Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CHRISTMAS SONGS BY SINATRA 1948 Axel Stordahl

CHRISTMAS SONGS BY SINATRA 1948 Axel Stordahl

Columbia Legacy CD Expanded-for-CD replication of the 1948 10" LP ( and 4 78rpms "album") CHRISTMAS SONGS BY SINATRA, mainly comprises newly-mastered alternate takes and transcriptions.

Tracks 1 -10 arr cond Axel Stordahl

Monaural recordings

CD CHRISTMAS SONGS BY SINATRA

1. White Christmas *
    2. Silent Night Holy Night *
    3. Adeste Fideles (O Come All Ye Faithful)
    4. Jingle Bells *
    5. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
    6. Christmas Dreaming (A Little Early This Year)
    7. It Came Upon The Midnight Clear *
    8. O little town of Bethlehem
    9. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town *
    10. Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
    11. Chief of Special Services Introduction & Frank Sinatra
    12. Medley: O Little Town of Bethlehem / Joy To The World / White Christmas - from V-Disc w/ Mitchell Boys Choir
    13. Ave Maria - from radio transcription
    14. Winter Wonderland (as above)
    15. The Lord's Prayer (as above)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 X 78s ALBUM/ 10" LP CHRISTMAS SONGS BY SINATRA
    Ensembles and Orchestra under the direction of Axel Stordahl

0113 White Christmas
    0503 Jingle Bells
    0310 Silent Night
    0501 Adeste Fideles
    0821 O Little Town Of Bethlehem
    0820 It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
    0616 Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
    0902 Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town

This is such a warm Christmas album. Great selection of material, especially the radio transcription of Ava Maria. Just magnificent.

Dennis

Where are you guys finding all this

Hi guys
    where are you finding all this good stuff
    I going to need this for my OLD MAN MUSIC SHOP

Frank
    Frank
    Old Man Music

Here I believe they blew it when they didn't put the White Christmas from Dec. 1948 on the CD. It is a version without a chorus and rare.

Another Awesome FS Christmas Album

I was listening to this album today. While some of these songs do appear on the Columbia box set, some of these are either alternate takes or unreleased live material.

There is a terrific version of Let It Snow on here, as well as Have Yourself A Merry Christmas, originally introduced by Judy Garland in Meet Me In St. Louis. A beautiful version of Oh Little Town of Bethlehem. Frank sings this like an angel. Very spiritual.

The radio transcriptions of Ave Maria & The Lord's Prayer are so moving. I'm really glad this was included in this Columbia release.

Hi guys
    where are you finding all this good stuff
    I going to need this for my OLD MAN MUSIC SHOP

Frank

It's $5.99 at Costco.
    - Terry

"Each time I find myself flat on my face, I pick myself up and get back in the race".

8. I'm dredging up an old post, but...

<<On 11-19-2003 12:47 AM Ronald Sarbo wrote: I believe they blew it when they didn't put the White Christmas from Dec. 1948 on the CD. It is a version without a chorus and rare.>>

True, Ron- it is an excellent version. But, when we created this compilation in 1994 or 1995, we decided to begin with White Christmas (the early version, since we structured the repertoire chronologically), and to also include White Christmas from the V-Disc, which was (is?) very rare for most people. Unfortunately, while we (Didier Deutsch and I) argued to include all three versions, Sony vetoed it, as it would have increased the mechanical fees paid for the music publishing - and we couldn't get a break, even though the same song appeared three times! Faced with choosing only two, we went with the V-Disc as the second version, since the 1948 recording was already available to the hard core nuts on the 12-CD box set.

Now, why would I pick this up again out of the blue? Well, in a few weeks, we'll be "remastering" the Christmas Songs By Sinatra CD. The good news is that we can make the recordings sound far better than we could ten years ago. We have a better complement of styli, and a truly amazing transcription turntable that was not available when we did the earliest Legacy Sinatra releases. The bad news is that all of the packaging for this title will be staying the same, so we cannot add the 1948 version to this disc at this time.

