6.Day By Day
    7.Come Back To Sorrento
    8.I Hear A Rhapsody
    9.Someone To Watch Over Me
    10.September Song
    11.Among My Souvenirs
    12.Always
    Chris

This album was first issued by Columbia on September 21, 1959 (not 1954) as an LP (Columbia CL 1359). It was part of the LP compilation's programme that Columbia kept issueing from their Sinatra catalogue, all recordings being from Sinatra's Columbia years, in the 50s to try to compare with Sinatra's Capitol output.

It was also re-released on CD by Columbia/Sony in the 80s (Japanese remastering issue) with the original album cover artwork.

Bernhard.

Thank you for correcting me on that Bernhard. I was not really sure about the date. Is the cd version still available??
    Chris

I don't think so, it seems to be deleted. But I only did a very quick search a few minutes ago because I was hoping to catch a cover scan for posting it here. Perhaps some copies are still available somewhere. Over here (Germany) I haven't seen the CD in the shops for years. Also, the CD price was horribly expensive, as with all those "Japanese remasters".

The album also holds its value because while all the songs are on the Columbia 12 CD set, it contains a few alternate versions not on that set. Adding to that, notably it has the Sinatra recording of "Day By Day" (22.8.45) version that was later overdubbed with bongo drums! The overdubbing was made on behalf of Columbia producer Mitch Miller for the re-issue of the Columbia single in the mid-50s, when Sinatra was already with Capitol Records. "Come Back To Sorrento" marked the first album release of the bongo version.

Bernhard.

Come Back To Sorrento

The lettering looks like early Letraset. I like this cover a lot. Contains the original Among My Souvenirs. The one in the Complete Blue Box isn't as good. This is a Japanese CD. Inside the front insert is a folded up page of the lyrics in Japanese. I've never unfolded it as I see there's no reason to for I don't speak Japanese.

I think Charley Records in England issued a CD in 1997 titled Among My Souvenirs. I checked the time of Among My Souvenirs on the back of that disc and it's probably the same as the one on Come Back To Sorrento. If you see it, get it. Why Columbia did not master that version for the 12 disc collection put out in 1993, I don't know. It is so sad and really nails the feeling that the song intends.

Hey Guys guess what I found at a record show

Yes I found the lp "come back to Sorrento"
    and in excellent shape not a scratch on it
    paid 8.00 dollars for it but I think it was well worth it

If I may make one comment,Frank never took Italian lessons
    just joking being First generation Italian and speaking with an
    neopalitain dielite I had to giggle a little when Frank sang the title song in Italian. just a little history my Dad was born in the state of Sorrento,and Torna Sorrento is our Family's favorite song
    It was still a great find

Frank
    Frank
    Old Man Music

8. Thumbs up nice thread indeed!!

just adding some more info about "Torna a Sorrento", I 'd like to say that on the track list , the song is Luna Rossa (not rosa), that means "Blushing Moon". About Frank learning the "Italian language", I "suppose" he learned a lot with his parents, and grandparents, as well, who possibly used, no doubt, to talk at their homes in dialetto, from Genoa till Sicily dialettos. On this case, it's "neapolitan dialetto",... however Frank performs this song with such a "mix"of words in this song...that's performed in a condensed form, just a part of it, not entirely. In the original, "Torna a Surriento" is a little bit different from Frank's performing. Well, a great song written by 2 great neapolitans(brothers), lyrics and song. thanks, Paolo.
    Come Rain or Come Shine.....
    Paolo

Thanks Paolo

Hello Paolo
    it been while
    thanks for the explaination
    by the way,I must correct my statement my Dad was born in
    Salerno not Sorrento
    the song Torna sorrento is still my family song

Frank
    Frank
    Old Man Music

10. Like to have this on CD

I would love for this to be re released.
    I have the LP would like the Cd.

Come back to Sorrento is a great LP

Domenico
    "You gotta love livin, Cuz dyin's a pain in the a**" - Francis Albert Sinatra.

11. I WANT TO BUY THAT CD!

WHAT IS THE COST AND WHERE CAN I BUY THEM?

GIMME A PHONE NUMBER AND ADDRESS.

12. No reason to be mean Vincent

If its a bootleg i dont want it...............................................
    But if its legit, I would be interested but no reason to be cold to a fellow Sinatra fan.

Domenic

13. I will find it....come hell or high water.

SINATRA COME BACK TO SORRENTO WILL BE MINE!!!!

EVIL LAUGH HAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

***If I may make one comment,Frank never took Italian lessons
    just joking being First generation Italian and speaking with an
    neopalitain dielite I had to giggle a little when Frank sang the title song in Italian.***

In spring 1962, Sinatra had decided to record an album of great Italian love songs for Reprise. It was set to become Reprise F/FS 1007. Don Costa was commissioned to write the arrangements and the song selection was made, including “Al Di La,” ‘’Sorrento,” “O Sole Mio,” and “Mamma.” Reprise even did a mock-up cover for the album. Sinatra rehearsed rather extensively, but he was having problems with the language. He had never been fluent in Italian and it became very apparent that he wasn’t going to overcome this obstacle.

Don Costa suggested to Sinatra to learn the tunes phonetically. Sinatra did this, but soon realized the lack of interpretative power with this approach. The project was put on the backburner and Reprise released the “All Alone” album (recorded January 1962) as Reprise F/FS 1007 in October.

In spring of 1965, Sinatra revived the Italian album idea and added some more songs. On the 1965 CBS TV special "An American Original" there is a brief scene with Sinatra accompanied by Bill Miller rehearsing one of the scheduled tracks, "Anima e Core", at the time he was shooting "Marriage On The Rocks". Reportedly he still had trouble to overcome the language barrier, and so the project was finally abandoned.

So "Sorrento" aside, the main Italian song by Sinatra that survives is his version of "Santa Lucia" done in Italian. He performed it, one chorus only, at his White House concert (along with Perry Como) in March 1982, at a gala evening President Reagan gave for the Italian President of State Sandro Pertini.

Bernhard.

15. I found a great Italian song

I just bought the new CLASSIC & STANDARDS off SONY SPECIAL MUSIC CD's and Frank Sinatra sings on Track 5 "Torna A Surrento" (Come back to Sorrento) and I think he sounds fabulous singing Italian. I wish REPRISE would have released a full LP of Italian songs.

Domenic Vitanza
    Parma Heights,Ohio

bump- I think this thread has a lot of useful info.
    Pedro

This is such a great album. I love hearing Frank sing in Italian. Does anyone know where I can find his recording of "O Sole Mio"?

"Does anyone know where I can find his recording of "O Sole Mio"?"

I believe Bernhard said that the recording never happened.

It's strange that alot of the Italian American singers found it hard to sing in Italian or the Neapolitan dialect. Al Martino was the best of a bad bunch really. Dean Martin was ok but lazy and sometimes misread the words. Frankie Lane didn't even approach the subject and Tony Bennett well "the Great American Songbook" has always been his gig.The best by far was the trucker from Philly Mario Lanza, the same back ground and diet as the rest but with a better ear, or maybe he just heard alot of Itailan and dialect whilst growing up. Lanza sounded like a native Italian.

Something that has to be said, Sinatra was always smarter than most. If he couldn't do it right then he would not touch it. Always tried to do what suited him. He must have loved those songs with a passion,it was in his blood but he knew there were others that did them better.

19. Bump...

Adam
    Adam
    Be Aware & Don't Despair

20. Did he ever sing any Italian songs besides Santa Lucia in his later concert years?
    James DeFrances