Page 241 of 241 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241
Results 4,801 to 4,811 of 4811

Thread: Right now...to what are you listening? (formerly the CD Thread)

An original cast album of the most recent "Follies" production in London. Those familiar with Sondheim's glorious score will note that there's a song that wasn't in any of the NY productions, and it's a "doozy!" Titled "Can That Boy Foxtrot," and it's sung by the Carlotta character, who, at one time, was a popular movie star. Yvonne De Carlo who WAS a popular Hollywood star in the 40's, 50's, & 60's, essayed the role on Broadway, and got to introduce "I'm Still Here," one of Sondheim's most powerful "list" songs, that has enjoyed great success with Cabaret audiences. This is a terrific cast album, and it's easy to see (hear) why the show was so successful in the UK!
    Stanley

2. Quote Originally Posted by sschweiger View Post
    Yvonne De Carlo who WAS a popular Hollywood star in the 40's, 50's, & 60's, essayed the role on Broadway, and got to introduce "I'm Still Here," one of Sondheim's most powerful "list" songs, that has enjoyed great success with Cabaret audiences.
    A reference to Yvonne De Carlo was included by Noel Coward in his very witty number, Why Do the Wrong People Travel. At least it is in Elaine Stritch's great rendition during her At Liberty tour.

3. Starting out my Sunday by listening to Beethoven's Symphony #6. Perfect for a cold and snowy morning. Cleveland Orchestra Version.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.

4. The Esher Demos from the reissued box set of The Beatles (White Album) like many I guess, I'd always considered the 1968 double album a collection of individual efforts more than a cohesive release from a group, there's John's experimentation, Paul too showing a foretaste of his solo directions and George moving more into his own. The accompanying release of these demo tapes presents a different take entirely, the group engaging and influencing one another in the embryonic stages of the tracks featured on the final l.p.

It's like discovering a brand new album listening to songs like Back In The USSR and While My Guitar Gently Weeps after their proto-versions are still ringing in one's ears.
    sooner or later we all make the little flowers grow

In honor of the frigid weather, I've played "The Mills Brothers Greatest Hits" and "Ring-a-Ding-Ding!" back to back! Primary reason is to hear Les Freres Mills and Frank sing "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm." I played each track three times, and hope I never see a day as cold as this one (-2 with a -15 wind chill) EVER AGAIN! Oh, yeah, the rest of both albums are wonderful, to say the least!
    Stanley

You Only Live Twice just came on at the salon I'm at. It's like they know I'm here.

Don'tcha love it when that happens!

8. Philip Glass Piano Works beautifully interpreted by Scandinavian pianist Vikingur Olafsson. A breathtaking baroque take on Glass's minimalist masterpieces.

Fresh off the "Best Picture" Oscar, I've been playing my Don Shirley cds. You HAVE to hear his versions of "This Nearly Was Mine," "I Can't Get Started," "It Could Happen To You," "Blue Skies," and an "unreal" 7min., 50 second "Tribute to Billie Holiday ("Traveling Light," "Don't Explain," "Easy Living," & "G-d Bless The Child"). The Don Shirley Trio was extraordinary -- a totally unique sound that has never been duplicated! AMAZING!
    Stanley

As far as modern music goes, I keep coming back to this recording. It features some great sax work mixed among the droning electronica. It's got a very 80s vibe, but feels very forward thinking and not just drumming up the typical tropes of the era.

Listening to " I Remember Tommy." Wonderful orchestrations & conducting by Sy Oliver. Frank in great, great voice! This album is a significant favorite of mine because it hearkens back to The Big Band Era! When I first heard it, I wrote to Jo Stafford, and asked her if she was planning to do something similar. She sent me a lovely note, and the gist of it made great "marketing" sense. She said that everyone automatically associated Frank with TD, and that would give the album a "ready-made" audience, whereas she was one of The Pied Pipers. She said that if her "billing" had been "Jo Stafford & The Pied Pipers" she probably would have been out with a TD tribute album in the 50's, when she was at her peak. Jo was an inordinately bright lady, and a fabulous singer! "I Remember Tommy" is terrific!
    Stanley