Page 225 of 225 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225
Results 4,481 to 4,494 of 4494

Thread: Right now...to what are you listening? (formerly the CD Thread)

Casey Kasem's "American Top 40" on SiriusXM's 70's channel. This week in 1970.

"I'm Losing You," by Rare Earth is playing.

Memories galore listening to these shows.
    Greg
    "There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day." - Alexander Woollcott

What a twist and turn of great songs
    I guess it's Franks closest thing to a " country album "
    From the start " Rain in my heart " I find absolutely astonishing

Ofcourse Cycles is my fav of the set , but they're all great , including
    Moody River
    What a wacky version ..such a dark song sung upbeat and jingly
    "that guy was just a "friend"
    And the ending is pure Frank " I ain't going swimming in there baby "
    Many may not like it , but I for one sure do , I get it.
    Love it

3. Right now my Live At The Meadowlands is playing as I answer emails.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.

It's titled "Frank Sinatra & Tommy Dorsey And His Orchestra," and was a TD brainstorm -- too complicated to describe here -- in which amateur songwriters submitted their songs to the Dorsey Organization. It was done because an ASCAP strike was imminent, so the bands and networks, instead of paying huge license fees to the ASCAP publishers, devised a way (it was legal) to acquire new music (this eventually led to the birth of BMI as an ASCAP alternative)...See, I told you it was complicated...

It's wonderful to listen to these mostly forgotten numbers, the ways that Frank was learning to develop his style and delivery, and the great professionalism of the entire TD ensemble (Jo & The Pied Pipers, Connie Haines, and those legendary musicians)! Some of the tunes: "It's All So New To Me," "I've Lost My Heart Again," My Memoirs," and "I've Got A Restless Spell." Not exactly, "I'll Never Smile Again" and "Everything Happens To Me," but still part of The FAS Legend!
    Stanley

Stevie Ray Vaughan, live version of "Texas Flood".
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rdschonfeld View Post
    Stevie Ray Vaughan, live version of "Texas Flood".
    I've been playing guitar since I was 11. I studied his licks, I studied his style, and I can do a pretty decent imitation, but sounding like him and doing what he did are two vastly different things. One thing SRV had above any guitarist I have ever seen or played with, is stamina. What he did was the equivalent of running at full speed for the entirety of a concert. Most get sloppy when they get tired, Stevie seemed to get better. Through the sweat and the pain, his fingers just kept going. Non-guitarists appreciate him a lot, but guitarists are floored by him. I don't think he's the greatest guitarist of all time, that's such a ridiculous argument, but he was one of a kind, and that's an even better title.

As for trying to sound like SRV, well I think it's good for musicians to find a hero to copy. Then another hero, and another. That fruit salad of influences will turn you into a unique individual. Sometimes I have to hook up a strat and try to keep up with the man.

I reserve the sin of envy for musicians. It's a life's work just to pay proper homage to a genius.

Once in Austin, we were sitting waiting for the first act in one of the clubs. There was a stand onstage with three or four guitars. A guy came out, picked up the first one and unleashed a torrent of notes at 200 miles an hour. The band came on behind him and he launched into his Stevie Ray imitation. Unfortunately, all that came over was how hard he was trying, doubled over his instrument with the intensity of a weightlifter who knows he's got too many plates on the bar. We sat through the first number, which was nothing more than indistinct lightening speed guitar backed by a band that couldn't keep up, then we left.
    Robert

One of the regrets of my life is being too cheap to pay $8.00 for a ticket to see Stevie Ray Vaughn perform at Veteran's Park in Shreveport, La. Labor Day weekend 1984.

Veteran's Park was a lovely outdoor venue; small and surrounded by tall trees. The stage sat on a small pond and faced the enclosed, grassy area where the audience sat. No matter where one sat, it was a close to the stage.

A few friends and I drove there and, after discovering they wouldn't let us in for free, jumped back in the car and drove away, just as he was beginning to play.

This is the concert where a local DJ (Ken Shepherd) allowed his young son (Kenny Wayne Shepherd) to sit on SRV's amp during the show.

Yeah. I was too cheap to pay eight bucks to see that. Ugh.
    Last edited by Skooz; 09-10-2017 at 05:40 PM.
    Greg
    "There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day." - Alexander Woollcott

Well since the month is September and( I turned a certain age last month) ugh
    It's a whole new ballgame , for me

Favorite for me "Last Night When We Were Young" just beautiful

" The Man in the Looking Glass " fantastic line (Who's the middle aged Lothario) yes it's me!

Always liked " Hello young lovers " by 1- Frank 2- Perry 3- Bobby Darin

Another One done fantastic by both Frank and Bobby "Once Upon a Time" ......
    "How we always laughed as though tomorrow wasn't there" ..oh if we only knew how fleeting

And Ofcourse "It Was a Very Good Year" weren't they all?

Oh and by the way
    how's your sacroiliac today.
    Last edited by Mario; 09-13-2017 at 06:48 AM.

"Dionne Warwick - Live" -- one of the few non-Frank vinyl albums I still have. I've always loved Dionne, since first hearing "Don't Make Me Over" in my early Pitt days. This album has everything -- a great band; an amazing medley of her hits; a terrific group of backup singers; and a wonderful, full-throated Dionne doing justice to all of her Bacharach-David tunes, as well as things such as "I Know I'll Never This Love This Way Again" and "Deja Vu!" Great album!
    Stanley

I've always been drawn to this album. I would say along with Watertown that this is his most intimate / sensitive album in my opinion. It's really touching to listen to especially alone at home where you can really listen. I find the older I get the more it is at the top of my list.

^^Oh boy when I'm really feeling down^^
    I just have to listen to "Night"
    And the poet Francis gets me thru

"I can just about get through the day, But the night makes me nervous Not for any reason. Except maybe that it catches you unaware, And follows you the way a woman follows When she wants something.. I've been in every kind of night, Why, I shouldn't be afraid of darkness, But for some reason, the night makes me nervous."

Come on now I'm having a hard enough time with" September of my years"
    Last edited by Mario; 09-13-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Speaking of "September of My Years," that's what's on my Sonos system at this very moment. Actually, "It Gets Lonely Early," that Van Heusen-Cahn dazzler is playing now! Frank & Gordy at their majestic best!
    Stanley

14. Sirius 71. Waiting for NFF. Will listen to NFF and watch Indians game.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.