Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: SINATRA / JOBIM 1967 & 1969 

1. I'm sorry, it was a printing error as it came out too dark; when this was released we notified them and they said they would correct on future pressings.

I just checked my copy again and it is not as dark as that one.

Thank you for posting this. I held back in my original post, and I am glad to know the product was not as "approved". I knew it had to be an error. I must say now, that I think it would bring a chuckle out our Mr. S. , as I choose to refer to him. As a collector, not just a fan, I have a real gem now, right?
    Michael

Carole. Yes! No dispute there. It had and has been given it's due in the industry. In the category of soft love vocals, it is tops.
    Michael

4. Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    On June 26, 2006, the Sinatra Jobim 8-track (8FH 1028) was sold on eBay for $4,550.

Currently on eBay [November 28, 2017], one is listed as "Buy It Now" for $6,500.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    The seller says it plays perfectly. Here is the full eBay description and (for posterity) all accompanying images:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    The listing has ended. It looks like Nick didn’t give in to temptation.
    The Sinatra Jobim 8-track is back on eBay (listed on August 5, 2018), with a "Buy It Now" price of $5,000. It's a different seller and, based on a comparison of images, it appears that this is not the same copy.

This is a video posted by Rockaway Records in LA, the seller of the copy in the 2017 eBay listing.

Source: YouTube

Last edited by AndrewT; 08-10-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Added video.
    Andrew

5. Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    It's a different seller and, based on a comparison of images, it appears that this is not the same copy.
    It also appears that the yellow tape shell is a different style. Note the center groove which extends beyond the right and left sides of the top edge label in the quoted 2017 photo. There is no such groove under the label in the new 2018 photo. Caveat emptor.

Bob.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    It also appears that the yellow tape shell is a different style. Note the center groove which extends beyond the right and left sides of the top edge label in the quoted 2017 photo. There is no such groove under the label in the new 2018 photo. Caveat emptor.

Bob.
    Yes. Also: Previous images of the 8-track's shell have Stereodyne's Dynapak design: 2017 photo (left) and 2018 photo (right).

A Man Alone with and without the Dynapak design.

Last edited by AndrewT; 08-10-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added two versions of "A Man Alone."
    Andrew

Hi! I am just curious, wouldn't be the best time in 2019 to finally release the second FAS-ACJ album with original artwork? I think it would be great to see it after 50 years from its original release date. Also great would be on vinyl too, or another idea.... box set, both albums on vinyl, booklet with a lot of information about the session, many many photos, like the 20th anniversary deluxe version of Duets - but much better done

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
    "They all said we never could be happy, they laughed at us and how!
    But ho, ho, ho! Who's got the last laugh now?"

8. https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwmus...7VHtO8JrzsvtTM

All I can say is its about time! An out and out brilliant album that shines with such a sophisticated elegance. It still sounds as fresh as ever with yet another demonstration of Sinatra's versatile vocal talents, singing in a way he hadn't quite sung before. The song choice is sublime and the arrangements complement the vocals so well. A thoroughly well deserved honour.

I have owned the CD release for years but yesterday at the local record store found a SEALED copy - as you can see from the photo, didn't stay that way for long! Imagine sitting all those years not doing what it was designed to do...at any rate, its found a home!

10. This is one of my all-time favorite albums!
    Kate

"Frank is just like you. Just like me. Only bigger."

The first Jobim album is one of my all time favorites. The second also contains some real gems.

The first Jobim recording along with the Francis A & Edward K album almost always find their way into my top ten Sinatra albums list whenever I try to ponder that question. They are some of the crown jewels of the latter part of Frank's recording career.

I had never heard of that 8 Track release. I guess for the modern fan it is not that relevant as all the recordings have been made available elsewhere over the years, but its a nice cover and very interesting to read about. I actually never owned an 8 track but always wanted one.
    Peter