Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sinatra In Concert At The Royal Festival Hall (1970) DVD/VHS

From a post in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by pointreyes View Post
    Does anybody with a bit of knowledge on here know who the pianist is on the song I Will Drink The Wine on the Sinatra At the Royal Festival Hall dvd?

It is absolutely fantastic playing.
    It's definitely not Bill Miller, who conducts the orchestra during "I Will Drink The Wine" and most of the other numbers in the concert. (Miller takes over at piano for "The Lady Is A Tramp" and the two songs immediately preceding—"Didn't We?" and "One For My Baby"—but he is clearly seen conducting behind FS during "Wine".)

I believe it may be Lou Levy, the great jazz pianist who accompanied Ella Fitzgerald for many years and who sometimes subbed for Bill Miller with FS around that time period. Unfortunately, the camera angles are such that he is blocked from view most of the time, but I was able to capture the following frame from the DVD, which shows the best closeup of his face, during Frank's intro to "I Will Drink The Wine." The highlighting is mine:

Perhaps Jeffrey Simmons will know his identity? It looks like Lou Levy to me, although I don't have much other photographic evidence with which to compare.

Bumping for some recent discussion in the FS forum: That foggy day in ol' London Town (post #23 ff.).

Also, I wonder if Jeffrey recalls this concert well enough to answer the preceding question from some time ago, which he may have missed when it was originally posed.

I just came back to this thread by accident so I am sorry I did not respond earlier.

Lovely photo of Frank.

Actually, I honestly cannot say that I ever before noticed a different pianist for "I Will Drink The Wine." That may be because when Frank is on screen my eyes are usually just on him.

I will watch it again and see if I notice. As of now I do not recognise the person in the photo. Sorry.

Bob, what exactly was the other question I missed? I will attempt to answer if I can.
    Jeffrey

Thats definitely Lou Levy Bob, or his twin brother.

Theres some nice Frank references in Levy's obituary from 2001 http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ob...vy-728750.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Perhaps Jeffrey Simmons will know his identity? It looks like Lou Levy to me, although I don't have much other photographic evidence with which to compare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Simmons View Post
    Bob, what exactly was the other question I missed? I will attempt to answer if I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Bradley78 View Post
    Thats definitely Lou Levy Bob, or his twin brother.
    Thanks, Nick. Jeffrey: I'd forgotten all about it, but there was just the one question. It looks like we have the answer.

My first viewing of a Frank Sinatra Concert tonight and enjoyed watching it. I liked the selection of songs thought it was a good mix some I knew and a couple of new tunes that I had not heard him sing before.

Nina

Bumped for this concert's inclusion as part of the November 2nd Release of Frank Sinatra : The Concert Collection DVD box.

FYI: The links to the old Jazz Professional Magazine found in this thread are all broken.

But, the interviews seem to be all available at the British National Jazz Archive in this section:
    http://www.nationaljazzarchive.co.uk/stories

There are scores of wonderful interviews there [Ex: several with Benny Goodman].

9. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Belvedere View Post
    FYI: The links to the old Jazz Professional Magazine found in this thread are all broken.
    Thanks, Bob. Were there more than one? I notice only this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Insight from Don Lusher
    Trombone player for this performance, the late Don Lusher - who solos on 'Skin', recalls the RFH engagement:
    http://www.jazzprofessional.com/inte...20Lusher_2.htm
    The Wayback Machine to the rescue: —> Don Lusher Interview 2: Working with Frank Sinatra

Bob in Boston

I though there were two.

Here's the Don Lusher one: http://www.nationaljazzarchive.co.uk/stories?id=348

For NJ Members

Tonight, Jersey Vision, Channel 58.1, New Jersey's PBS Station, will be airing the 1970 concert from London as part of its fund raising efforts. Frank is introduced by Princess Grace of Monaco (Grace Kelly). Showtime is 8PM.
    Out of the tree of life, I just picked me a plum

12. Not just tonight, and not just New Jersey. Many PBS TV stations nationwide are airing the program this season:

—> NJTV Schedule: Sinatra | New Jersey Public Media
    —> SINATRA IN CONCERT AT ROYAL FESTIVAL HALL | American Public Television

Source: YouTube

Suggest relocation to the appropriate TV thread:

—> Sinatra In Concert At The Royal Festival Hall (1970) DVD/VHS

Bob.
    Last edited by Bob in Boston; 12-02-2018 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    Many PBS TV stations nationwide are airing the program this season...
    The 2016 Eagle Rock DVD At The Royal Festival Hall + Sinatra In Japan is also currently offered as a Pledge Drive thank you gift.

Added: There is also a DVD/3-CD bundle, which adds Standing Room Only.
    Last edited by AndrewT; 12-02-2018 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added bundle.
    Andrew

This has been airing on Sky Arts in the UK in recent weeks

15. Additional discussion of the version of this concert on the DVD in the 2014 Sinatra: London box set, starting here:

Frank Sinatra Recordings: —> SINATRA: LONDON (UMe) 2014 (post #387)

Bob.

EVERYTHING about the London Box Set is THRILLING!! The packaging, the cds, the dvd, the booklet -- all are magnificently presented! Eunice and I estimate that, by now, we've had at least 150-160 brunch and/or dinner guests who've been able to share our thrills!
    Stanley

17. How exciting! I need to see if I can catch this on my PBS station
    Kate

"Frank is just like you. Just like me. Only bigger."

When my dad called me numerous times when I was away from the phone, I called him back frantically asking who died, what's wrong? He ended up calling to tell me that I should come home this weekend because this special will be on PBS. He ended our call with, "Princess. Grace is even in it!" I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. I hope you all will check your local listings to see if it is playing on your PBS station.

19. Re: Paul Ryan and “I Will Drink the Wine”

[ Reposted from the Frank Sinatra Recordings thread: —> SINATRA AND COMPANY (Reprise) 1971 ]

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I never knew that Frank knew Marion Ryan! […]
    Presumably Paul wrote I Will Drink The Wine specifically for Frank. […]
    Marion Ryan was married to Harold Davidson, the British promoter who managed Frank Sinatra’s shows in the UK. Three weeks after recording “I Will Drink the Wine” in Hollywood, FS performed the song at the Royal Festival Hall in London, with Paul Ryan in the audience. The concert was filmed by the BBC for a televised special, and is available on DVD, including in the recent Sinatra: London box set.

See also the thread in Frank on TV forum: —> Sinatra In Concert At The Royal Festival Hall (1970) DVD/VHS

Frank introduces the RFH concert performance as follows:

“As far as I’m concerned, I’m about to do something rather unusual in doing a brand new song. But I think it’d be fun to do it here, because it was written here not too long ago, and recently we made a recording of it in Los Angeles. And it was written by a boy who belongs to a couple of awfully dear friends of mine, and we think it’s going to be a big hit. He’s a youngster, and I think he’s got great talent. (I would like to dedicate this to Dean Martin…) It’s called ‘I Will Drink the Wine’—by Paul Ryan!”

”I Will Drink the Wine” (Live at Royal Festival Hall, 16th November 1970)

Source: YouTube

Bob.