Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Richard Rodgers

Dick Rodgers wouldn't have liked Duane Eddy's version either.

Finally! I find this updated approved video. I'm hearing Duane Eddy's version for the first time in half a century thanks to you, "Duane Eddy -Topic" I'd forgotten that he incorporated some high speed Les Paul style background guitar accompaniment! Notice the guitar -- Chet Atkins' first Gretsch. But this is where I came in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTFn7T-pRCU

Wiki entry to remind us Mr. Eddy is still with us in his 81st year. (Now where have I heard that name "Lee Hazlewood" before?)

Duane Eddy (born April 26, 1938)[2] is an American guitarist. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, he had a string of hit records produced by Lee Hazlewood which were noted for their characteristically "twangy" sound, including "Rebel Rouser", "Peter Gunn", and "Because They're Young".[3] He had sold 12 million records by 1963.[2]

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994,[4] and the Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum in 2008.[5]

The day Dick Rodgers borrowed from a Nelson Riddle counter melody

Just posted to "My Favorites -- Yours Too" thread:

Favorite Sinatra Rarity -- ALL THE WAY HOME
    Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio just played my favorite 'obscure' Sinatra song – included on his “Seduction” collection. Concerning which, I wrote in an Amazon.com review at the time,

Favorite surprises among these many gems, if I may single out a couple, or three (which I'd not heard until recently on SiriuslySinatra satellite radio - they're not among my 60 Sinatra CDs).

[The] delightful rarities: "STAY WITH ME" and "ALL THE WAY HOME" . . . the latter, features a gorgeous late-in-life (1983) orchestration by the late Joe Parnello, sometimes band-leader/pianist for Sinatra. I can imagine Frank listening to the playback of this one, and telling Joe (as he did once to sax giant Johnny Hodges after his solo on "Indian Summer") "My God, that's beautiful!"

A friend at SinatraFamily.com. points out the similarities in the Parnello arrangement's opening bars, to `Edelweiss' (from THE SOUND OF MUSIC) - just a hint, suggesting "that Joe Parnello was paying homage to Richard Rodgers."

Rodgers perhaps inadvertently, once paid similar homage to Nelson Riddle's great `counter-melodies -- borrowing, as his five opening notes of "The Sound of Music," the same sequence of notes you'll hear on the closing orchestral flourish of Riddle's great arrangement (4 years earlier) of Sinatra's "TIME AFTER TIME."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Vkdz2bZtw

BEWITCHED -- Rod Stewart & Cher

"After half a quart of brandy . . . thank God we can be oversexed again -- bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I."

Richard Rodgers is my favorite composer -- just got my fix for the day: Rod Stewart and Cher (they are, like me, 'people of an age') and their straight-up approach to this great Rodgers & Hart song is . . . just what I needed. Thank you God and Jersey Lou (in no particular order).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3stGkfLP78

4. My favorite version is by Ella.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.

My favorite is Frank's version on the "Pal Joey" soundtrack (which never made it into the film!). The track on "Concert Sinatra" is runner-up (great, but a "tad" too overwhelming!). Ella's is in the show position!
    Stanley