I'll keep everyone posted on this as things progress...I just wanted you to know that I'm on top of your concerns, and that if we could make the change we would. Given the circumstances, I still stick by our original decision, though...

Chuck Granata
    BONX!

That's good and bad news combined then, Chuck... fine to see another prime Sinatra album being kept up to newest remastering standards, but a modifying of the extra tracks and artwork wouldn't hurt, either, if only for variety. It makes me pessimistic to learn that even someone like you directly involved with the releases can't persuade the label to fully use what they have on shelf.

Bernhard.

Chuck: Of course I can see that to include all 3 would seem monotonous to many.

As the V-Disc version was not yet available you made the right call.

Also if memory serves the early commercial version of White Christmas was an as yet unreleased alternate as well.

So if correct 2 new versions WERE issued on the CD.

What is interesting to me is that last Christmas some sites called the CD a new remaster but we concluded that it was the same.

I'm sure you will see to it that this new version is labeled as such by a sticker.

We can look forward to this as well as the newly mixed Silent Night from 1991.

Thanks, Ron.

11. I am certain that a new catalog number will be assigned to the new remaster. I will let you know as soon as I find out. Unfortunately, the label wants to simply go in and replace the master, and retain all of the original packaging, and they have not budgeted for any additional reworking of artwork. I can see their point, but that does preclude us changing the lineup. But don't worry, Bernhardt, I am sure the opportunity to sneak another Christmas alternate or two will arise in the future...

Chuck
    BONX!

****But don't worry, Bernhardt, I am sure the opportunity to sneak another Christmas alternate or two will arise in the future...***

I hope so, and I'm confident you will be taking the chance when it comes. Thanks Chuck.

Bernhard.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, although not as moving as Judy Garland's version from Meet Me In St Louis, this recording has always left an impression on me from when I was very young and it formed part of the soundtrack to the marvellous film "The Victors" where in a snow covered landscape an execution took place, the juxtaposition of song & situation always struck me.
    sooner or later we all make the little flowers grow

Yes Marty, that's probably one of the most poignant film scenes ever to use a Sinatra recording.

"The Victors" doesn't use the Columbia version heard on the album this here thread is about, though, but a re-recording that Sinatra made especially for the film in 1963. It has been released on the "Frank Sinatra In Hollywood" 6 CD Box (Reprise/Rhino), and I think it is outstanding.

I also agree that FS aside, the song itself will forever belong to Judy Garland.

Bernhard.

Thanks Bernhard, I never realised it had been re-recorded in '63 especially for Carl Foreman's masterpiece. An amazing director who chose to work more and more in Europe in the way Kubrick felt compelled to do. I know Billy Wilder once said that that particular scene was one of the most powerful mix of image and music he'd ever seen on film.
    sooner or later we all make the little flowers grow

Chuck: I have just heard your new remaster of The Christmas Songs By Sinatra CD.

Another excellent job well done.

It has a sticker indicated "NEWLY REMASTERED" and the cover has a border around it.

It's catalog # is CK 92702.

Best, Ron.

Ron, does it sound markedly better than the original CD?

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

In the movie, "The Victors" ...the tremendous scene where Frank is singing this song is an execution of a young soldier...This is a depiction of the execution of Pvt. Eddie Slovik...Mr. Sinatra, at one time, wanted the screen rights for a movie from the book by William Bradford Huie...Eventually it was made for TV...in the 70's & Martin Sheen played Slovik

Note: I've posted an extensive essay on the song "Silent Night" (a recording of which is featured on this album) and its overall and Sinatra history, to be found here:
    https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17514

Bernhard.

I love Christmas songs by Frank Sinatra

I have the original columbia album and I love it. I love Frank's voice from the 40's. My favourite song is "Let it snow, let it snow" on the album. I guess I am fussy but I studied latin a lot at school and it always bugged me how Frank sang "Ave Maria" because he didn't pronounce some of the words right. But it is still lovely, nothing Frank does isn't lovely.

Ciao
    Melissa