed to go out to dinner, and Abe said "Arn't those sort of unusual songs for HIM to be singing?" (Abe usually refers to Mr. S. as "Sinatra" and he knows I don't like that- Mr.S. or Francis are my respected names and that's it!) He actually said he liked them, the arrangements and the beat! Might have a convert yet! Perhaps Francis & Antonio will put him over the edge!

Great to hear from you--been a long time. Business must be good, eh? Incidently, think very highly of your son-in-law. . . .quite a gentleman and handles himself as such in a knock-down forum fight! I think he's a real hoot!! Wish I had been as fortunate!

I'll let you know when the FS & ACJ arrive (hopefully!) Regards to your family from the Heartland, where it's been raining for three days and three night. We need it badly, but it might be the time to get out the boards for Noah!

, Lois

Arrow I "THINK" I HAVE IT!

Do U know that I lost this on Ebay by 40 seconds?

But, the nicest thing happened whilst I was crying into my tomatoe soup! Rec'd. an email from Vincent telling me about another site where I could purchase it.

I immediately logged on, and there it was, so beautiful, and $3.00 less than on Ebay! Ha, Ha, Ebay -- I feel so good and triumphant!!!

But only thanks to Vincent. So I wish to extend my sincere thanks to Vincent for "opening my eyes" to another CD selling site! (sorta sounds like that commercial to Big Lots we have here in Missourah!)

Plus I found another one of Mr. S.'s CD which I'll mention on another Recording thread!

Our forum members are teriffic friends, to count on when you need anything! Thank you Vincent!

My smiles still don't work so I'll just do this by doss:

Lux

If I understand correctly, Lois, in a few days' time (depending on delivery) you will for the FIRST time listen to the 1967 Sinatra-Jobim album?

Wow... wish I could have that thrill again. I've worn out my copies for some time because it is such a great great album by FS.

In short: be prepared for something here, my friend. By 1967, FS was also doing/recording things bound to the times they then called modern, but this album is absolutely timeless. And Claus Ogerman (a Polish-born, German-rased, most versatile arranger who is still alive and kicking and did many great other projects from pop to classical) conceived congenial charts for this album.

You'll enjoy - and you'll discover one of Sinatra's biggest ever musical achievements.

Bernhard.

Danke, freund Bernard. . .now I'm even more anxious!

Should be shipped tomorrow, which means I'll have it by Saturday at the latest, pending our wonderful USPD. Sometimes their shipments arrive overnight, and sometimes not at all!

I'm so excited. . . . .thanks for the reinforcement, dear heart!

, Lois

It will be Frank Sinatra who on this album will reinforce every praise you ever had about The Voice, dear Lois...

And note how well-balanced the song programme is. It's partly also songs from Brazil (like "Girl of Ipanema") but partly also great classical-American standards done Bossa-Nova-style, such as "Change Partners" by Irving Berlin (my favourite cut from the 1967 Sinatra-Jobim album!!), This way, Sinatra-Jobim-Ogerman demonstrated that the sound, and geniusness, heard here was indeed timeless.

And oh - "I Concentrate On You", that old Cole Porter staple (FS uptempo version with Riddle in 1960 was a smash, and several earlier recordings, e.g. first class Columbia, also do exist) on this album sounds SO supreme!!!

And "Dindi"... and all the others, too. Well I'll keep my praise. I'm very sure you'll be sending yours within hours of the CD arrival :-).

Bernhard.

The "Lost" album

Both Sinatra/Jobim collaborations are excellent albums. It was interesting to see a photo of the 8-track version of the Sinatra/Jobim album (Reprise #1028). The release order on the 8-track was not how it was intended to be released. I have a photcopy of the LP test pressing which shows photos of both sides of the album. Here's the intended release order: Sabia, Drinking Water, Someone To Light Up My Life, Triste, This Happy Madness, One Note Samba, Don't Ever Go Away, Wave, Off Key (Desafinado) and Bonita. Do yourself a favor and listen to the album the way it was planned and you'll realize what a great album it is! Just program disc 13 on the suitcase in that order and you're set. It's really a shame the way Reprise butchered the album even on the rare 8-track version. Here's an interesting note on the song "Drinking Again." Checking Luiz Carlos do Nascimento Silva's book, "Put Your Dream Away": A Frank Sinatra Discography, here's how the session on February 1, 1967 went. From 8 to 1030 p.m. three songs were recorded with Claus Ogerman conducting his arrangements: Once I Loved, How Insensitive and Drinking Again. A Brazilian release release implies Drinking Again was part of the Sinatra Jobim session, but this is not the case. Jobim told Silva that he and percussionist Dom Um Romao were NOT on Drinking Again. It's easy to tell they weren't on the song by just listening. It definately doesn't have Jobim"s guitar work, there is no bossa nova beat and Frank is singing in a slightly fuller voice than the first two songs. In order words it correctly omitted from the first Sinatra/Jobim release in 1967. From 10:30 to Midnight Claus and most of his men split while Billy Strange's group came in the record his arrangement of the Frank and Nancy song "Something Stupid." It was definately a busy day at the office for old blue eyes! Glen Campbell, Al Casey, Hal Blaine and Bill Miller were among the musicians on both sessions that day.